The Great Iowa river race

So now I have done it. I have entered the great Iowa river race. I hope this does not get out of hand. I just want to drift down stream and look at birds. That was my only reason to buy a kayak.
But that is not my nature.

I have raced cars, motorcycles, bicycles , hydroplanes ,Slot cars, soap box derby cars. Street luge,Radio Control pylon airplanes, feet and now I’m going to race a kayak.
What have I done??

Nuttin unusual. Have fun!

Good luck. Have fun - and I see another boat or two in your future.

@Rookie said:
Good luck. Have fun - and I see another boat or two in your future.

I don’t think so. I just don’t have room.
I don’t even know how to race a kayak. I guess paddle hard.

@Racer X said:

I don’t think so. I just don’t have room.
I don’t even know how to race a kayak. I guess paddle hard.

Well, it’s probably more like paddle smart & learn how to paddle well before paddling hard. If you search around here you can find some links & discussion on the forward stroke.

Getting ready for the big weekend. I have been practicing paddling at high speed. Seems like rapid strokes works best. Deep digging in strokes accelerates but once up to speed I seem to do better with a fast cadence. Keeping a streight line and not causing to bow to shift side to side seems to be better than trying to dig in and make hard paddle strokes.
I will have to keep up speed for at least an hour. So smooth light strokes will be a good thing. Of corse I have no clue how it will go. But it will be fun .

Wing paddles lend themselves to fast strokes.

Good luck and don’t forget to hydrate often. Checked the weather forecast: 91F on Saturday.

Thanks. Anyone else going?

So the Great Iowa river race is over. The weather started out with heavy thunderstorms and hail. They got the race off with just a short delay.
Very nice conditions after the rain stopped.
I paddled about as hard as I could. Changing from high to low stroke . And trying my best to keep good form. This is only my fifth or sixth time in a kayak ,so I could definitely use some work on my form. Also my boat is 28 inches wide. The paddle strikes the side like a drum with every stroke. But the kestrel 140x is a super boat so it helped a lot. Perfect for recreational kayaking. And that is what I bought it for. Maybe not so good for racing. Over all I had a great time. I finished second place in Open men’s caragory so that was nice also.

Good job

Congratulations.