The power of the banana

Headed for Jocassee this morning. Had gotten up feeling not too good but a paddle on a beautiful day can’t be ignored.
Did the first half feeling like crud, then ate the banana. Wow! In short order I was feeling much better and stronger.
No news here; we all know bananas are good for us K?
I can’t remember when the positive effects were so noticeable. I usually have one every morning with breakfast but had delayed today.
It was beautiful.

2 Likes

I share your daily banana consumption and believe in the power of a good diet. There are lots of historical nautical fears and myths about mixing boats and bananas. Glad you proved them wrong. Have a look at some There is something fishy about bananas | Fishing Australia

At least I wasn’t fishing.

Different days or did you switch boats?

I paddled the Pungo 140 which compared to the Tarpon 140 is a rocket.
Far less effort is needed to keep the Pungo going.

Having lived eight years in Hawaii, I am superstitious about bananas on boats.

In my effort to stay relevant, I’ll offer two things about bananas:

https://scitechdaily.com/new-research-reveals-why-you-shouldnt-add-a-banana-to-your-smoothies/

We were really surprised to see how quickly adding a single banana decreased the level of flavanols in the smoothie and the levels of flavanol absorbed in the body,” Ottaviani said.
(Berries are expensive so I’ve ditched the banana)

I found the list of possible reasons intriguing.

My favorite:

• Early anglers in Hawaii would embark upon lengthy fishing trips in dugout canoes provisioned with (along with other food items) bananas. The farther they went, the fewer the fish, causing some of them to mistake correlation for causation.*

The plentiful load of carbohydrates will make people who are not metabolically flexible feel suddenly better as glucose is fueling their muscles.
Same reason you feel better after a can of coke and has about half the sugar.

On the plus side, green bananas have resistant starch which feeds the beneficial gut microbiome.

The reality is half the population doesn’t need the sugar but it does make you feel temporarily better.

If you are an athlete with good glucose control, have at it. :blush: