Think about this...

“Waterproof Dry Bag”

https://www.boatsofamerica.com/products/waterproof-dry-bag?fbclid=IwAR10kngFOA8LaoizNqB4kBYCzSfmNpX0t2qhhzz90sIJ18GFruUZkrz5dPE

Wondering what boaters need this level of clarity.

anyone that does long trips. It helps to color pack. A lot easier than squeezing or opening multiple yellow bags to find a warm shirt or your paddling jacket. When I did long trips , I always did this. I still do it even for day trips. Certain bags always have the same things in them.

yup… Good idea

Yeah kayamedic has it. It is the waterproof dry bag part. It suggests that someone is selling not waterproof dry bags…

I actually like the pastel colors. Just don’t know about buying from a manufacturer who feels the need to add waterproof.

I’m with Celia on this. The bags may be great but but a drybag is a drybag, period. Not waterproof or splashproof. But a drybag.

Colors are nice but where are the 5 litre bags? And 40L and 70L? Holy Buckets. Great for canoes and rafts but kayaks? About the colors…I have a few random colored bags but they don’t tell me anything. Each and every drybag goes into one and only one place in my boat. I know what’s in a bag by where it is located.
Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

@Chodups said:
I have a few random colored bags but they don’t tell me anything. Each and every drybag goes into one and only one place in my boat. I know what’s in a bag by where it is located.
So when you carry the bags to your tent, store them in your tent and carry them back to your boat, you have to remember where each bag was located in the boat to be able to tell what is in it. I couldn’t live with that.

This just in from the Department of Redundancy Department: Boatsofamerica is now offering…

If someone don’t know what a drybag is, it could as well be interpreted as a bag which only works in dry conditions. And you would then need to have a wetbag to wet conditions…

So it is only redundant if you know what a drybag is.

I still don’t get why anyone who did not know what a drybag is would get one in the first place. And this is not just for paddling. When I was doing some camping in my earlier days I still wanted drybags for packing stuff inside the backpack. Though that was long enough ago they didn’t have the really nice light ones like now.

I hadn’t noticed the sizes on these bags. I went went to using more 5 and 10 liter bags when I had the Explorer because of the 10 inch hatch openings. But for canoes the larger sizes are often more efficient.

As to what Chodups and Allan each said about how to manage the contents of drybags, I tend to use a combination of location, shape (like tapered and round) and color to pack stuff into and out of a boat. I suspect most of us have a personal system that is some combination of these factors and are managing it just fine.

Good grief! Is it winter?

@Allan Olesen said:
So when you carry the bags to your tent, store them in your tent and carry them back to your boat, you have to remember where each bag was located in the boat to be able to tell what is in it. I couldn’t live with that.

I have a system that works for me. I have two net beach bags that are stored in the front hatch. One is directly under the hatch cover and the first item to come out. Front hatch contents go into that bag. The second beach bag comes out last and day hatch / rear hatch contents go into it. The tapered clothing bag is stored in the front hatch and its shape and size make the two bags easy to identify. I know from the size, shape and feel plus which beach bag each drybag is in what its contents are.

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

@Chodups said:
I know from the size, shape and feel plus which beach bag each drybag is in what its contents are.

So it wasn’t just position.

@string said:
Good grief! Is it winter?

Good one… Why this is even a topic for serious discussion is beyond me… Its mostly chuffing

Do these bags seem a little too “inexpensive” for a good dry bag?

@Chodups said:
I have two net beach bags that are stored in the front hatch.

On my ‘long’ trips, I used a similar system.
I would carry 3 ‘backpack style - mesh’ bags. One in forward bh, two in rear.
On landing for the day, in order to get the kayak out of the way of incoming tide, I would quickly unload kayak into the 3 bags, and move everything up. (NO to dragging a fully loaded kayak, MUCH too heavy to carry)

I had not planned for this to be a packing debate, just thought the ad was pretty silly and it’d go away with a few abusive jokes.
But it appears folks have dialogue around that.

The translation is a bit marginal.
Don’t we all need “DOUBLE FISH SHIELD BARRELS”

:smiley:

Quoting from the ad copy (emphasis mine):

“Keep your gear dry in any wet situation where the bag is not fully submerged.”

Maybe that explains the low price.

Yeah, think you got it. I missed that detail.