Thule or Yakima on 2014 4Runner?

I’ve had p/u trucks for 25 yrs and I finally turned 51 and got an SUV!? My head is spinning and I need to go kayaking soon. Looking for experienced SUV car-toppers with 16’ and over, 50+ lb sea kayaks for their input. I don’t need help loading it with rollers and side loaders. Just a rack system. Thanks.

whichever is cheaper
The '14 is a second or third year model, right? Might want to check used on Ebay and craigslist for load bars and towers, and make your decision based on price. People will offer you reasons to go with one or the other but both are fine.

Personally I forego all of the fittings and just rack my sea kayak on foam blocks on top of the rack, hull down.

Raised Rails
the '14 has raised rails so it’d take the Thule 450 Crossroad foot pack and bars. Piece of cake to install.

Where “upstate ny” u at?

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Niether!
I’d get these instead.

http://www.prolineracks.com/proline-cb5800-roof-rack-crossbars.html

I was told
Thule square crossbars are better at keeping mounts from slipping. The Round Yakima bars are for curved rooftops, where a square bar will not let attachments line up.

Used to be
In response to Pirate

Square bars don’t let attachments pivot on the bar. Pros and cons to that.

It used to be that being that the Yakima towers had more linkages that made up the components of the tower they could fit more curved surfaces than the previous Thule 400XT Aero foot. No longer such a factor with the newer 480 Traverse foot pack.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

If you are adding J racks…
…in case it’s relevant for you, I move my J racks around from car to car and from car to garage when I’m putting a raft on my roof. I find the Thule J-racks way easier to take off and put on quickly.

Thule it is…

– Last Updated: Oct-30-13 10:43 AM EST –

And Thule it will be.....
Marshall - I'm in Montana now. I used to live in the ADK's near Lake Plastic. Got to crowded.
Thanks

2011 4Runner use Rail Grab system
I have a 2011 4Runner so our roof rails are the same. I use the Yakima Rail Grabs which work perfectly for me with a sea kayak & canoe. I really don’t have any issues with any twisting.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/factory-tracks-or-rails/railgrab/