tent vs. hammock input needed

I want to do kayak camping. I have a Liquid Logic XP-10. I currently have a 2006ish Rainbow Tarptent (by Henry Shires), but I’m considering getting a Hennessy ULtralite Backpacker A-Sym Classic hammock. What do you think would be better for kayak camping in a variety of areas?

If I do get that hammock, I’m considering getting Hennessy’s 70D Hex Fly for keeping my packed stuff dry, getting dressed and undressed, and for cooking in the rain w/ a small camp stove. I don’t know if that would be possible with the Ultralite Backpacker’s fly. What do you think?

Darwin

daroos@indiana.edu

tent
In the last 30 years of your life have you slept cross-ways in your recliner chair in a curved arc position and swinging?

I used a hammock two days and gave it away.

i like tents
for rain and bad weather but hamock will be cool when its hot i have a llbean solo tent its real light and stores easly

Have no idea where you want to go
Beaches are problematic with hammocks…Any trees simply aren’t strong enough usually. Thats my experience with Florida. Other beaches in other areas may be different.

You require two trees for a hammock. Sometimes there are two trees and sometimes not.

Give us more info on where you want to camp.

If you hammock get the bigger fly. I threw out my HH fly that came with the Asym hammock. Too small. Get the bigger one.

Non hammock users seem to think that hammocks sag. They don’t…you sleep essentially flat. I intend to take my hammock to the Adirondacks next week.

There are pros and cons to each. Hammocks give a better sleep. Its awful to get wind and rainbound in a hammock.

Not here
Up north the trees are not big enough, and spaced properly in many places. A tent is more versatile.

darwin
we have 3 diff hammocks, and though they are great, i prefer the tent, and bring along the hammock, the weight is minimal. You can always leave a fly off in the night if weather permits, but as the other poster said, in bad weather the hammock isn’t much fun sometimes…

I have both
For me, the hammock is MUCH more comfortable. But, it does have its downsides. You need the trees. Now some folks will show you how to set it up on the ground which is doable but a little klugey. Also, if the weather is cold, the cold air on the bottom of the Hennessey will make you pretty cold. They sell a cold weather set-up, but even though I have it, I haven’t tried it. I did find a small, inflatable backpacking mattress that I used against the cold the last time I used the HH and it worked very well.

Depends on area[s]
My fav solo shelter is a Clark’s Jungle Hammock with oversized fly. The Hennessy’s bottom entry resists use of a foam pad - everything and the occupant slides through the slit about 3am. The Hennessy offset fly is a fine piece of design work. And, hammocks are more comfortable for many than tents, as weatherproof or more so, and certainly smaller and lighter.

That said, tripping with one’s squeeze suggests a tent. And, hammocks require two stout trees about 11 ft apart. Far North and desert islands locations just don’t work for hammocks.

So, to be prepared across the spectrum of possibilities, a guy needs one of each. But I’s never tote both on the same trip.

Hmmm as an object of birth
in a HH I have never had an easy 3 am birth… But I dont use a pad in the summer… I do use an underquilt in the apring/fall.

I would love to hammock in two weeks in the Adirondacks as I suspect the campsite ground will be underwater. But the remainder of my camping will be on a grassy plain that precludes hammocks.

I use the Clark NX-250 and will not
even consider a tents use. The NX-250 can be pitched on the ground because of its carbon fiber bows at each ed of the hammock that make it pitch like a tent. The NX -250 was bone dry in severe thunderstorm at the last Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous. This same storm sent other hammock owners running for their cars. The Clark has pockets below the hammock that can be stuffed with gear or ground clutter to provide extra warmth. It has a zip in mosquito net, zip in weather shield, and large fly. Sleeping comfort is the best I can find in the woods or at home. You can sleep over any terrain or ground slope, and you can sleep on the ground. You can sleep over water as well (rivers coming up over the nightime). The material is also mosquito proof. For me the choice is easy. Clark NX-250, and you will pay for this kind of quality. Bill

my opinion
imo hammocks are a very versatile weapon for the soloist. I wouldn’t consider a hammock if you have a buddy to split a tent with.

All the issues I think have already been brought up. In Florida I heard the mention of finding 2 suitable trees near beachside. Very true. But also, it can be hard to find a nice spot of flat land on a Florida beach as well. Both require some effort from the user. Lightweight tents can be found so don’t let that be a deterrent.

What I would suggest is, sell the kayak, buy a canoe, and become a tough as nails canoe guy like the rest of us. We dont use tents, or hammocks…we sleep on rocks and we like it!

MITA Islands
If you are talking about camping on the Maine Trail islands, requires a tent. May be true for other sensitive areas as well.

Where are you located?

I have become a lover of hammocks.
Please note, I said HAMMOCKS. Much kike boats, you start off with one (Hennessey), and then find a reason for a second (Clark, with the integrated weather shield for colder temps) and then a Warbonnet catches your eye (because you like the double-bottom feature to hold your pad).

I will never sleep in a tent if I have the option for a hammock. My back is always happier (I can side-sleep in all three models) and for humid nights there is no substitute for the cooling effect.

True, as CEW pointed out the lack of dual-occupancy can be a downer, but Clark actually has a double model and there are…options…available for single hammocks as long as your tarp is large and offers good…coverage.

As for lacking trees, that is true, and some state parks will not allow hammocks to be attached to trees even if available. It is possible to set a hammock using two bipods and Amsteel line with stake anchors. Been there and done that. Kind of difficult to carry ib a kayak though. If all else fails, going to ground is always an option (but a poor option).

Jim

15 nights camping in 2010, 0 nights in a tent!

Please show me
Please have someone take a picture of you sleeping in your hammock and show me the picture. I would love to see you laying straight in your hammock. I’m not sarcastic. I really want to believe but my own experience is different.

I can pee into a plastic bottle in a
tent, in a rainstorm. Can you describe how you do that in your hammock?

Old guy with prostate.

You know how Jsaults likes to tinker …

– Last Updated: May-18-11 11:05 AM EST –

Five bucks says he's tried laying on his belly with a hole in the center :D

That will cost you a beer Clarion!
Alas, no relief hole. I just stand in the HH bottom slit, or beside the Clark or Warbonnet (both side-zip) and use the pee bottle. Really no more involved than kneeling in a tent as far as I am concerned.

Interestingly this is a subject of much discussion over on HammockForums.net. Some claim to be able to use a bottle lying down, some have engineered a tube, and some have even tried an “exterior-applied catheter”.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Jim

I have both but…
I have both tents and HH available. I’ll take a hammock with the large fly over a tent anywhere I expect to have trees. I sleep beautifully in the hammock, not so great on the ground. As far as warmth, I have the insulation package available if I’m cold, otherwise a simple sleeping mat works fine.

A decade ago the ground and me were better friends than we are today.

“A decade ago
the ground and me were better friends than we are today”

Ain’t it the truth.

Jim