Time for a new paddle

IMHO, I like Werner
but then I have never tried an Onno paddle either.

I do have a pricey Aquabound carbon paddle, but I like my Werner fiberglass Shuna much better (which cost less). I also loved my Werner Camano (cost about the same as the Shuna), but stupidly left it in a boat launch area, and when I came back, it was gone.

Go figure.

ness, I like the Shuna also (own two)

– Last Updated: Nov-04-06 8:54 AM EST –

And yanoer likes it also.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yams_and_cams/
ness in action with the shuna.

Sorry about your Camano.

Two schools
I am switching back and forth between this thread and the Greenland Paddle thread. Has anyone here (Werner, ONNO lovers) tried Greenland paddles? Would like to hear your experience.

havent tried a GP, but my wife wanted
one as she has shoulder, wrist issues. Instead, I talked her into an ONNO feather blade paddle. Its almost GP’ish in its design and look (for a euro design paddle). There is also a rumor that Patrick @ ONNO is working on developing a GP type design over the winter. You may want to contact him on it.

As far as cooldoctors comment regarding “fragility” of the ONNO; it can be more fragile, because its built to be an “ultra-light”. However, if you tell Patrick to beef it up, he will, and it will be just as strong with minimal weight sacrifice.

Another comment I’d like to make is regarding paddle flutter. I’ve tried lendals, ONNO & werner paddles and the only one I cant get ANY flutter out of is the ONNO.

Probably 2000+ miles on a Werner…
… San Juan (larger predecessor of the Camano) and loved it. Then I got a Superior Carbon GP (similar bite if used right BTW) and the Werner went on the back deck. Then I got a Storm paddle as a spare and the Werner started collecting dust. Then it was given away with a boat sale (Yes, I sold a used poly SOT for around $600 and gave away a $260 paddle with it)…

I have given all my euros away except a carbon Waterstick Zen I got on eBay for $70. It was Kim’s until she tried GPs and wouldn’t use it anymore. I keep it around to practice rolls with sometimes as its got fairly small blades, is a little buggy, and keeps me honest. Also have a big Aquaterra wood paddle (we got with a boat) that I need to sell.

Beware the GP. If you get a good one, and things click, everything changes. Boats too. Click my profile and look at the photo. My GPs were not really happy until I built that for them, and two more GPs.

If I get more into surf I’ll get a short WW euro, or make something…

The truth
So, GP doesn’t go well with QCC? What’s the problem? Too wide a boat for it?

Think you may have it backward

– Last Updated: Nov-04-06 5:50 PM EST –

GP is fine with QCC 700. I have a lot of miles with that combo - the majority of my GP miles. QCC 700 has a foredeck as low or lower than most Brit boats - and is 21" beam. All things GPs love. Max beam is also aft, not forward of paddler - so narrower for paddle entry - which id nice with all types of paddles.

Skinnier skin boat is just that much better (and I put a lot of what I like about the QCC into mine). IMO GP is good with a range of craft, but really moves into it's full potential when the hull's narrower than you shoulders and your arms overhang water instead of deck. Some of the stroke variations become even more effective when you aren't reaching across/over/around the kayak during the stroke. My shoulders are 23"+ so I have a bit of this in the QCC, and more in the SOF. Nothing to back this up beyond what I notice on water - but it's definitely noticeable.

PS - Most of my Werner San Juan miles were on a WS T160. Good match for that kayak. In the QCC a shorter mid size blade higher angle design would be better for me if I still used euros regularly. GP is good and ANY angle and I find it offers a lot more options to adapt to conditions/fatigue/etc.

Euros feel weird now, but if I were shopping for a touring euro I'd likely look at carbon Epics and Werners first. I do try/demo euros when opportunities present, and have to deal with them if renting while traveling. The result is always the same no matter how good the euro may be: I can't wait to get a good GP back in my hands.

No flutter in Werner
I used the Camano heavily before I lost it, and have used the Shuna even more. I can’t say I ever felt any flutter in either.

I did have a wooden paddle for a brief time (a discontinued model, Walden kayaks made it, I think), which was pretty to look at, but felt waaaay too flutter-y to me. I let someone else use it, and he loved it, so we ended up trading paddles (he traded me a Bending Branches, which I only use as a spare).

In 3 years I have owned…ummm, 7 paddles? I still have 4 of them.

Love my Pacific Designs paddles
I don’t have a ton of experience with paddles, but I really like my Pacific Design paddles. Steve made mine to order (extra length to get over my wide (34" beam) Advanced Elements convertible IK, and made them four part paddles for me), and at an extremely reasonable price. I think I paid about $130 for a really light paddle (the standard T-1 paddle weighs 29 oz and costs $115). Steve was extremely helpful, and his paddles are a pleasure to use. I can paddle for extended periods of time with very little fatigue and absolutely no joint pains.

I like them much better than the Werners and Carlisle’s I’ve used.

I have to say, those ONNOs that most everyone else is suggesting sure look nice too, though.