The lake filling winter rains are here.

They have been absent for a few years. We’ve had 2 in a week. This morning I could have floated out of the back yard and down the street.

Snowing here in Buffalo NY.

Great Lakes are now 50 percent ice covered. Below normal temps in the tip of the mitt for the past couple of weeks. 41 days and 10 hours till spring.

@Rookie said:
Great Lakes are now 50 percent ice covered. Below normal temps in the tip of the mitt for the past couple of weeks. 41 days and 10 hours till spring.

But 50% is much less than last year right? What is normal? Also a bit below average temps in SW Michigan but it still feels nice compared to when the Polar Vortex dips down here. There should be some good paddling weather in March.

@TomL said:

@Rookie said:

But 50% is much less than last year right? What is normal? Also a bit below average temps in SW Michigan but it still feels nice compared to when the Polar Vortex dips down here. There should be some good paddling weather in March.

More than 2017. We’ll need a heat wave to thaw out the ice. And the snow. Only good thing about all that ice in the Straits, Sturgeon Bay and around Beaver Island is it shuts down the lake effect machine in my area. For the most part.

We could use some of that rain here in California. We look like we are headed back into a drought.

You can keep the frozen water…

@Peter-CA said:

You can keep the frozen water…

It will melt and turn into lovely paddling water. :slight_smile:

Our North Idaho lake must wait for the snow melt to fill. It’s actually a natural reservoir with a power generating dam at the main inflow river (from Montana) and another at the outflow (eventually heading to the Columbia River). It is typically held at 10 feet below the summer pool level for the winter months. The depth is 1158 feet, but I haven’t touched bottom there and just accept that as true. There are a few islands and a few deltas. It’s about 110 miles around. It’s a great lake, but not a Great Lake. There is a Navy research facility at the south end, where it’s the deepest.

@rsevenic said:
Our North Idaho lake must wait for the snow melt to fill. It’s actually a natural reservoir with a power generating dam at the main inflow river (from Montana) and another at the outflow (eventually heading to the Columbia River). It is typically held at 10 feet below the summer pool level for the winter months. The depth is 1158 feet, but I haven’t touched bottom there and just accept that as true. There are a few islands and a few deltas. It’s about 110 miles around. It’s a great lake, but not a Great Lake. There is a Navy research facility at the south end, where it’s the deepest.

That is a DEEP lake.

At our lake I think the numbers are the same for the depth…its the decimal point placement that varies.

Well Rookie thanks for the education. Lake Michigan is still open down here so the snow machine is still working. Got 16" yesterday.

@TomL said:
Well Rookie thanks for the education. Lake Michigan is still open down here so the snow machine is still working. Got 16" yesterday.

:o That’s a lot of snow, especially if it’s the mashed potato kind. Hope it was powder.

Only thirty-seven days until spring. Yay!

Spring has begun here, sort of. I need to trim the crepe myrtles before the sap starts to rise.