Tiderace xcite

I had the good fortune to purchase a new Tiderace Xcite today. I will submit a careful review in the next couple of weeks as I give it a thorough go in various conditions. The kayak I have is red with black panels and has the Hardcore layup. The construction look immaculate inside and out, no visible flaws upon close visual inspection.

I had time for a frigid hour paddle in the Hudson River, brrrr! I did some bracing, sculling, hard paddling, and extreme edging and turning as I went through some heavy current, eddies, and 15 mph wind. My initial impression is that this boat has very predictable linear stability curve feel on edging, makes both carved and slip turns very readily, and accelerated smartly.

These are just impressions. I will share more specific conclusions and give data about my weight, height, paddle ability and experience so the reader can judge for themselves better how the boat might suit them.

For now though, this boat looks to be the one I hoped, a boat that is a bit faster than a Romany, very playful, and one that can really be confidence inspiring when surfing, rock and tide race play, and yet comfortable for day trips and cruising.

Congratulations!
Been anticipating the arival of the TideRace boats.

Now there is one nearby.

Wait until wetzool hears about this!

Aled’s characterization
The Xcite is my choice boat here, and it’s all about having a reserve, a performance margin and a comfort zone.

This final computer generated hull of the Xcite gives the boat more speed, a tighter carving arc, equalised longitudinal balance and a stable and more progressive edging characteristic

Xcite for Greenland Rolling?
I’ve been eye-balling this one for awhile, but they are not available in Seattle… only Portland.

I would be curious to know how it rolls. Is the back deck low enough to execute hand-rolls and such.

I settled on a used Romany, so I am not looking to buy one at this point. I will however, need a bigger boat for multi-day trips… the Xplore might be a nice option to investigate.

Congrats on your boat. You should post a link to some photos along with your review.

photos
Good idea. I will post some photos. First impression of rear deck height is that it is quite low and for me, at 6’ 2" and 178 lbs. I can lay almost flat. But this is just an impression. I understand that this latest version has a slightly higher rear deck to increase volume for both design and storage reasons over the earlier version. I will get back to you on this.

Cheers

Xplore S and Xcite S…
…sat in both last weekend…did not paddle, as I was there to pick up an entirely different boat…but I nearly brought back the Xcite S as well…have never seen anything as well built as these ever…I was able to easily put the back of my head on both back decks…gorgeous design and impeccable workmanship…show up at Charleston and get 'em while ya can.

P.S…Tideplay…
…saw your black on red too…Count Vlad would be proud.

which dealer did you get one from?

Hardcore

– Last Updated: Apr-09-09 10:06 AM EST –

Congrats Tiderace. I just visited the boat website and it looks like a winner! 17-2, a perfect length! Is Hardcore of fiberglass, Kevlar, or combo material? What do you think of the provided seat and backband, after just the one outing?

Tide Race Dealers
Best of luck with your new boat. These are the only kayaks that have piqued my interest lately. Can’t wait to test paddle one, although I love my Explorers.

East coast dealer is New York Kayak Co., New York, NY. West coast dealer is Alder Creek Kayak, Portland, OR.

Here’s the link for contact info:

http://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/index.php/company/dealers

Replies to posters

– Last Updated: Apr-09-09 3:03 PM EST –

The Hardcore layup is stated as a tougher layup, not an ultralight layup. Thus as Aled states it is only 2 lbs lighter than the fiberglass. The main intention is to provide a stiffer less flexing and more impact resistant boat. I would not have gotten it if it was the usual ultralight version.

Aled's statement follows
HardCore
• Carbon Kevlar and glass (woven and bi-axial) hull with other localised keel reinforcement.
• Glass deck with reinforcement.
• Vinylester resin
• Kevlar seams, inside and out
• Glass bulkheads
• Glass seat

I think the seat and back band are just fine. Sturdy and comfortable without being heavy. As those who know me, however, I always go for a custom minicell foam seat with thigh support and foam foot braces. This is much warmer in winter, more comfortable in summer, and makes it a god student boat. Also, I like a low custom foam butt-brace, rather than a back brace. I feel it promotes stronger back and stomach muscles than a back band. Just my take on things I guess.

Got it from NY Kayak Company. Randy is honest, professional, knowledgeable, and responsive to any needs.

I am 6' 2" 178 lbs with 34" inseam, and can fit butt first and then legs into the keyhole cockpit.

Those smaller should definitely check out the Xcite S that Randy has. It looks very very sleek to me!

Size and Fit

– Last Updated: Apr-10-09 10:05 AM EST –

Kind of funny but we have the exact same body weight and dimensions. All the more reason to give the XCite a tryout.

xcite
I bought the one with a black deck and white hull, classic construction. I’m just waiting for it to be shipped. I tested one of the early plastex demo boats, and I just loved the seating position so much.

I paddle greenland style a good part of the time, I had no problem with any of the layback rolls, balance brace, etc. It seemed to be a really sweet rolling boat.

I can’t wait for it to get here!!:slight_smile:

indeed
Indeed. Aled has definitely been busy refining these designs. I am finding that the xcite is quite well rounded. That is, great play boat but has the capacity for maintaining speed and course for a several day jaunt, along with more volume than one expects from a play boat.

The xplore versions appear to have similar forward paddler positions. Aled is stating he has gone after a bit more speed and efficiency in all these boats while trying to not lose the stability and control trade off. I am interested to see how others like the mix he is offering.

Yes,
just wait …

~wetzool

Here are the pics, folks
Hope Tideplay will approve, but I have to post some pics of the today’s run on Lk. George. The old camera was acting up, so the shots are not the best, but here goes:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/570990257AZWJFW

TP graciously gave me some seat time in the new baby, and I have to say it’s mighty fine. Best fit of any cockpit I can think of - even better than my Explorer. Handled whitecaps and beam winds gusting to 20+ mph with no sweat.

AAM

Design Philosophy
"Aled has definitely been busy refining these designs. I am finding that the xcite is quite well rounded. That is, great play boat but has the capacity for maintaining speed and course for a several day jaunt, along with more volume than one expects from a play boat.

The xplore versions appear to have similar forward paddler positions. Aled is stating he has gone after a bit more speed and efficiency in all these boats while trying to not lose the stability and control trade off. I am interested to see how others like the mix he is offering."

Is Aled working with the same design principles that P&H used in their Cetus? Similar or different?

Looks different than Cetus
I did not paddle the Excite yesterday - but will soon.

The boat is not shaped like a Cetus except for being flattest at the cockpit (both chine and bottom). The hull is very square at the cockpit and more rounded elsewhere.

great looking boat!
I notice that Aled’s Tiderace Xcite and the Rockpool Alaw share a dramatic deck sheer, and fairly long waterline for a boat that still fits the look of a brit boat. The keel rocker seems about typical of other playboats, but the deck itself has a real banana shape. It definitely gives the boats a distinctive look, and beyond that I wonder what are the functional differences with that dramatic sheer.

Maybe it’s a testament to good marketing copy, but after everything I’ve read about those two boats, I’m really wanting to see myself in one of them. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the new boat!

Seat forward

– Last Updated: Apr-12-09 10:24 AM EST –

They may be working with a completely different design concept. Only thing I noticed about it and the Cetus seems to be that they both place the seat forward, Swede form (?), reasonably sharp entry and exit points and a fair amount of rocker running the whole length of the boat. Whether or not that makes them similar or not is well beyond me and my skill sets and or experience level.