Thank you - you may have saved my life

-- Last Updated: Mar-13-05 2:35 PM EST --

On Saturday I posted a message regarding what clothing to wear during early spring paddling when the water temperature is cold. I said I couldn't afford a drysuit and asked for suggested alternatives.
Within 24 hours I received 14 GREAT responses.
To sum it up, I learned that if you can't afford a drysuit, then you can't afford to go out when the water temperature is cold.
I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW NAIVE I WAS!! You guys have enlightened me! I am getting drysuits for me and my wife. They are necessities we CAN'T AFFORD to be without.
Sincerely, thanks to all who responded. You may have saved a life or two!
ps... I also discovered the folks who respond to questions on this forum are among the most knowledgable, caring, and generous I've EVER run across.

Same here
I’ve been following that thread, too. Now I have a suit on order. So does my sister. Thanks, from an onlooker.

What kind?
What kind of suites did you guys buy?

Mike

Those who responded to your post…
…have authorized me to accept any and all

monetary expressions of gratitude on their

behalf.

They are far too modest to accept the money

themselves.

This service seems the least I can do.

suits
I don’t remember the model she settled upon but I got a Farmer John (one of the ones they warned me against in the fallacy article) simply because I’m always and only in calm, flat, shallow water and near the shore (my boat is used as a “photography chair”) and I decided that particular suit would do the job.

Drysuit
Looks like we’re going with the Kakatat Supernova.

Price is good. Performance is good. Durability may be a question, but we are gentle on equipment.

Congratulations…
I have been authorized by my “better half” to seach our portfolio and send you all the stock certificates we have for the American Motors Company AND the W. T. Grant Company.

If you’re a youngster, you’ll have to do an internet search on these corporations to reveal the extent of your windfall.

Your friend,

Edsel Hoolahoop

Wisdom is beyond price;

– Last Updated: Mar-13-05 10:46 PM EST –

be glad you have it. Now if you are hooked on this paddling thing and you actually paddle hard just bite the bullet and go goretex. For happy dawdlers "breathable" urethane coatings might be OK. No judgement here I do them both.

A competent sea or whitewater kayak paddler can roll to cool. I know a couple of canoeists who can do that but not many.

I normally answerposts like your earlier one, but, heck, nobody's ever offerred me a wetsuit before; you were in good hands.

This is the start of the third spring since a canoeist has died im my local pond from hypothermia. Has happened at least every three years for about 20. Something tells me I better make room in the freezer >;-). (We New Englanders do not like to waste food)

You saved it
Nobody else may have saved your life – you did by being smart enough to ask people who know.

Seems so simple, yet so many are clueless.

Have fun paddling, P.

Wait! Don’t stop yet!
Your earlier post mentioned that you have mostly cotton clothing. Even inside a drysuit (and you DO need insulation layer(s) under a drysuit–it’s not meant to be worn alone), you would do well to buy some synthetic layers.

They don’t have to cost a lot. Campmor (www.campmor.com) ALWAYS has Duofold and other underlayers at good prices. There are a lot of proprietary fabrics but most of them are variations on some kind of polyester or polypropylene. Some Army/Navy surplus stores have good stashes of these garments, too.

Please take that extra step and get appropriate insulation layers to use under your new drysuits. And enjoy your longer paddling season!

Check the Army Navy store first.
Swdege loaned me his old AF insulated underwear top after I got dunked in December. Very warm. Don’t forget your drybag .

What About Their Heads?
I’m no expert, but I seem to recall from atlantickayaktours.com that the gasp reflex can be caused when the head is immersed in cold water. Even if the body is warm, it’s no good if the mouth is gasping in water. Don’t they need a neo hood or something?

Lou

Yes
Get some head/neck protection. Unfortunately, when a paddler capsizes, the first thing to go under is the head. Large blood vessels in the neck will spread the cold quickly to the brain (not good). Ice cold water in the ears can cause disorientation.

You can find neoprene hoods on SCUBA.COM or nrsweb.com for $30 or less, anywhere from 1mm to 7mm thick.