The big Kokatat decision!

I mainly sea kayak and surfski with a wetsuit but I’m about to buy a dry-suit. I’m gonna buy Kokatat. I was able to try on the newer Radius and Idol but did not like the big bunch of zipper around my waist. Unfortunately I can’t try on the Meridian or the Icon before I buy. It appears that the main difference between the two is the zipper placement:
Meridian - been around for a while, time tested. Over the shoulder zipper. Relief Zipper.
Icon - Developed in partnership with E.J. Zipper behind head following shoulder line. Lets less water in the boat. Relief Zipper.
How hard is the zipper on the Icon? Are the two comparable when it comes to durability? Which one is more comfortable? I’m leaning more towards the Icon because it seems to be less bulky through the top half of the suit. Thanks for any info.

That “bunch of zipper” is going to be someplace so each design has its trade offs. I personally like my Radius as joinable tops/bottoms by moving the zipper off the torso it keeps the tailoring more trim in the top half compared to the cross chest arrangement. The Icon has a but extra material in the back so as to allow you to duck your head under the zipper to enter but I’m not a fan of closing the brass toothed zipper operating behind my shoulders. It’ll make you do a good yoga routine getting in/out.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I find my Expedition suit great. I would never buy a suit without a hood. Although I never wear a hood on land. Last 6" of zipper can be a challenge. If I use it weekly I get method You need to keep them clean and lubed. I use Mc Nett products.

I returned a Surge semi-dry suit for the exact reason that the OP states. Too much “stuff” at the waist. I went back to a traditional zippered Super Nova suit with the torso zipper. Fits me better. I had a Super Nova many years ago that I sold before I started kayaking. The new zipper is lower profile and easier to use than the old metal toothed zippers. Mostly you just have to try the suit on and see what feels the most comfortable to you.

I’ll second the Kokatat Expedition as a great suit, though I also don’t have experience with others for comparison. I’ll disagree somewhat on the hood though. There have been many times I’m thankful for it in the winter and shoulder seasons, but when its a little warmer it just gets in the way. I do like the double-layer “tunnel” that goes overtop of your spray skirt tunnel. It does an excellent job of keeping the water out of the cockpit. The triangle-shaped, zippered chest pocket is pretty useless, and I find the arm pockets are more useful than I would have imagined. The heavy reinforcing patches on the knees and seat are great, but they collect a lot of water that slowly drains out - often into the cockpit after a reentry.

The relief zipper is a must, and I’d never buy a suit that didn’t have Goretex socks. The zipper on the expedition is initially a little bulky in the front under your PFD, but after a bit of adjustment it finds some room and can be ignored.

I’ve considered selling mine, as it’s in excellent shape still, and getting a two piece for the potential convenience. I’d like to wait a while longer though and hear about more people’s reactions. I’m not what you’d call an early adopter.

Perhaps not as useful as you’d like, because it isn’t specifically regarding the suits in question, but perhaps there are similar features I’ve commented on that may help your decision.

@Sparky961
That’s another wonderful aspect of the Radius; the hood tucks neatly into the collar. The high collar is pretty nice too; keeps my neck warm.

The Radius hood also disconnects with 4 Velcro tabs so you can debulk the collar it rolls into.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I have bought two drysuits from Marshall and highly recommended anything Marshall would suggest.

My first drysuit I owned was a Kokatat Radius but the size medium was to constricting for my shoulders after prolonged use. I just got my new custom drysuit from Marshall yesterday and this time got the kokatat icon, not because I didn’t like the Radius but because as Marshall would agree I constantly seem to change or upgrade my gear. I would recommend the Radius if you are ply without the normal relief zip. The only issue I had with the Radius was getting my shoulders through the torso area, probably do to me buying a size to small.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@JonathanOltz
How do you like your Icon? Is it hard to zip up solo? Looks easy enough. I’m used to back zip wetsuits and still have pretty good good shoulder mobility.

I haven’t been able to paddle with it just yet as o received it yesterday but will be putting it to test at the end of this month during a 3 day class.

The shoulder zip is pretty easy. I was able to zip and unzip the first time put it on.? It’s built really nice. I had mine custom colored in all black.

Thanks that helps! I’m thinking about the same custom colors. What size did you end up ordering? The medium Radius was too small for you? I’m about 5’9" 170. So a custom large seems to be around my size.

I ordered a size large, it’s a bit long in the legs for me at 5’8.5 but the waist and chest are perfect (I have very broad shoulders) you can always get length taken out of the legs from what I understand but at the same time a bit of extra room is not an issue. One of the coaches I have worked with in the past says drysuits are just a garbage bag. Just don’t buy it too small.

That’s one expensive garbage bag! Thanks for the advice! That really helps narrow it down. Probably going to get me an ICON. Have a great time in your class!

I had my first outing with a new Kokatat Radius, courtesey of Marshall and The River Connection. Great piece of gear and great customer service.

I get the disinterest in the bulky waistline as that was an initial impression I had when trying on the suit at home, even the third time. But in six hours on the water, I didn’t even notice it. Not one bit. And way better comfort without the chest zip under the pfd, IMO.

One point I would add, at the lunch break our temps rose into the mid 70s and we were in full sun on a bright gravel bar. My top was off in no time flat, easy easy easy with the switch zip system. Others with the chest zip contorted to get out or just baked. Also I really liked going to the river with the pants on but not dragging the top around my waist and on the ground.

I’m 5’10" and 180 today and the men’s large fits just fine. I doubt I’ll have them take in the extra length on the sleeves and legs.

Oh no, just when I thought I made up my mind… Those are very good things to consider. I get to try the IDOL again later this week. Maybe I’ll be persuaded. It would be nice to have the two-piece option the IDOL and RADIUS offer. Thanks.

@PaddleHome it really just narrows down to you having to find what works best for you. I find the icon to be quite easy to take on and off. Even in the scenario where you’d want to be in a “standby” mode. Just unzip the shoulders, take the arms and neck out and tie the sleeves around your waist. But again it’s based on what is most comfortable for you. Additionally one thing to caution on both the Radius and Idol is the zipper can easily get jammed with sand and not seal completely. I wondowshaded hard in the surf one day and the next day I found it harder to zip and it didn’t seem as dry. The plus with the Icon that most people have pointed out is due to the shoulder zip being high on the shoulder it tends to stay dryer. But get to a shop and try on a few. Especially if you can get to Marshalls showroom.

I live in Los Angeles. We only have one dedicated shop about an hours drive. But he doesn’t stock dry suits. He can get them, but they aren’t hanging in the shop to try on for size. REI has the Idol and the Radius online so I have been able to try those on for sizing. Los Angeles is one of the worst towns in terms of Sea Kayaking popularity. Not very much support here. The Idol will be here tomorrow to try on again before I most likely get the ICON. Thanks for the help! I’ll let you know the big Kokatat decision soon!

Outdoor Play has some Kokatat dry suits on sale right now.