This one is especially tragic

Various above
Even with limited info, this is very much a case of they didn’t know what they didn’t know. People should not be slammed for that, or few of us would have made it out of our teenage years without crippling embarrassment.

To play devil’s advocate though, there is also the matter of seeking advice as part of being responsible for others. If this discussion results in other people thinking more prudently about taking their kids out in that area, while it stinks for the survivor it might get the attention of others who had the same idea. Like other families camping on those islands.

Wearing lighting is always better, wondering if later reports will indicate if a regular strobe would have been seen. The orange ones from marine stores tend to survive being wet better than any supposedly waterproof flashlight I have tried. Maybe wearing a waterproof headlamp around the neck, set loose? I often go out on after work paddles with a headlamp aroundmy neck. Does not get in the way and easy access.

Advice and guidance is an impossible thing in recreational activities. I advised a couple in rec kayaks wearing bathing suits on a bird nesting piece of rock (small island) in Muscongus in July of the situation. But one day after I was there I bet that two of their friends came out. And would that the local rescue folks could take Columbus Day wknd off in the Adirondacks. But they always find themselves doing rescues that come down to lack of knowledge.

As to rescuability, I agree 2 boats is better. But a proper sea tandem should also be manageable situation unless the conditions are bad. Same as canoe, one person balances the other getting in then the reverse with edging and bracing. Maybe a little paddle float action for the second person depending on strength and flexibility. But as with anything else practice is the key to understand both how to and where it is not going to work. Back to the first sentence, they didn’t know what they didn’t know.

So if we inform those reporting this that they could provide a public service by covering safety concerns when they report these tragedies perhaps the number that don’t know will become better informed.

It is good that we discuss this, but it only reaches folks on this site.

Yeah, I don’t know much about SOTs either. I have read that they are unsinkable unless damaged - but maybe not? That’s what got me wondering. And there’s also always the potential issue of inaccurate reporting. Another example in Celia’s posted link. the article refers to the “13½-foot (4-meter) kayak”. I know my math is not that great, but that leaves me scratching my head.

We could learn a lot more about these incidents, maybe more useful info, if reporters would get the details right. But - I admit that is minutiae rather meaningless to most, and I have to hand it to that last reporter for getting the important stuff into the article.

A flashlight is a good addition to most people’s safety gear list (including my own), but flares should be in everyone’s safety kit already. I carry them in my vest pocket. If I get separated from my boat, they aren’t going to do me any good in the day hatch or packed away elsewhere.

Yup, nothing in this thread is going to impact what newbies like this family do. But maybe others who are here but newer at it.

Flares good, only issue is that they need to be replaced every year or two if the traditional ones. I would argue here for the laser type because they last longer and, unlike the hand flares, have a few hours of constant duration. And you can carry just one and tie it off to a PFD pocket D-ring.

I and my husband each had one but this.is an improvement opportunity for me, to replace it. Both finally had fatal corrosion after much time in a damp environment. My recall is that there are some legality arguments about them, but if you are swimming in an emergency the risk of impacting airport flights is pretty thin. And then again if you do annoy the authorities pretty good chance someone will rescue you so they can give you a fine.

The laser flares are a bit pricier but then again so is buying a new set of flares every season. The smaller one by Greatland Laser is good for a few hrs and costs $80.

Well, the discussion here is very helpful for me, a relative newb, in educating myself about some of the dangers I wouldn’t have understood before, and, above all, cementing my conviction that one must always only go out in conditions appropriate to one’s skill level and degree of preparedness. So thanks.

Flares last 42 months.

ACR strobe is good in PFD pocket. Probably 13 bucks last a long time flashing. VHF would have helped too but people cheap out. Now the kids are gone. What would you pay for your kids lives or your own? When you’re out there no second chance for oh I should have brought this or that.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-3963-C-Light-LED-Manual-Activated-Personal-Distress-Light-P4828.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGMPs10VswxC0lRUvxkvFGclJxdI_pahy5aKyen9q7WMc9CMFbJ2QIBoC3awQAvD_BwE

I have one on me & one in kayak. Die-electric the contacts point inside zero corrosion. Although they should never have a problem without it.

Question of distance depends upon the launch point. The accident site on the Facebook map is likely where they ended up.

Overstreet, take a look at the satellite image on Google. Find the spots where there is parking lot indicating public access to launch a boat on Madelaine Island. I did yesterday. Not exactly overloaded with options.

I learned alot from National Cold Water Safety post about this incident on Facebook,
Yes it will impact my trips. I carry on me a radio and a PLB… Both have a strobe. The radios goes off when immersed but its a tiny light… The PLB when activated also has a strobe.
Perhaps instead of presenting our collective egos we could look and see if there is a teachable moment for us. For me the answer is yes. I learned the worth of a waterproof flashlight. I had not thought about floating for hours in the water and being benighted and having a night rescue. I am a day time paddler.
Two years ago in Maine we had three die simply because the radio was not on the person but rather in the kayak. This made me make provisions for wearing the radio and not bungeeing it to the boat in a convenient spot.
While the family did not make wise decisions we can perhaps think about our personal kit/procedures because of this unfortunate event.

What went wrong?? FIVE people in one boat in open water!

I saw the following link at another site. The KSTP-TV news reader interviewed U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Justin Sickler and claims he stated the family was “well prepared.” Hard to believe that such a statement was actually made.

https://kstp.com/news/coast-guard-family-was-well-prepared-before-kayak-capsized-in-apostle-islands/5054086/?cat=1

Officer Sickler does confirm the SOT kayak was located (as marked on the map posted by Moulton Avery), so filled with water there was no (reported) retrieval of the boat. While there’s no information on the make of kayak other than it was a tandem SOT, am guessing the ditch bag Ms. Mews went for was located in a hatch. I’m not sure if I would have the presence of mind to reseal a hatch under such conditions.

Good point by kayamedic about the waterproof flashlight. I’m also a day paddler whose PLB is always on me, but I don’t always carry my VHF/DSC radio which does have a SOS strobe. I’ll have to rethink that.

Since I’m of the “if you don’t have it on you, you don’t have it” philosophy, what would be carried in a kayak ditch bag?

We’ve talked about paddling deaths before, but what makes this so poignant for me is those three young kids, It’s a loss that affects us all as who knows what wonderful things they may have accomplished.

@Celia said:
Overstreet, take a look at the satellite image on Google. Find the spots where there is parking lot indicating public access to launch a boat on Madelaine Island. I did yesterday. Not exactly overloaded with options.

I drove around the whole island in July. Boat ramps are at the state part, county Park,(south shore) , near the ferry landing and one mid way +/- on the North shore. There could be private landings.

Distance to “x” could be greater than reported. Doesn’t matter. Distance is minor between islands in a seakayak averaging 3 mph on a morning paddle before afternoon t-storms. But we know that wasn’t the case.

Ah, was thinking you may be suggesting shorter.

Storm drift may have been impressive post capsize.

We didn’t paddle Madaline or any of those islands mentioned. We’d already done three days and just wanted a hiking, tourist day. Lots of trees and rocks. Not a lot of “city” , more small farms, forest, and vacation homes. Didn’t go on the reservation. …maybe. They look just like everywhere else.

I recommend Bayfield for vacation. It is a great area to paddle for prepared paddlers.

Ranger at the NPS HQ told us they loose about one a month. It’s usually young men that go out in conditions above their abilities and equipment.

@Rookie Re that CG officer’s statement, if he did say such a thing it was without a lot of thought. I know CG guys, they would never ever say 5 people in a 13.5 ft kayak was a plan, let alone being near a channel with weather coming in. Probably misquoted, I hope anyway. A ditch bag is only fully effective if you ditch on land before getting dangerously hypothermic.

Taking kids that young that far seems crazy to me no matter if they had every piece of kayak gear available.