tent suggestions?

tents
ll bean makes great tents at a fair price. My mountain dome has stood up to some terrific wind and rain storms. the vestibule works fine for gear storage but my lab is in the tent with me, afterall he is part of the family just like a kid.

Eureka Backcountry 2
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=46036&prmenbr=226

I’ve had mine for over 10 years…it’s withstood 70mph winds without being staked out…(I was in it at the time…under my Therm-a-rest!). I like to see what’s coming to eat me so don’t like tents with full-cover rainflies…I only use it for car-camping now as I am a dedicated hammock-tenter. I also dislike brightly colored tents so this one is perfect…and really easy to set-up…freestanding! always a good thing for people who like to change their minds…LOL…

I’ve got…
I’ve got a Eureka Timberline Outfitter 2 man, and a Eureka Timberline Outfitter 4 man. Can’t say I’ve ever had a problems with either one of them in any kind of weather. There are some that are cheaper, some are lighter, some more expensive, some are heavier, but few that will give you as many years of service with just a little timely maintenance. Been using them since the mid 80s.

BOB

Tent Search
There is a great website to help you find your dream tent. gearfinder.com will list every tent out there almost. You can search by weight, price, etc. But before you go there you need to have identified how you will use the tent. If you will be in a lot of storms you need a more substantial tent. If you are a fairweather paddler, then lighter weight gear will do. Some of the more reputable tents that I have experience with are Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, MSR, Sierra Design. I have experience with all of these brands in severe weather (mountaineering) and can attest to their quality. Having said that, my TNF VE-25 served me well on Denali but it weighs 11 lbs. I am looking for something in the five pound range for my family. I also strongly recommend a freestanding tent as you can pitch it anywhere. Lot of advice out there but I just looked on gearfinder and found over 60 tents that meet your criteria. Good Luck!

Wow! Great site, but…

– Last Updated: Feb-15-04 8:08 AM EST –

I fear it is a "yuppie/wanna-be" site.. Definnition:

Pay high dollar for something, because everyone else has it or it is "name-brand" equipment

I did go there & check it out for awhile this morning. Awsome sight, but with 1 problem:

It asks for weight (cool), size (cool), price (here is where it gets good). When it asks price it gives you a list to choose from, one option is "less than $100" (there is no $50 or $30 range, just "less than $100"). I looked up some items that I already have and have lasted me for years & either they DID NOT have them or they were overpriced!

EXAMPLE:

I have a bivy, paid $50 for. It is water "PROOF", wind resistant & has a bug screen across the face area. It rolls up 6"x5" and weighs 6oz.

The site has a bivy (least costly one), that is $90. It is water "RESISTANT", has no wind protection & no bug netting. It doesn't roll small & weighs more than 6oz.

Don't get me wrong! It is a good site to go to if you are looking for "IDEAS" on what to buy! Then you can go to other places & look for such items (& similar for less money). I have a "SPORTING GOODS OUTLET" near-by that I go to, check out the items for ideas on use, then I go to other stores & pay atleast $10-$20 less. But If you want to keep stuffing your $200 backpack full of paper towel to make it look full & pretend to be an outdoorsman, by all means.

OR, you can get a less costly pack & actually have money to buy "necassary equipment" to put in it..... ;)

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Am I a wanna-be?
I beleive I am. But that begs the question doesn’t it? What do I want to be?

Coffee, don’t berate a piece of gear because it is expensive or someone because they own it. There is some name brand expensive gear that you cant touch from a performance perspective and there is some that is junk. Knowing the difference is the key. When I spent three weeks climbing Denali(20320ft) I saw cheap tents colapse under heavy snow loads. More expensive tents tend to have more pole intersections which makes them stronger under heavy snow loads. Forget about even trying that expedition in a bivy sack, regardless of how much you spent on it.

As far as qualifications for being an outdoorsman…What does it take to qualify? I have spent plenty of time and money on and in the great outdoors. But what I think makes me a real outdoorsman is the never-quite-satisfied desire to get back out there and have a new experience.

When you go to Alaska for your Brown Bear, have fun. I spent four years in the outdoors of Alaska and there is nothing quite like it. Don’t try it with just a tarp or rainfly though. No matter what time of year it is that wont be enjoyable!

Ouch!Slapped down good!
Thats gotta hurt,eh Coffee?

Not really… If he has…
The skills & the money that is fine. Does he carry the necassary equipment or just make it loook that way? That is the question…

The skills is the more important part!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

How’s this for a bargin??
This one is right up CoffeeIIs alley. Partner and I were cleaning out the basement of the house/apartment/laundromat he’d recently sold. We’d run the laundromat togeather and I’d run a laundry repair business out of the basement. I never really looked at what kind of tent it was when asked if I wanted it or should we just toss it…I simply tossed the unopened box into the cap of the ranger and stored it at my sisters. Decided to go out and see exactly ‘what’ kind of tent it was this morning…Remember…never opened…Eureka Timberline! (One of the umpteen sets of college guys who’d rented the 5 bedroom house over the years had simply left it when he graduated…)Bad news is…There were several sleeping bags and I never looked at any of em…we just tossed em.

OHHHHHH MAN!!!
What a shame! Atleast you got the tent…

Paddle easy,

Coffee