Thanks for the Aleve suggestion

I believe it was Brian Nystrom who mentioned Aleve as a home remedy for shoulder and elbow pain. While it is not available in Canada, my mom-in-law brought me back a couple bottles from Florida and I must say, it really helps. My mobility has increased to the point where I can get more done at work and no longer fear “frozen shoulder” from babying it.

Worked for me!

Yeah, I use a lot of Aleve. Is it really
not available in Canada, under some other name? It is relatively benign as NSAIDS go.

Those who, like me, have been told to take two baby aspirin a day for blood thinning should know that Aleve and other NSAIDS seem to neutralize the strong anti platelet clumping effect of aspirin, even though Aleve probably has mild anti-clumping effects of its own. My cardiologist suggested acetominiphen (Tylenol), but Tylenol does not work as a pain reliever for me. So when I have to take Aleve 2 or 3 times a day, I simply skip the baby aspirin for that period.

Take good care of that shoulder. The muscles of the shoulder girdle have to function to keep the shoulder ball joint from subluxing (sagging apart), and once subluxation reaches a certain point, it is real hard to get the shoulder joint support tissues back to their normal state. In some situations, use of a properly designed sling may give you some relief, but as you may know already, a PT is needed to help you keep those support muscles and ligaments in condition.

g2d and magoo
g2d: “Tylenol does not work as a pain reliever for me.”

A typical sentiment, and medically accurate. Although Tylenol (acetominophen) is an antipyretic (fever reducer) and a mild analgesic (pain relievr), it is not at all an anti-inflammatory. Thus, if the pain is due to inflamation, as is often the case with shoulder injuries (eg impingement syndromes, tendonitis/tendonosis, etc), then a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) like Aleve (naproxyn/naprosyn) is best choice.

For those who need to know for medical reasons, NSAIDs are essentially renally excreted and acetaminophen is liver metabolized; this could be a factor if, for instance someone has renal compromise secondary to diabetes, as one example, they would wish to reduce the dose or not take a renally-excreted NSAID.

In the USA, naprosyn in Aleve is 220mg per tablet. The physician prescribed dose from the pharmacy is 500-550mg tablets 2-3 times daily always with food. Thus, one could take twice the over the counter dose, or 2x220mg = 440mg of Aleve/naprosyn to achieve a near prescription dose. Note that the risk of GI upset is higher at this dose, and the medication must always be taken with food and ceased at any sign of heartburn or GI upset.

Finally, the #1 mistake for patients is to not take the medication regularly… that is they take it as needed for pain. They wait for pain and take it, then don’t take it for a few days, and on and on. This “fits and starts” method is the prmary cause of failure for the medication. Best bet, dedicate yourself to taking 1-2 weeks of the stuff, lay out the tablets, and keep taking it. Allows it to reach a steady state, higher blood levels, and more efficacy.

You’re both onto something and I hope your shoulders stay healthy.

See, I am actualy good for something other than reviewing egg cookers and asking about Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Rock on!

Too add
You may want to talk with a physician about adding an anti acid medication known as a ppi, proton pump inhibitor, like Prilosec ( over the counter)or Protonix to prevent gastric bleeding if taking higher doses of Aleve or other NSAID. I am really glad I saved my Vioxx. Didn’t work for my back , but worked really well on my shoulder.

Vioxx withdrawn from the market
fyi -

http://www.vioxx.com/rofecoxib/vioxx/consumer/index.jsp

yeahp
had some knee problems, was on Naproxen ( ingredient in Aleve ) for 3 months. No GI issues.

Market names: Aleve, Anaprox, Naprogesic, Naprosyn, Naprelan, Synflex.

wow.
surprised I haven’t gotten an e-mail bill from cooldoctor1 after reading his post.

:slight_smile:

Paul

Because overweight, unhealthy people
had heart attacks while taking vioxx. Yeah, I know. It never should have been removed. For athletic type injuries and arthritis it works great. There are side effects and risks from every drug and that includes tylenol and aspirin.

Yeah, is he a real doctor,
or does he just play one on p.net? :wink:

he is real
"the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone…the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone…"

I believe, I believe!
OK, you can’t read everything you read on the internet or on p-net:) but I am a believer here. Been fighting with elbow tendonitis since January. I have taken other pain relievers which didn’t make a dent. When I read this, I decided to give it a try and bought some on the way home last night. FIRST night I have woken without pain in the elbow since January!

Have also just started a regimen of breaking down the scar tissue with pressure along with a heat/ice cycle so perhaps it is a combination of all. Either way, I am going to take it 'til the bottle is empty and see how it feels.

Suz

Glad I could help
Bursitis is no fun, but naproxen really helps.

Ibuprofen
Last summer I had severe shoulder pain. Doctor prescribed me 600 mgrams a day. Pain was reduced substantially. I took it easy, let it heal and have no problems at all right now. I excercise regularly and am careful on not overdoing it with shoulder excercises.

Had no side efects with Ibuprofen.

Glad the Aleve is working for you Glen.

Andy

vioxx

– Last Updated: Apr-13-07 6:39 AM EST –

No, it should never had been on the market because there was no scientific evidence AT ALL that is was more effective, safer, or better tolerated than other NSAIDs, both OTC and prescription.

And Merck knew about the heart risks almost a decade ago, from the VIGOR study, the results of which were made public in 2000, though hardly anyone paid attention.

over 30,000 deaths, and not all in over weight old people with diabetes, not by a long shot.

Anecdotal evidence that a drug works is not scientific evidence. Antecdotal evidence and testimony is what drove the abuse of the old medicine show system of marketing pharmaceuticals. You can find people who swear by anything.

The need for something better--scientific medical evidence--is why the FDA was formed.

There was never any sound scientific evidence backing up Vioxx.

Or Bextra, which was also pulled. Or Celebrex, whcih hasn't been pulled quite yet.

It is due to the nature by which these drugs work--the enzymes they screw around with--that they cause heart atacks and strokes, not the nature of the people who took/take them.

Save you money and health--buy Aleve, Motrin, etc. Read the label, take the max dose, and you'll get the same pain relief.

Funny
I just went to the Doctor for a shoulder injury and MRI.

It hurts so bad I can barely sleep at night. He just prescribed me some naproxyn and I can’t believe the amount of pain relief I’ve already experienced in just 2 days.

I hate having to take the meds, but I have to say, it really improved my pain. Hopefully with therapy, I can avoid a surgery in the future.

Mobic users/opinions?
Mobic (meloxicam), another NSAID, really took the edge off my shoulder pain initially - and keeping the inflammation down limited further aggravation. One tiny pill a day (all free samples too!).

Omacor (Omega-3-acid Ethyl Esters) also helped. It’s prescription omega-3 intended to reduce very high triglycerides - but is also a pretty effective anti-inflammatory.

Could use something today - but I’m just not much of a pill taker unless I’m just not functional. The handful of almonds I just ate will have to do the trick (yes, they are pain killers too).

It’s been about a year, and even though mostly healed (judging by mobility/strength anyway) my shoulder feels a bit shredded after yesterdays 90 minute yoga session and a pretty hard shoulder workout the day before (and two days before that and and 18 mile hard paddle before that…). I try to listen to what it’s telling me so I don’t over do it - but have to push to gain ground.

Like the rest of me, I suspect it will never be quite right - and I think I can expect sleep comfort issues, soreness most mornings, intermittent flare ups, and exercise issues from here out. Same as several other parts. Think I’ll just call it part of normal wear and tear/aging.

And your credentials are?
I know Vioxx works well for me. I discussed it with a couple of pharmacists and my risks of any cardiac sequelae are extremely low. Vioxx has a much lower incidence of GI effects and I am prone to that since I have a large hiatal hernia. Every single medication has risks. Tylenol is potentially deadly. Everything has tradeoffs. I don’t need some well intentioned nimrod telling me what I should and should not do.

Nothing better than tylenol
for me when I have a sore throat, it knocks it right out. Works better than advil.

Aleve is dangerous
or at least also has risk of heart attack and stroke:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/12/21/fda.naproxen/

And to add
In the Vigor study, patients were over 50 years old which statistically puts one at a higher risk for cardiac events or were older than 40 years old and taking a glucocorticoid which increases adipose tissues and fat deposits making a person a higher risk for a cardiac event.