The Sea Wind

Paddle one
Where are you? If you are near one of us that have these boats you most likely can paddle one instead of just talk about it.

If you are near DC you are welcome to paddle my Soaring Eagle, Sea Wind, and maybe others too.

:^)

Mick

Sorry to take so long jpc
I only have 7 days of paddling in my seawind, but they were on sarasota bay and the gulf in florida. My speed in the seawind is about the same as my robroy, about 3.5 miles an hour for a comfortable daylong pace. I felt confident crossing tampa bay which has a major shipping channel solo. The tractor seat in the seawind is very comfortable.http://community.webshots.com/user/hoosierpaddler

Oh my gosh!

– Last Updated: Mar-17-07 4:28 AM EST –

Am I seeing things or is that cable going through your roof and into your car?

Do others do that?

How did you seal the roof and are you worried about resale?

What type of straps are those used to secure the yak to the bars?

How’s Your Soaring Eagle v. SeaWind
Mick,

See you couldn’t stay away from these pages :wink:

Anyway, I’m going to take a day and visit Scott at Superiorkayaks/Sawyer Kayaks here in Michigan.

How do ya’ like the Eagle?

Glenn

P.S. - Fixed your computer, yet???

wow
Now that’s a real security system!

Cable through roof?
I don’t see that as extreme. The car was almost 4yrs old from what the manufacture date, i bought used a year earlier. Most modifications to a car will either drop the resale value or won’t increase the value. I have never seen or heard of anybody else cabling through the roof like I did. The cable lock I used has a rounded end so it slides through the hole. As far as sealing it is a tight fit and chewing gum for caulk, althou it gets brittle in the cold hasn’t leaked yet. I like to use the things I own and not let them own me.

April Fools on the Big Pine
NW Indiana? A group of us paddle the Big Pine on April Fools day every year. I believe it’s a Sunday this time. You interested?

Big Pine

– Last Updated: Mar-18-07 9:28 PM EST –

Can a beginner handle the Big Pine? I assume you use Kayaks?

http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/canoe/bigpine.htm

One stretch named Rocky Ford is a series of rock ledges just downstream from Rainsville. During periods of high water this stretch provides some of the finest whitewater canoeing in Indiana. The water rapidly slides over the creek's solid rock bottom for a distance of approximately 1/2 mile. Expert kayakers and canoeists are tested by the chutes and standing waves (some as high as 3 feet) during high flow

beginner? Probably not.

– Last Updated: Mar-20-07 10:53 AM EST –

It depends. If you know how to maneuver your canoe through moving water it can be fun.

Big Pine fluctuates between CI to CIV depending on water levels. At lower levels we usually put in below Rocky Ford.

Rocky Ford is river wide ledge system with no evident channel through. It is a mess and usually causes a few upsets. Usually the water is thin enough to step out, bail and continue.

Though there are a few kayaks most of us use open canoes.

Being early in the season everyone brings a drybag with extra clothes.

It is always possible to put in below Rocky Ford. A road parralells the river in that reach.

Soaring Eagle doing FINE!

– Last Updated: Mar-19-07 7:52 PM EST –

Hi Glenn,

I do check in. I post little. Lurking I believe it is called But I am totally gone days and weeks at a time. If really need to get me, e-mail or call.

The Soaring Eagle is safe and sound in the basement. After my partial lock jaw last summer I had to drop out of the Superior and the rest of the trips for the year. Paddled her a little, but ever finished the outfitting totally. The Soaring Eagle is longer and larger, therefore by design faster, carries more, and drier paddling. She has a fold flat on the deck Hobie Cat rudder with two sizes of blades.

My Soaring Eagle is not actual full production model. The hull is final mold full production, but the deck is still from the proto type mold. Does that make it a half proto type? ;^) Is there really a difference? Yes. The final deck mold will make the boat narrower and easier to paddle.

Computer, Juno, and I have a real hate-love relationship going on. Notice how I turned the love-hate around as it is more hate and a lot less love these days!

Tell Scott "Hi" when you see him.

>:^)

Mick

canoe make
what type of canoe do you use on the Big Pine and what is its length? Thanks.

Willdo
Will Do.

Got it, Mick.

Glenn

mohawksolo 14
I use my Mohawk solo 14. But there will be many different canoes there.

any 16/17 footers?
and do you think there will be any rocks that you would need to watch out for?

Rocky Ford=rocks
What do you mean? Sure there are rocks, that’s why we go. Big Pine isn’t a smooth flatwater float. It’s billed as Indiana’s best whitewater stream. That ain’t saying much, but there are rocks.

One more question
Sorry if my questions are a bit off. In regards to speed, is it possible to slow down enough so there would not be damage to the canoe. In other words can you take some type of action to make sure that you will not damage the boat. Or, is the stream to fast to slow down or the rocks are submerged and you can’t see them.

JPC - Rocks - Current - 16’ canoes
jpc,

Most of us running rocky fast moving rivers, aka whitewater, use royalex or polyethelene canoes.

Makes hitting the rocks much less painfull.

If you want to learn how to run whitewater in 16’+ tripping canoes (as opposed to dedicated whitewater playboats) I’d recomend Bill Masons “Path of the Paddle - Whitewater” films.

http://www.whitewatervideo.com/cgi-bin/WWVStore/perlshop.pl?ACTION=thispage&ORDER_ID=227246580&thispage=BillMason.htm#path

Mason did it in wood canvas canoes!

I’d also recomend that you hook up with experienced folk before going out on moving water.

Have fun,

Tommy

What Tommy said…
On my first Big Pine trip I had a Souris River Quetico 16 in duralite. I paddled it solo from a middle seat. I did hit a few rocks. I didn’t dump.

What is your experience level? In moving water? What class rapids doyou feel comfortable running?

Maybe if you have to ask, you ain’t ready.

Pamlico 145
it’s a very good design. The problem is that you really can’t get the weight down that much with regular composite given the beam. WS went through this with the glass/kevlar versions and so have other manufacturers. Their published weights are way below the actual weight.

With that much beam there’s a lot of loading on the bilges and if there isn’t a well designed core and the hull is a regular glass layup it’ll flex a LOT cracking the gel coat.

An open canoe allows for a bunch of flexing at the gunwales with no consequence but when it’s decked the weight and need to adequately address the stress risers raises the weight a lot.

I think this is why the Kruger boats throw light weight out the window and go for durability.