Texas kayaking destination similar to the Frio

Looking for other places to go with similar experience to the Frio. We have kayaked the Frio a couple of times and really enjoyed the scenery but even more the number of rapids. What a fun stretch of river! But it is always so crowded.

Looking for other places in Texas or possibly Oklahama (would prefer with about 6 to 7 hours of the DFW metroplex) that might offer a similar kayaking adventure. Anything out there?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think the upper Guadalupe (the section above Canyon Dam) has a good mix of cypress and less crowded spots. The Lower Colorado (East of Austin) isn’t as stunning but still has some great paddles.

Thanks!

The San Marcos has some nice stretches of varying lengths starting in Martindale. The South Llano is nice when it has water. The Medina out by Bandera is also a lot of fun. In Oklahoma, you have the Kiamichi above Lake Hugo and the Lower Mountain Fork of the Little River both above and below Broken Bow lake .

Hopefully not too late to the party. The Colorado from Austin east through La Grange is beautiful and a great place for overnight trips, but the “rapids” are mostly just barely Class I riffles. So, not really like the Frio. I also recently did a couple of trips on the Little River, which runs into the Brazos. Really fun (although, again, not much in the way of rapids) - steep banks (had to haul the kayak out with the car on one occasion), and beware the low head dam near Cameron (not mentioned on the old Southwest Paddler site).
Actually, that’s a great site to look at if you haven’t already. The info on there is pretty old, but lots of great detail on Texas (and OK) rivers