The troll cap

I spotted this link at the 37 signals Blog. They are using this tool to identify trolls on their site. I will leave it up to Brent and Brian to decide if they want to implement this idea.

http://37signals.com/svn/archives2/introducing_the_troll_cap.php

Personally I think a troll hat on next to a user name might be a good deterrent to flaming posts.

Also they have a dunce cap for those who ask questions to which the information is readily accessible. I think that might not be very new visitor friendly.

Can I name any users who might get a troll cap?

Go ahead and name em
They’e probably just people who disagree with you!

These sites have a predictable evolution, and typically become on-line cliques of like minded who re-inforce each other and drive away anyone with alternative views. The good sites allow for disagreement.

I revoke my earlier statement about the
duncecap.

True !!

Go ahead and name em

Posted by: salty on Feb-14-06 12:09 PM (EST)

They’e probably just people who disagree with you!

These sites have a predictable evolution, and typically become on-line cliques of like minded who re-inforce each other and drive away anyone with alternative views. The good sites allow for disagreement.

You hit the Nail on the Head !!

How can I get one?
I consider myself more of a Robin Goodfellow than a troll, but that sounds cool, too.

Even the hint of
that type of censorship from self appointed eliteist Web masters or friends of said same will result in a dead forum. What a boneheaded idea.

Jeeeezzzzzzz !!!

Has anyone noticed
there is no alert button anymore?

what is a troll
no really…

Don’t flatter yourself
Robin Goodfellow, Puck? Not even close ?

I know several Goodfellows believe it or not and you are more of a PITA Goodfellow, if at all.

Serious answer
A troll is usually someone suffering from a family of mental disorders rooted in low self esteem. This deficit drives their behavior, with the principal thrusts being extensive efforts to call attention to themselves, in the form of many posts a day; posts that frequently either provoke or put down others, or go on and on about themselves. This is their attempt to feel good about themselves by trying to upset or put down others, or exaggerate their signifcance.

Trolls will have a history of interpersonal conflicts and few real achievements. However, they will always cast themselves as the victims, even though they initiate the negative. Trolls typically create an alibi with their attacks by crafting them in the form of a jest, suggestion or other guise they can fall back on and blame their targets for the ensuing conflict. Trolls create their own reality. They rationalize their aberrant need for conflict and negativity as being discerning, witty or some other inncocuous trait.

The web has provided an ample outlet for this dysfunction. So, you can find a number of studies and articles about it.

Now this is what you should have said

– Last Updated: Feb-15-06 11:15 AM EST –

Seadart: "Robin Goodfellow, Puck? You're more like Bottom, the dimwitted weaver who becomes an ass."

But "PITA Goodfellow", man that's just lame. My 7 yo would have come up with a better insult than that, and all he would have said is "More like Robin Poo-Poo head."

I forget, did we get crossways once? What, did I push you off the swingset at recess or something?

Here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

according to Da Yoopers a troll is
A Troll is someone who lives below the Bridge, meaning most likely the Mackinaw Bridge separating Upper from Lower Michigan, but in some cases it could mean the Zilwaukee Bridge which in its own way is a marker dividing the lower half of Michigan’s lower penninsula from the northern portion of the Michigan’s lower pennisula. Sometimes the Detroit and Kalamazoo areas are just called “down below”.

Linda
Thanks for the reminder of 'Da Yoopers. Have a couple of casettes of their “Classics” like “Second Week of Deercamp,” Second Week of Deercamp Vol II," “Rusty Chevrolet,” et al. Yup, their definition of “Trolls” is a bit different! WW

Troll…? I Am Small…
like a leprechaun. Follow me and I have a wee bit pot of somethin’ for ya…

http://www.boatertalk.com/gear-detail.php?gid=25797

When you’re happy, the bloody trolls can’t do a thing. :slight_smile:

sing

we already have a troll detector …
It’s called the Bicker and Banter forum.

As a general rule, whenever I get zinged I’ll search the B&B and if they’re a regular on the B&B I tell them I’m not going to dignify their comment with a response.

And that’s usually the end of it.