The Independence...Making a comeback!

indy love fest
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/223/indymediumnw5.jpg

Those decals represent each April the Indy ran the Kenduskeag stream race in Maine…not all the decals have been added to the hull.

Never ran one of those races without compliments about how ‘pretty’ that boat looks.

when Indy is reincarnated it needs to have an adjustable seat.

JJ, that pic of you…

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 10:13 AM EST –

banging a right turn during the K-Stream race is one I'll never forget. It didn't change my opinion regarding the Indy and fast water but, it certainly did instill respect for your abilities! To me, you will remain 'Kong of the Kenduskeag'.

Found a tintype of me Indy

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 10:28 AM EST –

Fiberglass version, Indian Brown wit wood trim. Beautiful boats.

FE

run what you brung
The Indy is probably not the best choice for that water but I have also run a DY special, MR traveller and a WW C-1 there. Never thought I’d make it in the DY with that 11" stern, but ran it dry and made that move at the entrance to the gorge with yet another boat that is ‘only good for flat water’ because it doesn’t turn well, can’t be drawn, has a semi V hull, not enough rocker, etc.

Its like getting a used dog and finding out he knows all sorts of tricks you never taught him. Your left with the thought, ‘what else can he do’?

Lesson here is to critically weigh marketing strategy hype and rigid opinion based on relative experience.

Don’t sell the Indy short unless you have other niche boats to market.

Thanks for the compliment. You are making me blush, but really I am so far away from the abilities most of the other guys demonstrate.

Wow!
A fine portrait of a fine looking man in a fine looking boat wearing a fine looking hat. Somehow, not at all what I’d expect!

Ah, but you did win, yes?

Henry Designs…
The Hurricane and Typhoon are Henry designs.

Jim is preping the strip original as the plug. I, too, appreciate enhanced tumblehome, but we are going to make the canoe in it’s original form. Stay tuned for furture designs, though.

My response to JJMISH
"Jim is preping the strip original as the plug. I, too, appreciate enhanced tumblehome, but we are going to make the canoe in it’s original form. Stay tuned for furture designs, though."

We’ve talked about modifications to the hull, but that would be a new design.

Trivia question: What classic 1971 canoe design had differential rocker?

Raystown…
If all goes to plan, we’ll have a new Indy at Raystown. Any other Indy owners planning to go?

great photo
i love the shot of the Indy in the snow. it just looks like a kick ass canoe that has a lot of miles on it. and it’s a great setting.

You guys are making me want one.

Headed to Florida in the fall…

– Last Updated: Jun-05-08 4:10 PM EST –

We are going to IBEX in early October and then I'm going to visit some of my old Mad River Canoe accounts and try to establish some dealerships down there. We also have family down there and it makes a good base camp.

Anyway, who are your favorite paddlesport dealers down there?

Thanks,

Rob

look it up
First place in the Indy, 1994 and in the DY, 2005. Those were the two years all the other C-1 guys came down with the flu and couldn’t paddle.

Humble apologies…
to you, Joe. My intent was not to embarrass or bestow undue praise, but to acknowledge a remarkable devotion to the sport as well as your thoughtful contributions to this forum. Perhaps a little ribbin’ as well. Regards, Tom

not many
there aren’t a lot of real canoe outfitters, at least in south Florida. Estero River Outfitters is very close to my house, but they mostly sell plastic SOT kayaks, etc.

i find that most places here sell almost exclusively poorly-designed plastic SOTs. some of my friends even paddle them. :0

but i have turned a few onto canoes. once they paddle a real solo canoe in wind, waves, etc. it doesn’t take long until they convert.

as one of my friends said: “you’re just not tired at the end of the day, and your ass isn’t wet.”