Time for a new paddle...

yea
Not trying to pick on anyone or anything. Just pointing out that sometimes, no matter what you WANT, you do really have to stick to a budget.

Because I really WANTED a Pygmy arctic Tern. But that was about $500+ over my limit, not to mention time and space.

I could easily go spend $300 on a paddle. I have the money. But I want a house in about 2 years when my girlfriend finishes her masters, and guess what is more important than a nice $300 paddle? :slight_smile:

Aqua-Bound Sting Ray!
Want the best paddle for your dollar…

http://www.rei.com/product/750880/aqua-bound-sting-ray-carbon-shaft-paddle

Has a ferrule system that lets you adjust every 15 degrees (unlike what that one guy said) and is so crazy light you’ll never get tired. Not to mention it is hundreds less than Werner.

I have been using Aqua-Bound for yeasrs and they have never done me wrong…try it out!

Probably won’t be your last paddle anywa
Good on you for sticking to budget.

Besides, if you don’t paddle all that much, spending a lot on a “dream” paddle is sort of pointless when you don’t have a solid idea of what that “dream” is.

huh?
How is that $140 aqua bound hundreds less than the $97.49 I paid for the Werner?

It’s all relative
You’ll very likely be happy with your choice, and wonder what all the hoopla was about.

However, there are a lot of very experienced paddlers in here that have learned the hard way that going all out on a better paddle than you think you need often does pay dividends. Lighter means you can swing it longer with less fatigue, all other things equal. A blade shape that fits your personal paddling preferences and technique will increase both speed and endurance. And then you get into overall length, blade type, etc etc etc…Someone such as yourself who is a happy rec paddler may not care about such details, but once you get “the” paddle for you, it saves you money by not being replaced every season or so because it doesn’t do it for you. I think that’s all anyone really intended to say to you - be sure you get “the one” for you. And you may well have already done that.

Budgets I understand. But a really great paddle doesn’t necessarily have to cost a lot of $$$. I make my own Greenland paddles, and one of the best ones I ever built (And still use a lot 12 years later) cost me $15 at the lumberyard in materials, and a few evenings of my time to carve and finish. Consequently, we have a sizeable collection of GP’s for the price of one high end composite stick, and I enjoy making them almost as much as I enjoy using them. Just a thought for future consideration if you like making things.

Anyway, here’s hoping your new paddle is the one you really want!

That’s Why!
You have a Skagit, a middle-of-the-road paddle. It is has a fiberglass shaft (34oz) and a real value at $97.49 (retail of $130).

My comparision for the person asking the question was a higher-end paddle like the Aqua-Bound Sting Ray Carbon TLC paddle ($140 retail - 27.75oz) which would be compared to a Werner Skagit Carbon ($180 - 27.25oz) or Werner Camano ($265 - 27.25oz).

Also, the TLC ferrule is much better quality in my opinion…just my thoughts…

So, when you do the math…Aqua-Bound is a great value!

Midwest
Maybe you should get some prices straight and stop comparing apples to oranges. The Stingray Carbon goes for $180, not $140. The carbon SHAFT stingray (the Hybrid) is priced at $140 and weighs 31 ounces or so. The fiberglass shaft stingray weighs around 33 ounces and goes for $110, very similar to the Werner Skagit that the OP purchased. I know this as we own three Stingrays and are very happy with them for their purpose.

I think he made a good choice and will be as happy as a clam when he gets to try it out. Especially considering what he had been using.

What’s the point of trying to make him feel bad about his purchase?

Never could stand the Stingray
Heavy, sort of shapeless. A tank. A few weeks ago a friend forgot her paddle and had to use my spare Stingray. She was ready to kill me by the end of the day for not giving her my spare Camano. Sorry, don’t mean to make you feel bad about your purchase . . .

Waterbird
Your worthless opinion doesn’t make me feel bad at all.

well
Considering the paddle I use now weighs about 46oz, and the Skagit I have coming weighs about 34oz, Its going to feel super light to me. Also the dihedral should reduce fluttering and allow me a lighter grip, enhancing my overall kayaking experience.

I have read far too many problems with stingray ferrules sticking. Oh, and the Werner is made here in the USA. :slight_smile:

good pick

Relax Killer…

– Last Updated: Jul-06-11 10:16 AM EST –

Obviously “gnatcatcher” and “nymtber” are a little bitter on these message board. I was not attacking either one of you, only trying to help out the person asking the original question, and you both took it personal.

Not everyone is attacking you, simply trying to relay experiences to other people.

We’re all just paddlers.

Paddle arrived!

– Last Updated: Jul-06-11 1:30 PM EST –

The Skagit got here today, a short 1 day trip from REI's PA warehouse, via the big brown truck :) It even has their $130 price tag on it. I am glad I jumped on the $97.49 deal!

I really like the ferrule design, very rigid and locks right in place. I like that I have a nice smooth shaft that feels almost like a one piece, but can break down for me to store (will keep this paddle in my room and out of the fluctuating temps the shed faces)

The paddle feels light in hand, and is definitely longer, which will actually allow a true low angle paddling experience for me. Seems to be good and stiff, which is a big improvement (just in initial feel) than my cheap paddle I have been using.

It should see some action from the stern of our Tandem this weekend, I can't wait to try it out!

did you
Get that paddle cheap because it was a weird size. Cause stern of tandem often needs a longer paddle.

Ryan L.

Man you could have had an Onno …
Hey who is the dirtball that deleted my post?

Price…
No, REI had them on sale for $97.49. I got 230cm because I have felt that my previous paddle (220cm) was just a bit short even for my solo kayak. For my height and boat width, seems it comes down to personal preference between 220 and 230 for low angle.

Sorry, Midwest
I didn’t mean to come across as bitter, and I’m sorry if it sounded that way. I was merely trying to point out that the 27 ounce stingray is at a much higher price point than what you mentioned, so it’s not a fair comparison.

I’m sure the OP will be extremely happy with his new paddle, even if it isn’t the lightest or bestest, as it’s much better than what he had been using. A very good value.

Good paddlin’,

gnatcatcher

Good Point
Gnatcatcher, you were correct on your point about weight BTW. Nice catch…

Aqua-Bound and Werner in my opionion are the best paddles in the whole paddle market! Agreed?

Used the Skagit this weekend…
Well, my Girlfriend and I went camping this weekend to Cayuga Lake State park. I of course took the new Skagit paddle to try out.

I must say, its a far smoother easier to use paddle. It glides through the water almost effortlessly, and is very comfortable in hand. I can keep a nice loose grip on this paddle, unlike my old one that required a tighter grip.

I will hopefully get out sometime this week on my solo kayak and give it a real test (short rec tandem is not a good way to test a paddle…) I don’t expect any different opinions, to be honest.

I could see where less weight COULD be helpful, but only in 4 hour plus paddling trips. We were out for a good 3 hours straight and I had no issues with the weight at all.

I will be recomending this paddle to anyone who is looking for what I was: Lighter, no flutter, quality paddle for rec/touring use.

Maybe someday I will purchase myself that Camano. Someday when I have $260 burning a hole in my pocket or I find a killer deal on one. Until then, I am 100% satisfied!