Thinking about Kayak Fishing?

Im pretty new to kayaks in general,Last summer my wife and I bought out first Kayaks. I got a Pungo 140,she got a Jackson Tupelo. I Really enjoy going out in it,it’s so peaceful!

So now im getting into fishing and plan on buying a power boat for family/fishing/fun,But I cant help but wonder how much fun would fishing from a kayak be? I see they have a Pungo 140 fishing version,but dont see a difference from what I got besides a rod holder?

I guess I could always try to fish from mine to see if I like it,but I would think something like a standard sit on top fishing kayak would be much more comfortable. I guess what im asking is,Would there be a night and day difference between a sit in vs sit on top for fishing?

Depends on the water and quarry

– Last Updated: Jan-28-16 4:02 PM EST –

If you are fishing in calm water, a canoe is a far better fishing craft than either a SOT or a SINK. I know people who fish from SINKs, but in general I think SOTs are better than SINKs for fishing. They usually have better primary stability, are easier to turn around in, easier to get back into if you turtle (which can happen when you're fighting a big fish), safer for going through surf, and more room to move around in, work with tackle, land a fish in, etc.

There are lots of kayaks that aren't explicitly fishing kayaks that can be used for fishing, and a lot of the fishing models are a regular model with rod holders, etc added to them. A lot of that you can do yourself to a "nonfishing" kayak you find works pretty well for the fishing you do.

Pungos are fine
Put a Scotty rod holder or two on it, and you’re good to go. Pick your locations carefully.

There is a difference between a Sit-In and a Sit-On-Top for fishing, but there is nothing in the world to stop you from fishing from a Sit-In. I do it all the time.

I like to use different sizes of single hooks and jigs and mostly soft plastics for kayak fishing. Figure out what works for you.

Have fun and stay safe.

Kayak vs. fishing boat

– Last Updated: Feb-02-16 1:30 PM EST –

I have a canoe I use for fishing and have fished many times from a kayak. I find them fine for waters where it's impossible to use a larger boat, but far from ideal. Wind will blow your kayak around and you spend a lot of time trying to stay in the best position.

If you want to try your kayak for fishing, there are many rod holders you can install. A couple of flush mount rod holders behind you and maybe a Scotty in front of you should do the trick, but make sure you mount them where they won't interfere with your paddling or your legs.

That said, if I'm doing serious fishing and there is a boat ramp available I always take the motor boat. There are simply too many advantages.

What Big D said
If the kayak works for you outside of fishing, give fishing from it a try. You can get rod holders to fit any boat, including your Pungo.

My daughter catches largemouth bass from a 12 recreational kayak that isn’t a whole lot different from your Pungo with no problem - and it doesn’t even have a rod holder.

OTOH - if you plan on going where the fish are really big and getting back in the boat by yourself may be on the menu, a SOT will be safer.

SOT works for me
I have had a bass boat in the past and now have, and enjoy a Hobie Pro Angler 14. I am on the large size, so the stability and comfort of the PA sold me. The adjustable chair, wide enough to stand while fly fishing and the ability to carry everything needed while on the water was a plus. Bottom line: Getting a little higher up in the kayak while casting can make your day more enjoyable.

no need

foot propeled