Tempest-Currituck?

Flatpick…hmmmmm…
Appreciate your response. If I am comfortable in the T170, does that mean that is the correct boat for me? I weight will range from 200-215 (where it is now)…so I am leaning (no pun intended) towards the T170.

However, to be careful…in the event I range in weight from 200-215…AND the T170 is comfortable…is that actually too much weight for the T170? Would it make more sense if I want to pursue more advanced paddling technique…to purchase a T180 (more ballast to counteract my weight)…or the T170 (smaller and more manueverable)…am not sure?

I was told by a salesman that paddling a T170 with my weight and size 44 jacket size…that I would be muscling paddling techniques in the T170…vs. in the T180 where it would be ‘more graceful’ (per the salesman)…

What do you…and of course others think about the T170 vs. T180 question for this inbetweener…

Many thanks…

Bob

just got done
with a 7-day San Juan Island trip, guiding 10 clients, and I paddled the 180. It was GREAT. Lots of room and comfort. My other guide and I stopped at Boston Harbor (right out of Olympia, WA) for a daytrip yesterday on the way home and I jumped into my unloaded 165. What a difference. The three T’s are very, very similar in all aspects, just different sizes.

I’d have to say that paddling the boats a bit will be the only way to REALLY tell. I only weight 175-80 and find all three boats work. I’d have to really par down kit to do the 165, the 170 is right on and I’d have room to spare in the 180. Given the work I do and the loads I carry I find the 180 a fine vessel and NOT a barge, as many BIG boats are.

hope this helps.

steve