The One Lure Challange

Late spring DC…June? ;-p
As for the fly, perhaps a chartreuse, white and red marabou bugger…You have smallies, right?

Is so, a small shrimp pattern…

Hmmm…

YotF

Spawn is the big concern
It’s be nice if the water had reached the magic temperature of 64 degrees. That seems to energize the smallmouth out of their winter lethargy. Spawn is usually earlier than that - maybe when the water temps hit the mid-50’s again. Usually second or third week of April, or thereabouts.

Our rivers have had some big fish kills, and so fishing during spawn is a mega-nega activity so far as I’m concerned. Give those fishies every chance to repopulate. Heck, I’d pipe in some violin music if I thought it’d set the mood better for them.

Mid-May to early June. Thereabouts. Br’er Rat and I will figure something out. We’ll post it here as well as our other hangout when the time is ripe.

I’m thinking a paddle/wade type competition. Not real interested in having a bunch of jet-boaters involved. That can easily be taken care of by the stretch of water selected and the put-in/take-outs available without having to make up any rules.

• Big D

Not familiar with this river…
is it doable by a flatwater kayaker in a Tarpon 160? Or would I have to get a WW yak and learn to negotiate WW? If the latter… I would wade only…

YotF

Well, hard to say
Once we pick a river, we’ll let you know. If the Shenandoah, 16’ may be a bit long and you may want to borrow a short recreational kayak. NO problem there. If I haven’t got a spare, ShenandoahRiverRat does. If his spare is used, between us our friends can outfit half the Navy in little plastic boats.

If the Potomac, then your 16’ boat may be real nifty for paddling upriver faster than everyone else.

I paddle a 13’ rec boat on both of these rivers. It can be a bit tight, but it can be done. I know one fellow who paddles a 16’ Tarpon on this section of the Potomac regularly. My Scanoe is 16’ and one heck of a lot less maneuverable than your kayak, so I’m sure it’d be OK. It’s pretty big.

As far as WW, there may be a drop or two depending on where we pick, but nothing that should give pause to someone who can launch through surf. You’d be fine.

• Big D

Launching through surf is not the
problem…landing SUCKS…

I have been told to try to land facing the waves, and to paddle into the breakers, and allow the swells to take me ashore.

Gonna have to try it sometime… There is always swimming! ;-p

YotF

D…I think we could find a stretch

– Last Updated: Dec-01-06 10:48 PM EST –

of water that all three of us would do well on...either your river or mine. But YotF..like D said...if you wanna use a shorter boat, I have a Loon 111 you are more than welcome to use. Besides...would love to meet you sometime and put a face to the thorn in my side the last couple on years on B and B. ;-)

Hey Garbo, garyr..you're both DC metro...you wanna piece 'o this? Love to have ya...

Sounds like fun. Too far for me,
though.

Thanks for the invite
but about the only thing I know about fishing is which end of the rig I hold. Sounds like fun.

Thanks SRR… As for the use of the
Loon. That would be the better option, since I woud be travelling with the wife and dogs and staying with my aunt in Bethesda. I could do the trip with one vehicle if I borrowed the Loon, would need two for my own yak.

How is the fishing in the Potomac near Seven Locks Road? Puts ins and take outs? Look fishy.

YotF

Then ye shall have use of the Loon
As for the P’mac near 7 locks…we’ll need to have Big D weigh in on that one. He knows that area far better than I. The Doah is more my baliwick.

You sure?
There’s usually beer involved.

• Big D

Sorry, not quite my neck o’ the woods
I usually fish the Potomac, but not the Seven Locks area. I usually fish between Harper’s Ferry and Leesburg. There’s WAY more areas worth fishing on the Potomac than that, but those areas are close by, pretty, easy access, productive - what more do I need? Plus there’s reciprocity on my VA license in that area, so I can fish the MD water without paying for a MD out of state license.

However, if you’re ever up this way and want to try Seven Locks, I’ll be happy to pull out a map and see what can be seen. It can be tough for me to set aside time to paddle & fish, but if you give me enough heads up I can usually do it. I love getting to know areas new to me.

• Big D

I’m interested
I’d love to get together with a bunch of folks. I often paddle the Potomac from Violettes Lock and go upstream to a few of the islands. Sharpshin Island, which is out in the river across from the Algonkian Park in VA has a nice sandy beach and people from MD and VA can get access to the river there easily. But, I don’t know anything about fishing so this may not be a great spot.

Well don’t worry
If you show up and don’t even bring a rod, you’ll have just as much success as I often have with one.

Would be fun to have you around. Violette’s Lock is OK for fishing, but can be a bit tough for paddling with the jet-skiers around. I’ve never actually had a problem with them but have heard horror stories. In fact, I’ve been treated very courteously by the jet-skiers every time I’ve been out fishing or paddling using the Algonkian launch.

• Big D

Fishing near Sharpshin
At their worst, the jetskiers can be an annoyance but nothing more than that. Early in the season you won’t see much because the water is cold.

I see lots of folks fishing along the shore of Sharpshin Island - people in Jon boats mostly. They like to get into where there is a fallen tree in the water and over some of the ledges in the river. During mid-summer I’m sure you’ve noticed how clear the river water gets and I’ve seen some real nice fish down below me as I come over a ledge and they are down there in the shade. You can also paddle up into Seneca Creek on the Maryland side from there. If you’ve paddled down that way and seen the C&O Canal Aqueduct over the creek - that’s it. Lots of shade along the creek in the summer.

Anyway, I look forward to it.

Have you checked the current?
There is some faster moving water there so river flow when you’re in the area will be critical. Check this topo map:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.97299&lon=-77.15753&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=25

The reason for the name ‘7 Locks’ has to do with the 7 locks on the C&O Canal there - you needed all those locks to raise and lower the boats.

That was why I questioned using
my Tarpon there… My only experience with rivers in that area is near 7 Locks road, and in the western part of the states… ie…White Water…Not great Tarpo 160 paddleing areas. But VERY Fishy looking.

YotF

I’d suggest upstream
My post above about Sharpshin Island is a reference. You would drive up River Road to Riley’s Lock which is where Seneca Creek empties into the Potomac. Definitely fishing there in the creek and in the river. The Islands offer both cover for the fish along their shores, and a great place to beach the boat and enjoy a lunch like the king of your own island. I do it.

If this interests you when you’re up here give me a call and I’ll be happy to paddle with you.

Edwards Ferry on the Potomac
I hope it’s OK to jump in. I would to like join the one lure challenge whenever it develops. I live in Poolesville, Maryland, and fish the Potomac from Seneca to White’s Ferry. The fishing can be pretty good in this area, and we could arrange to shuttle from either Edward’s Ferry to Violet’s lock, or White’s Ferry to Violet’s lock. All of those places have adequate parking and decent ramps. My lure of choice would have to be the tube if I could only pick one.

Br’er Rat and I haven’t worked it out
But when we do, we’ll post here. Whoever wants to join in can join in. Especially if you’re good with knowing where ramps are and willing to help with running shuttle.

We fish some of the same water. I concentrate the area between Knoxville Falls and Noland’s Ferry, but am hoping to expand my horizons some both upstream and down this year. If you see a fellow out rowing a Scanoe, or paddling a red Dagger Approach or a white Perception America rigged with two rods, come on over and see whether he’s me. If he is, I’m sure that I’ll be able to convince him to share a beer or a bait with you.

• Big D