Tendonitis and Paddling Followup

Just wanted to make a followup on this subject for all those who read the original post.

I went on a 50 mile trip this week over the course of 3 days.

My wrist became very inflamed and swollen. Painful…but helpful as I think I now know what is causing the problem.

On the third day my wrist was really bothering me but I had to paddle back to my car. I had to try to figure out how to paddle and minimize doing further damage to my injury.

Here is what I learned.

Despite the fact that I paddle with only a 30 degree feather and despite the fact that I was convinced that this angle was ergonomic for me and did not require me to flex my wrist, I was wrong.

I found that I was flexing my wrist very slightly and this was contributing the injury. I think I was also putting some torque on my wrist when paddling hard. I think my tendency was to grip the paddle and flex the wrist ever so slightly when in the catch phase of my stroke when really paddling hard and fast.

On the way back I switched to unfeathered and REALLY concentrated on keeping my wrist in line and not putting any torque on it whatsoever.

This helped quite a bit. Also found that the tennis elbow issue did not bother me any longer either.

So…as some of the posters had suggested the problem was / is biomechanical. From now on I am going unfeathered and will really concentrate on keeping my wrist in line. Concentrating on a smooth paddle exit helps me to do this.

So hopefully others can learn from my problem and prevent the same from happening to them one day.

Unfortunately though I think I still need to address the injury because the change in form is not enough to make it go away at this point, but it will help prevent the injury from happening again once I get it squared away.

Matt

Adjustable feather paddles may help
some people who will tend to clench up and experience fatigue and pain no matter what particular feather angle they use. I have surprisingly little trouble with 70 degrees, but there are times I wish I could change to another feather angle, at least for cruising.

tendonitis- feather angle?

– Last Updated: Mar-29-08 9:11 AM EST –

At Raystown Dave Yost shown me that a bent shaft Werner paddle with 15 degree feather was functionally neutral when paddling. Seemed to work, I plan to check it out on day long paddles.

Of course a continuously growing number of the gray headed/grey bearded folks are finding Greenland paddles easier on their bodies.

Presently I favor Aleut paddles for longer days and Greenland paddles for play.

Dave

Are You Warming Up?

On the way back I switched to unfeathered and REALLY concentrated on keeping my wrist in line and not putting any torque on it whatsoever.

This helped quite a bit. Also found that the tennis elbow issue did not bother me any longer either.

So…as some of the posters had suggested the problem was / is biomechanical. From now on I am going unfeathered and will really concentrate on keeping my wrist in line.

I agree with you, bowler1.

yes
I do warm up well.

15 degree feather probably is functionally neutral, but at that point I would just rather go unfeathered. In the event you ever change to another brand paddle etc it would be easy to find one that can go with a 0 degree feather. Not sure if any other paddle other than the Werners can go to 15 degrees.

Matt

Excellent
My doctor told me the older I got the more warm up I required. I’ve found it to be true.

A Greenland paddle with elbows down seems to keep my wrists happy.

Hope you heal…
…what a pain. Good luck.

Did any of you guys try the B-6 yet ?
I know, but really, it DOES work.

A small bottle is 1.37 or something like that. You will feel the difference in three days.

No but I will
Guess I missed that in the last post. I assume you are talking about vitamin B-6.

I’m up for anything. I’ll pick up a bottle today!

Matt

More info on B-6 please.

Other paddles
Seem to be a lot of them now. Epic’s length lock has always been totally adjustable, I saw another major-name paddle whose name escapes that could do any feather, and even my H2O WW blade is their standard 12 degree version.

picked up B6 today
Its 100 mg. Is this the right strengh? Hoping it works for me!

Pulled from the other thread. B-6
OR … just take a pill …

Posted by: onnopaddle on Mar-05-08 7:39 AM (EST)

– Last Updated: Mar-05-08 7:44 AM EST –

I do way too much palm down / pushing, fileing and sanding of stuff. Occupational and my elbow is aways ‘there’. This summer I moved a bunch of heavy rocks and while I felt it coming. I thought “well I’m gonna’ feel this tomorrow” but it will go away … not … instead lit the fuse and my inner elbow ‘spot’ got to the point that I had trouble washing my hair or lifting a drink … paradoxically, I could still work . …

Came across a suggestion on the surfski forum for Vitamin B-6 …and thought, “well I don’t eat right anyway so what can it hurt ?” …

Started taking 50mg a day and felt something but not much … upped it to 150 and within three days i felt like my elbow have been injected with some kind of super lube … nagging pain was still there but just not as noticeable …

I knew I should but it didn’t hurt enough to make me do it so I did NOT slow down or modify my work habits that have had me living with this thing for years now in any way …just kept going …

Fast forward about 30 days now and off the B-6 for a couple weeks … NO pain whatsoever … it just went away … I can still feel it there if I touch it but for the first time in years I do not have the constant buzz going on @ my inner elbow corner …

Synapsized … get the small bottle of B-6 and run through the whole thing … happens slow over a few weeks but I think you would be amazed …