Thoughts on maybe a Dagger Halifax Kayak for sale?

I say maybe bc all the owner on FB marketplace NJ says is it is 17 feet long, I ruled out the euro x bc I think that came w 3 hatches and this one has 2, it also has the stratos paint looks, ie many colors from from to back( purple, blue and white if it matters) did Dagger make any other 17 foot Kayaks. As I have mentioned in other post I am on the lookout for a 3rd kayak but do not know if I need a 17 foot, it would be used on the Delaware bay , no need for long trips I am a day paddler , and I am a newbie paddler with a 14,5 riot and a 13.5 feel free fishing yak, thank you in advance for your help. Not sure if it is a great deal at the listing price of $900 but I think there is room for discussion there. Trying to see what is the logical next boat up.

How old is it?

Condition?

Poly correct?

Link to?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/304403294766553/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

I do not know any other info about it and all I got from the seller is it is 17 feet long, any help would be great thank you.

@PaddleDog52 , guy came back and said it is a Magellan but he also said it is about 10 years old which does not seem right IIrc they stopped making them about 20 years ago. Not sure it is worth the trip down to see it, saw a eddy line fathom for sale in the other direction so may look at that first but it is more money.

Last two digits on hull serial number is the year it was made. So xxxxxxx98 was made in 1998 or xxxxxxx01 is 2001.

900 seems high for that old of a plastic boat. And is it actually 16 ft and some inches? I could be wrong but I thought the Magellan was more in the day boat range.

And yes, the Magellan went out of production well before 2011.

An for the boat, hard to say. I know people who have loved that boat. Jim and I both tried it out when it was supposed to be a hot new offering from Dagger. It was too big to be right for me, but more importantly we both felt like the boat wallowed when we got into anything dimensional. Which we did - the place we were trying this from was near a point on a big lake that had reliable good sized motion from reflecting boats wakes as well as a wind with long fetch for all of the middle part of the day. But you could be someone who loves it. The boat does its job, get you home safe.

Totally agree on the price esp if it is 20 years old, I would just buy a new dagger stratos 14l for not that much more money, well I will us sit on the Delaware Bay I would be fine w a 14 foot vs 16 foot. Do you remember if when you tested dit did it have a rudder? Thanks for the feedback.

I don’t remember if it had a rudder. I don’t recall deploying it but I never did that when I tested boats anyway. I figured if I couldn’t basically handle a boat without using the rudder it wasn’t for me.

But that was still very much the era of ruddered boats, so it would not have been something that stuck out. Jim’s first year Necky Elaho he got near then did have a skeg. But it was an early incarnation of the idea in the US, rare outside of creatures like the Nordies that arrived here from the UK.

Like I said above, if the deal seems reasonable there are people who love this boat. But I think the price has to drop a bit before that happens. I have a stored inside very clean boat from the same era that I have to get around to moving, in fact it is the Elaho I mentioned above. But I can’t see asking $900 for it.

ok I may end up seeing it, he has come way down in price and if it is in decent shape I will more than likely get it but I do not see a back hatch cover, any idea how hard it is to find one for a Dagger Magellan ?

Hatch covers for older boats are real hard to find rght now. Just went on a search for one yesterday, and appears to be another legacy of a year of CoVid.

Suggest looking at sites like SeaLect and phoning kayak outfits directly, bigger operations that have a mix of boats.

Look at TopKayaker.com for the hatch cover.

FWIW I stalk FBMP and CL in your area quite a bit and if you’re patient there are deals to be had. Just harder to find these days. Good luck.

thanks I have been searching there was a nice Eddyline stinks one year old but it sold in 2 days and a little higher than my budget.

@PaddleDog52 is that true for all kayaks , esp Eddyline ? TIA

The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a 12- or 14-character serial number that uniquely identifies a boat . The HIN is analogous to a VIN on a car. All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972, must bear a HIN, and this HIN must be identified during boat registration.

thanks , I was going to look at a Eddyline fathom but it sold 2 hours before I was to demo it. Good info to know bc it seems no-one knows how old their kayaks are or do not want to say. Thanks again for all your help.

All used twice 40 years old.

Yes powerboats too.

I ended up buying the dagger Magellan , he came way down on price and at $300 it was worth adding to my small but growing fleet, I have to replace some of the deck lines , but I do not think that should be to hard, thanks for all your help.

1 Like

I think you will be fine with the Magellan. Even if you find you want something else longer term, it’ll get you on the water.

Congratulations!

Have had the Magellan out a few times and so far so good, still have to figure out the foot pedals , can not get them to lock but so far so good. Thanks for all the help.