Tent choice.

Eureka Equinox 6
$50 over

Read the whole review…

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21420620&memberId=12500226

What’s the floor dimensions?
I saw the sq. ft. but not the length, width.

Paul S.

Tent or Hammock
Consider a camping Hammock: never an issue with rocks, roots or pinecones, and they pretty much come in your price range, which tents, as spec’d mostly don’t.

Clark Jungle Hammock, Hennessey and Crazy Creek make the best, in descending order of clostrophobia. Be sure to get the biggest fly available.

second that–> Eureka
I’ve camped for over 15 years from New Mexico to Maine.

Got rid of all the mipriced Colemans and Eddie Bauers, now use a backpacker type Eureka 2XT Mountain Pass(too small for your use). It ventilates better, sets up quicker & offers more wing/storage/closure options than any tent I’ve ever had. Eureka has actual customer service, too, and because they are a large company parts and repair kits are easy to find.

Give that 3XT serious consideration.

hmm
I don’t really know, but i am 6’3" and have plenty of room to spare. I am sure if you googled around it would list the floor space. Its heavy for back packing, but for yack camping its nearly perfect!!

Eureka Assault Outfitter
I had to smile when I saw the post for the US Marine Combat Tent. I was going to also suggest the Eureka Assault Outfitter, which is Eureka’s commercial version of their Marine Combat Tent. It is a tough-as-nails tent - ready for any kind of weather.

That is the tent I bring when I think we’re in for some nasty weather. For longer-term camping I much prefer to be able to stand up inside the tent, which is why I bought the 6’ tall Alps Mountaineering Meramac 6-person.

By the way, to the original poster, what is a “half dome” tent?

Floor Dimensions
Here are some of the specs on the Eureka Assault Outfitter:

floor - 7’6"x8’6"

height - 4’8"

weight - 13 lbs. 5 oz.

doors - 2

stakes - 3 min + 6 opt + 5 storm

Web page: http://www.eurekacamping.com/assaultoutfitter4.asp

A great tent!

half dome
"By the way, to the original poster, what is a “half dome” tent?"

Sometimes referred to as dome, sometimes half dome. Dome is probably a better description. This shape here.

http://tinyurl.com/26wcyj

Paul S.

I like this.
Does it have zip up pannels over the mesh? It’s heavier material than most. The Assault 2 is 8’ x 5’ not conting the vestibules. Thanks.

Paul S.

hammock
Here’s something to consider: I started sleeping in a hammock last summer and will never go back to a tent again. I bring a Hennessey Hammock to sleep in and another hammock (Byer traveler) that I hang next to the Hennessey for all my gear. I use the large hex shaped rain fly which is more than adequate for keeping everything dry. Since nothing is near the ground nothing gets wet. You can adjust the tarp to allow for a better view or more converage depending on the weather. The hammock is so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The only draw back to a hammock is that you might get cold if the temp is low. I can get by with mine down to about 50*F before needing and “underquilt”. For wet clothes, you can hang them under the tarp on a line.

-Nancy

Eureka Assault Outfitter

– Last Updated: Feb-26-07 11:05 PM EST –

The mesh is only on the large doors front and back, and the small hooded vents in the front corners. Both the doors and the corner vents have zip-up covers. In the picture of the tent without the fly the door panel is unzipped and rolled up at the floor. The rest of the upper portion of the tent body is breathable nylon - not mesh. The dark area you see inside the tent on the far side is a large mesh pocket - there's one on each side.

On the Eureka Assault web page, click on the "Floor Plan" link just above the specification list. The light grey areas are the mesh doors and vents - again, both have zip-up nylon covers (I can't recall if the inner doors are waterproof nylon or are breathable nylon - I think its breathable). The dark areas are breathable nylon. The dotted areas are the floorless vestibules that are part of the fly.

Eureka stopped selling the 2-person version, but you may still find some out there. I recommend the 4-person version anyway.

I found a chink in the armor.

– Last Updated: Feb-27-07 11:21 AM EST –

You have to slide the poles through cloth sleeves, old style. I suppose the advantage is that it's stronger than clips. Disadvantage is more of a pain taking the tent down, trying to slide the poles out without them coming apart while in the sleeves. I can live with that. On my larger 9 x 9 x 6 cheapo tent, the sleeves are starting to wear out. Can't replace sleeves like you can clips (I think). I noticed a lot of the North Face tents still have sleeves. Everyone else seems to have gone mostly to clips.

Another chink I picked up from a review, and obvious from the pics when I think about it, is that the doors unzip from the top and lay on the ground. Easy for them to get stepped on. Could damage the mesh. I think side zip doors would be better.

Last is that same reviewer that mentioned the doors said water can collect on the top where the three poles make a triangle. Material can sag and collect water. Have to push it off from the inside.

Still looks like a great size and tough tent and I'm seriously considering it. Just looking for any issues. Happy to hear alternative views on the issues above.

Paul S.

This looks like a winner for a large
base camp tent for family, or for myself in total comfort. I’m 6’ 2" so the 6’ 7" center is great. Also has the covers on the mesh.

Thanks,

Paul S.

Reviews here are consistant with elsewhe
Some people say no leaks at all. A few people have found leaks. May be a quality issue.

Paul S.

Mesh covers
I know, this is probably a hold over from my owning a 22 y. o. and 15 y. o. cheapo tents. I’ve never experienced the full rain fly, close fitting, down to the ground. If I tried one at 40 F and windy, I might find it’s fine. I know, wanting the panels cuts down on my options. I don’t like a breeze though, if that were to occur.

Would use the tent for 40 F nights often, occasionally approaching 30F, fall in the Sierras. Just a maybe, but might try winter in the foothills, which would be down to 30F. Wouldn’t camp if the weather called for lower. Heck, I was kayaking yesterday, lake in the foothills, 35 F, blowing rain by 4 PM, but didn’t want to go home. It’s just so awesome out there when no one’s around. Not even any fishermen out yesterday. Never hot and humid here, compared to East Coast. I’ve never felt too hot in the cheapo tents. It’s just that they’re not so water tight.

The Hammerhead is supposed to vent very well, with huge mesh areas. It’s just that there’s zipped panels over them in case I want to close it up. I don’t see a down side, given the HH and Eureka Assault meet my needs and have the covers.

Thanks for the other recommendations on models, too. I still have to look up one or two. Yeah, the Bedouin caught my eye. If I decided to go bigger, and ok with no panels over the mesh, this would be a good one. Though, below now, SuperTroll pointed out the Eureka Equinox, slightly bigger and with panels.

Thanks again.

Paul S.

I’d love to try one.
In a bed, I like to sleep on my side. If cradled like that, on my back might be good. Would be a few apps, like open field at a fair ground, or with family, or possibly not allowed to string a hammock to the trees, where I would still want one tent.

This might be a pipe dream, but when paddling lakes in the Sierras, sometimes I think, man, instead of going back to base camp, I’d just like to pull over for the night, walk into the Doug Fir woods, albeit heavy underbrush, curl up for the night, then continue the next day. No frills. A sleeping back, cold food, and shelter. A hammock might work good for that. First I should pull over and actually walk into the woods and see what it’s like :-).

Paul S.

Hammerhead 2 is nice

– Last Updated: Feb-27-07 1:34 AM EST –

I bought one in 2005 when I took a road trip in my then-topperless truck and the very old tent I had brought with me sprung some leaks. I managed to find a Hammerhead 2 on sale in the area (near Bend, OR) and bought that. But I only used it for 4 or 5 nights on that trip. My truck topper arrived soon after I got home, and the Hammerhead is too bulky for me to use in kayak camping (I have a single-person tent for that purpose).

It is a terrific car-camping tent, or for two backpackers who will split their load among them. I love the huge ventilating yet covered panel, and it is a much warmer tent than any I have owned. I specifically chose it because I too wanted full fabric covers that could be rolled or removed, over the mesh parts. I had spent too many cold or dust-ridden nights in the damned mostly-mesh tents manufacturers have been pushing for the last few years. If you use one of those mesh-ridden tents in the desert, BEWARE, you'll get dust all over everything inside with anything more than a slight breeze.

I have been dithering over whether to sell the Hammerhead 2 because I don't really need it, yet it's such a nice tent I am reluctant to do so. For one person, there is LOTS of room, and it has two vestibules, a handy thing even when you're alone. It got poured on overnight in WA yet there was no condensation inside, and not a drop got in from outside. Very nice having a real double-wall tent, yet with the option to vent a huge portion of it.

I use a Eureka
Alpine Meadows 4 for base camping solo or with a dog. Plenty of room for my cot, table, chair and gear. It’s like a Timberline (A frame) but with a center hoop that pulls out the walls for more usable space. I can just about stand in it. It has weathered many a stormy nite without fail. No vestibule though.

Eureka Assault Outfitter Doors

– Last Updated: Feb-27-07 12:30 PM EST –

Yup, it has pole sleeves. I too think it is because in extreme conditions the sleeves are much stronger than the clips. The seams on the sleeves are sewn such that they don't catch, and sliding the poles in is pretty easy. Since the sleeves are lightweight mesh, I can usually pull the poles out without them coming undone as long as I'm careful.

The door does unzips down, but it falls on the inside of the tent, not the outside. It is easy to roll it or scrunch it and use the provided "holders" to keep it out of the way. To be honest I can't remember if the holders are velcro tabs or elastic turnbuckles - either way works.

The door on the front vestibule is fastened on the left side (facing the tent) so I tent to flip it over to the side rather than roll it up. The rear vestibule door zips up the middle - like the older tents.

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere too. I've used my Assault when it was pouring outside and I had no problem with water accumulation.

My only frustration is that when exiting the tent with the front vestibule closed, it is quite a reach to grab the zipper tab at the right front bottom (facing the tent). I've thought about tying a 2 foot piece of cord to the zipper pull to make it easier.

Add on vestibule
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=11979

Paul S.