Thanks for the Aleve suggestion

Mobic
helped me through a pretty hard time. Very effective. Have a very few left over that I have saved for “special” occassions.

mobic
mobic (molixicam)is a cox-2 inhibitor like celebrex, bextra or vioxx, but not quite as selective. while it hasn’t been vetted in randomized controlled trials against non-selective NSAIDS to the same extent as the other cox-2 drugs, it doesn’t appear in RCTs to have a greater risk of cardiovascular events. naprosyn is probably the safest NSAID for the heart–simple aspirin is the best, but carries significant gi risk. i am 58, body by orthopedics, and couldn’t get along w/o an NSAID on a maintenance basis. i can’t take the non-selective agents even with a PPI (i take nexium) because of reflux. so, after a lot of thought, and discussion with my cardiology pals at Duke (i’m an md on the duke faculty) i ended up on mobic as having the best risk to benefit ratio. it is zero risk–no. is it an acceptable risk–yes, especially since the drug risk effect is small (the overwhelming number of patients will do fine) and i’m ok with respect to other risk factors. works as well as celebrex or motrin, but not as well as naprosyn, but i can live with that for the time being anyway.

Aleve is my friend. Usually one or
two and I am good to go all day , pain free. Someone here once sugggested not taking it as a preventive because pain is a warning signal, but my doc said when you know the pain is coming and know the reason, why not prevent it?

that makes a lot of sense to me…
preventative aleve sounds like a good idea when I know that I’ll be hurting for a specific reason (playboating, etc.)

vigor adn well intentioned nimrods

– Last Updated: Apr-16-07 4:14 AM EST –

yes-statistically, the heart risk was low. For the people who droped dead of a heart attack, it suddenly shot up to 100%.

Yes--everyone in Vigor was 40 or older. The subsequent vioxx post-marketing data included people of all ages.

no--there is no conclusive scientific evidence that vioxx was ever easier on the gi tract. I wish there had been, for your sake and other people's. Merck tried to cook vigor results that way, but people who looked into it didn't buy it. Celebrex has never been convincingly shown to be safer on the stomach, either. And no one argues it is more effective than any other nsaid. So why do people pay, what is it now--$2 a pill or more?--for it? Good question, probably related to the drug ads on TV and the pfizer sales rep calls to docs, and the billion-plus dollars a year Pfizer makes off it.

yes--every drug has risks, but when a pill that offers no conclusive scientific evidence of increased benefit over what's already on the market DOES offer conclusive scientific evidence of being more risky than what's on the market, it's time for that pill to come off the market.

Yes--tylenol and other acetaminophens in suprisingly small ammounts will blow out your liver. Not in the recommended doses on the label, just in slightly higher ammounts. Have to be careful with that drug.

No-not trying to tell you what to do. Have no idea who you are. Not sure I want to after the nimrod crack. Didn't mean to alarm you, either. Sorry about that, if so. There's no residual vioxx risk in former users.

Yes-am well-intentioned. Don't like to see people conned--and hurt--by Big Pharma.

nexium q

– Last Updated: Apr-16-07 5:13 AM EST –

JSM, curious here: why do you take nexium (esomeprazole) instead of generic omeprazole (Prilosec)? No nexium benefit in Astra's own head to head trials, except when nexium was used in higher doses, according to nexium labeling on FDAs Web site and in nexium bottles. Nexium is around $4 a pill, generic prilosec under a dollar. I think all this has gotten drowned out by astra's marketing juggernaut and that the U.S. health system has lost a lot of money to nexium that might have been better spent elsewhere, unless something has come out since I last examined this in 2005. thanks.

PT’s says…
My PT’s says that Aleve is OK to use short term but to be very careful as the pain is masked, although injury is still there. Very easy to reinjure while on it.

I finally pinpointed the injury to painting when I was on prednisone for other issues.

Suz