Tent choice.

Tent Tip
We do a LOT of tent camping! Like about 20-30 days a year.

My tip is to set up in the back yard and apply seam seal to the seams before using, and then spray the fly with camp dry.

If you do this, it will make even a cheapo tent bombproof.

hammock
I tried my hammock in the backyard before I was adventurous enough to take it on a trip. While packing for a solo 3-day kayak trip I realized my tent was taking up too much room, so I opted to leave it behind. I was nervous about just having the hammock, but it worked out very well. Lying on the diagonal I was able to sleep on my side, or back and found it very comfortable. You really need a good sleeping hammock, though, not just any hammock. I have not tried the others, but I love my Hennessy. You can use just about any hammock for your gear if you want to keep it off the ground and you can even make your own. Directions to make your own can be found here:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

-Nancy

Hammocks in winter
That Hennessey is far and away the most refined hammock available, but the bottom entry precludes using a full length thermarest. One’s legs slip through the slot with the pad. Clark and Crazy Ck are warmer off-season for that reason.

cew

Good advice, thanks.
I’ll try that. I need tent tips like that.

One of my tents is a Sears Hillary family dome tent, 9’ x 9’ x ~ 6’with a rain fly that just comes about half way down the tent. It’s about 12 years old, still in good shape. Last fall I took it camping up in Washington. It rained like a dog one night. I’d done a stupid stupid thing. I left the plastic ground tarp out a couple inches past the edge of the tent. Rain ran down the side of the tent, onto the tarp, under the tent, and through the floor. Luckily I was on a plastic thermarest type matt, and it was just me. Edges of sleeping bag, pillow, etc., got wet though. Also water came through the walls some where stuff was touching. I know not to let stuff touch the walls, but still it happens.

The spray and tape should help with that for sure. I want to get tents with rain fly’s all the way to the ground, too, though. The other thing I’ve read about just recently is you can put a tarp on the floor inside the tent as a vapor barrier, in a pinch. I wish I’d known about that on my Washington trip. Of course if I hadn’t left the ground tarp sticking out, that alone probably would have been enough.

My other tent is a Golden Bear dome tent, 6’ 6" x 4’ x ~ 3’ 6" H, for back packing. I bought it for $40 I think, in 1983. Used it last year, too, not for back packing. It’s too small for me, and has some little ~ 1/6" holes now at the edges of the floor. I suppose I could tape the little holes to extend the life, as an extra fair weather tent.

I figure the family tent will still work for awhile. I want to get a good “4 man”, actual 2 man tent for me and occasionally me and one other person. Maybe later replace the family tent, too.

Thanks again,

Paul S.

Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 SL
Just bought one - only $199 thru Campmor. Just 2 lbs 13 oz. complete. 22 square feet with a 5 sq ft vestibule. Very highly rated. This replaces my 25+ yr. old Eureka Timberline. Next comes an ultralight (1 lb. 3 oz.) sleeping bag and I’m off to the races!

I’m going a week long paddle and hike in trail maintenance volunteer vacation in BWCA in August and I really look forward to going light.

JH Bahn

Hub Problems
I have a similar Eureka and I had problems with the plastic hub failing in the peak. I went through two of them and the tent was nearly new. Both times far from civilization. Thank goodness for duct tape.

I finally had a machinist mill me one out of block aluminum. Problem solved.

Something to consider if this version has a plastic hub in the peak.

Springbar
When I’m car camping, I’m looking for comfort. I use a Timbeline 2 when canoe camping, but for car camping, I like to be comfortable - cot, table, chair, and I insist on being able to stand up to dress. So I got a Springbar tent - canvas and bulletproof. Easy to set up and it has withstood drenching rain and hail.

http://springbar.com/explore/deluxe/3401.html

I feel like a civil war general in my campaign tent.

Doc

Thanks everyone!
I almost said this in my OP. It’s even more clear now. Like with boats, there are a lot of good tents and a lot of good tent manufacturers. Choosing the right one has to do with your needs and preferences. Even then, there’s a number of makes and models for which you can’t go too wrong.

I realize my specs in my OP implied either a contradiction; car camping vs kayak camping; or a compromise. Some of your comments have helped me face that. Do I want a mini light for kayak camping or a hotel room tent for base camp, or both, or a compromise.

I’m still gonna go with the compromise. Two reasons. 1. I anticipate sharing a campsite with other kayakers a number of times next summer. That means I might not get the 12’ x 12’ spot. Being base camp though, I don’t want to spend the weekend in a mini either. 2. I have a old cheapo mini, and a cheapo hotel room, and my daughter has a new mini light (which I paid for actually) which I could borrow (when she’s not with me, and not otherwise using it.)

I’m gonna arrange to set up the HH3 at RIE, crawl inside and try it out for size. If it seems big enough, and I otherwise like it, then I’m done. If not big enough, I’m gonna think seriously about the assault outfitter. Maybe it’s the Marines appeal?

I can add a nice mini or hammock or family hotel room later if necessary.

Thanks again. I’ve really valued the conversations, and have a lot better feel for what’s out there now.

Paul S.

confirmed hammocker
I too made the switch to using a Hennessy, 4 years ago. And I’ll never go back to ground sleeping. I solo bushwhack and never have any trouble fiinding a couple of trees with the right spacing. No need to worry about ground conditions underneath. Much easier than searching for a tiny flat piece of dry ground for even a small solo tent in the Adirondack backcountry. I sleep on my side nearly perfectly flat very comfortably.

I don’t find the Hennessy bottom entry is a problem with it opening at all. Just be sure to match the velcro closure together. Since the hammock is cut so that you sleep on a diagonal, there should be little weight on the opening slit.

The biggest problem with a hammock is using an insulating pad beneath you, which is necessary for all but the warmest nights. If you simply try to lay on top, the whole pad wants to “squirt” out and ends up on top of you rather than staying underneath. Solve that in one of 2 ways… either buy or make (fold over and sew a bedsheet together) a loose fitting overbag for your sleeping bag and pad to fit into. The other way is to use a Big Agnes type of sleeping bag with a built in bottom sleeve to hold the pad in place. Either method works great. You’ll not want to go back to ground again.

Decision - Hammerhead 2
I decided to go with the Hammerhead 2. I saw the package size for the HH3 and decided it would take up too much room in a yak. Even though it’s mostly for base camping, I decided I want it to double as a kayak camping tent, too. Specs wise, the HH2 isn’t any bigger than most of the stand alone 2 person tents.

Later I can go for a bigger family size tent, for a bigger base camp tent, if I decide I need to replace the old cheapo one I have now (after I try seam seal and camp dry spray on it.)

Paul S.