Thermoformed kayaks......

I’ve been concentrating on Eddyline, but wondering how Delta models comparable to the Fathoms stack up.( Not really interested in 17’ or larger.)

I paddle mostly calmer waters,rivers, springs, but am interested in trying more open areas with some challenges such and even tours of several days. But I am shopping for an “all -around” kayak and understand that I’d make sacrifices one way or another.

Delta
makes some very nice boats. The 16 is a competent all rounder. The 12.10 is is a good river/springs boat for our Florida waters. I have owned a Fathom by Eddyline which many people enjoy but the romance did not happen for me and I sold it. Many with more seat time in both brands may chime in. Waterbird who posts here has a Delta12.10 which she prefers over her Eddyline Journey.

the 2 Fathoms
were fun when I was able to test paddle them this past Sunday. Just need to search where I can try out Deltas.

I like the 15s and 16 as far as size and looks go.

Again, Eddyline Raven
If you are limiting yourself to a thermoformed boat, I stongly advise you to consider the Raven. At the very least it should be the standard that you use for comparison. It is a no compomise sea kayak that will do it all and it is under 17 feet.

Agree with Magooch
I don’t know anything about Deltas but I have test paddled both of the Fathoms and the Raven and by far I prefer the Raven. So if you go with Eddyline try out the Raven.

Specifics of Raven better?

– Last Updated: Nov-25-15 2:09 PM EST –

Hey, magooch and dc9mm: I have a Fathom and love it for what I do (mountain lakes of various size); similarly, my wife loves her Fathom LV. I will probably never have a chance to try a Raven, so I would love to hear as specifically as possible just what it is that makes one prefer it; in what context? (My underlying wonder is about whether or not I might also prefer it or whether what it is specifically good at is not so relevant to me.) Thanks!

Raven
To start with, the Raven is fast–especially considering it is 16’-9". Actually, I’ve paddled longer boats that didn’t feel as fast. The boat handles very easily and just does everything very, very well.

A while back, I saw an Internet video that showed a fellow playing around in surf in a Raven (side surfing, etc.) and he made it all look so easy. I’ve only paddled the Raven a few times at demoes and even from that, I could tell the boat was one of the top 5 all around boats I’ve paddled.

I also like the looks of the boat; I’m partial to the British style. Eddyline has done a nice job of contouring the deck, etc. to stiffen things up. Yeah, the boat weighs about 50 lbs., but that certainly isn’t too much for a boat of its size.