The day touring kayak: the best of both worlds?

Venture is P & H’s mid price RM line so better designed than many others in that class. Made in UK. Have no idea why they dropped the Easky model in the US a few years ago. Very popular in the UK and quite seaworthy. At the same price point as the ubiquitous and barge-like Tsunamis they are a lighter and sportier hull. If you ever get a chance to try one it might pleasantly surprise (if not placate) you.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure out if the P&H dealer here is open for business. I think they’ve gone to a non-retail shop model recently but they don’t answer a phone or respond to email so I have no idea. They are more focused on surf skis (which I still want to demo) but P&H is one of their kayak lines. I am immunocompromised and can’t go into a store anyway, but I keep hoping I can arrange a demo on the river. They only list the rotomolded models on their website. I wonder if dealers ever move demo kayaks around between them. Probably not, but I can dream.

Outstanding addition, thanks

1 Like

Nice … a fancy way of saying that one is talking out their a…e. It has been known to apply to me at times.

I’m looking at the perimeter lines and thinking how hard it would be to get my hands on one, in an emergency. I can barely get hold of them on dry land.

If you are worried about being able to grab deck lines, this looks like a solid solution (I haven’t done it myself):

2 Likes

Thread a spacer on the deck line. Round 1" bungee ball type would work.

Those are fine. However, I view them as “over engineering” and not needed. Also, if you are rescuing someone else in the water, the last place you want them grabbing is near the cockpit - you want that person holding on near the bow or stern.

Why you ask? It is much easier to turn you over if one in the water grabs near your cockpit before trying to climb on deck & even easier when they have a hand hold such as those tubing loops. No thanks on my kayaks.

1 Like

Plus you can’t brace if they’re hanging on the combing unless you whack them to make them move. :laughing:

I’m not paddling in in anything but flat sheltered water with a newbie or person who would start panicking.

1 Like

Good in theory, however 2 of my 4 real world rescues have been people I did not start with or know when I launched.

If it’s a choice of them interfering with a brace for me to stay upright, the person in the water gets whacked. That is why I insist on them holding near the bow and staying there - easier to assess them if you can see them.

1 Like