The new paddle locations program sucks!!!!

Computer geeks should be taken out and beaten half to death! Just because some geek with a lot of university letters that proves he can write code does not make him worth hiring.
I just got back from a week on Blue Ridge and wanted to update the boat ramp info so went to the ‘places to paddle’ which gives me a map that I can zoom into and move about to see what is where.
NOW, some arsewipe geek has changed the page.
NOW you have to allow P-Com to track your position so they can tell you what is NEAR you! If you say ‘no’, it shuts you down.
PLUS you cannot just think, “I am going to San Diego so what is there?” because there is no place I can see to look for anyplace other than MY CURRENT LOCATION!

One of the women I went to the lake with used to run a computer store. She used to argue with the geeks every day, “I know you think it is better this way but the customer wants this so do what the customer wants!”
STOP letting the geeks complicate things because they know all the ins and outs of the program. WE do NOT!!! All I want is a simple, easily understood and useable page that does what I want, not some geek who doesn’t know a paddle from an oar but can write code in his sleep and thinks that some thousand-line program is better because it is complicated.

YEAH! +1

Not to be a bum-out, but I just tried it while denying access to my location and everything worked. Was even able to add a site.

I’ve been a “geek”. I still am in some respects, though you wouldn’t be able to tell from meeting me.

More often than not, it’s the “geeks” that are told to do it a certain way, despite their protests that the design (or lack thereof) sucks. Most people just do what they’re told and collect their pay cheque - within reason, of course.

Sure, it could have been the “geek’s” fault, but it isn’t fair to jump to conclusions. Think about it: how many other things have people been complaining about and asking for here that have been completely ignored since the change to the new platform?

I’ve been convinced for a long time now that whoever is at the helm here has fallen asleep or died.

@Sparky961
I’ve been convinced for a long time now that whoever is at the helm here has fallen asleep or died.

And yet we remain aboard wallowing boat,
circling the castle in this quite stagnant moat.
But the fiefdom runs free outside castle door,
where we’re welcome to haul our keel off to new shore.

@canoeswithduckheads said:
And yet we remain,…

That’s a keeper.

Love your poem, canoeswithduckheads. Also agree with Sparky961. I remain not because I do much canoeing anymore. I read this and that comment about what others like or don’t like about the reincarnated P-net which is now P.com, I guess. So why do I stay although largely in background. Some of you younger and hipper 'uns may call me a lurker. Find this term slightly offensive so I just think of myself as a vintage member. I don’t come to P.com (What?) because I want to learn the latest and greatest of new kayak models or to answer newbie’s sincere comments to share stories of all the wild and wonderful paddling trips I’ve been on. I stay because it was my first: first forum I found on the internet and first one I joined. I still recall doing a search (maybe pre-Google–bet some of you can’t imagine that) about canoe trip food. I was looking for new ideas for menus for the annual (or more) trips Darryl and I would take into the Quetico together. Was I surprised to find one post where the menus were so similar to the ones I came up with and this poster even used some of the prepping, wrapping, packing, etc. tricks I thought were uniquely mine. How surprised I was. Then (new as I was to forum posts) I was the person who posted this was named DuluthMoose… Huh, I’m from Duluth too and one friend after a trip or two with us started to call my husband “Moose” because of his much larger in size and his desire to always single portage but primarily because Darryl didn’t even bother with dry-footing while on a trip. He just waded right in to get into the canoe or to portage. I figured out pretty quickly from that and a few other of his posts that DuluthMoose was my Darryl. I joined with here at Pnet and have been here since. Lots of good friends here yet and as far as I know so are Brent and some of his crew I’ve communicated with here and met at Rutabaga over the years. “They” say change is good. I say “Change is change.” Live and learn from it, but it’s okay to gripe and ask for things to be back to the good ole days.

I found the ‘places to paddle’ map but it only allows for you to read or add a trip, nothing to add info on the put-in like before.
Ex: I was at Blue Ridge last week and they really improved the boat ramp over the last year. So I simply want to add the new ramp info to the site and the only way to do so is to add still another trip-report. This would then require the new reader to read every trip report to find the occasional kernel of useful info. And on a popular place like mission Bay, that could be dozens of reports when all you want is to find out where to shove your boat into the water and how much to pay to do so.

You are right, P-net.com has totally ignored the readers. They ‘fixed’ the site and ignore the bugs in the new system.

I have the same problem at work. The old boss ‘devised’ a courthouse program that was so complicated it kept crashing the computers. She did it to be remembered! We finally had to hire an expert from IBM to come in and gut the program to get it to work. And every month, the boss wants something new which crashed an already overworked program. And it is not cool to tell someone that we cannot find their divorce or conviction file because the system has crashed… again… so call back next week and sorry about losing your children to an abusive ex who kidnapped them but… deal with modern technology.
But I also dated the assistant-programmer for the courts who was always bragging about something new she added. She wanted to ‘improve’ my personal website but that added so much code it raised my fees and her code made it more and more difficult for non-geeks to find anything. When I commented that I couldn;t work the new webpage, she called me stupid because anyone could see that you did this and then that and then this while pressing a b &c while stroking the fx key in a counter-clockwise manner, It was all in the tech manual, pages 456-1124!

Most people just want to look at a picture and click a single button that will take us to where we want to go. Anything more than three clicks is too complex for the average American who will quit and go someplace else.

I understand your frustration with this function.

No need to deride the entire website because this portion still needs tweaked.

You will recall that when this site upgraded the trip reports didn’t work. Now they do.

I just checked the launch site page and many of the put-ins in San Diego have been removed. Or maybe they never transferred over to the new site.
In particular, there was a spot on the SE side of Mission bay that is missing plus a few others scattered around said bay.

The problem is that the new P-Com is less friendly and less workable than the old p-net. It is more difficult to navigate, many of the older features and options that were popular were deleted, moved or changed to be unworkable.

On boy, thanks for the tip Yanoer.
Next time I get the urge to aggravate you, I’m not going too.

I’ll just deride you instead!
Could be fun…

BOB

@RikJohnson said:
I just checked the launch site page and many of the put-ins in San Diego have been removed.

Be thankful.

There are lots of places I’ve discovered on my own that I don’t share publicly. The less people that know about the spot, the less likely it is to be overrun with people.

Is this topic about the Paddling Locations Map I can access under “Go Paddling > Paddling Near Me”? When I click that I am presented with a map of the US, which has 14 dots and magnifying-glass symbols, and beneath that there is a list of 30 linked items, identified by name but not by state or more well know locations. When I zoom in, there are more red dots, which when clicked yield a message that says “this page is taking too long to load,” or some such, non-useful info. If this is working, it needs to be broken, because it is of little use.

I’d like to know what happened to the treasure trove of trip reports we used to have on p.net. That was a tremendous resource built by the efforts of hundreds of individuals who submitted trip reports. Trashing all that is a huge disservice to the paddling community. Moreover, it is a betrayal of the trust all the contributors had that their effort in writing and submitting trip reports was building a resource for all paddlers. Very callous of p.net/com management to let this happen. And I think the same could be said of the boat reviews–what happened to all them?

Overstreet, where are the trip reports you mentioned are available?

~~Chip

Paddling.com.edy,
has slipped through its net,
but then such a big mesh,
is bound to back ears wet,

or maybe blistered,
scorch of old users’ taunt,
wherewith the ghost of chance,
might soon abandon haunt,

to let new blood in,
(piped in a trans-confusion)
pennies in dip-dipped blades,
must swing for cash infusion,

and thus found up a river,
what have we here attained,
stuck in the shallows meaning,
we’re hull of paddled estranged

@Sparky961 said:

@RikJohnson said:
I just checked the launch site page and many of the put-ins in San Diego have been removed.

Be thankful.

There are lots of places I’ve discovered on my own that I don’t share publicly. The less people that know about the spot, the less likely it is to be overrun with people.

So everyone should not share knowledge? I am not that selfish. I may meet people there or see people enjoying themselves. I might also have to wait a few minutes which is not that bad.

@PaddleDog52 said:

@Sparky961 said:

@RikJohnson said:

Be thankful.

So everyone should not share knowledge? I am not that selfish. I may meet people there or see people enjoying themselves. I might also have to wait a few minutes which is not that bad.

No, I’ll share knowledge. I just keep the special places that few know about in reserve.

Reserve for what? It’s not my earth. How many will show up when you do? Around me I see couple of people here and there even clubs are 7-10 max. Plenty of water here. Not like Jones Beach here where it fills up parking lot.

To each their own.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Reserve for what? It’s not my earth. How many will show up when you do? Around me I see couple of people here and there even clubs are 7-10 max. Plenty of water here. Not like Jones Beach here where it fills up parking lot.

I’m thinking you’re an extrovert.

Me? Not so much.