Time for me to get a sit on top?

NO scuppers? Bring a pump, and expect the contents of the rear well to be underwater. The hull shape is beautiful and it seems to glide very nicely, although it clearly doesn’t track well in the video. Needs scuppers and a skeg, IMO.

Mine has never been used in rough water but it sits fairly high and I haven’t noticed any water in the tank well, but a scupper would be nice. I’ve never had a wet butt in it and I weigh 230.
I see no reason for a skeg. I’ve had 2 neophytes paddle it with no directional problems.
It is slow compared to my Pungo.

In 2005 at age 54 I did some research and bought a new Hurricane Aquasports Phoenix 140. I like to fish and occasionally clam, and the advantages of a SOT were quite obvious. I launch from open beaches or a boat ramp, no docks. the 14" Phoenix weighed in at under 60 lbs. Two years ago it was time to replace it. Lydia at Hurricane, perhaps the best customer service manager in existence, convinced me their Skimmer 128 would suffice I am 5’8", 160lbs pre china virus, and the skimmer with integral seat comes in at under 50 lbs. I put it up on a TrakRak on my pickup when I travel to the launch site, a mile or so away. the Skimmer 128 is about $1100, cheaper than any kevlar and about 20% more than the barges Dicks sells of the same length.

1 Like

I’m kind of in the same spot right now. Two SOTs I’m considering are the Swell (talk about good design! Check out their YouTube design video.) and the Eddyline Carribean. The Swell is heavy, the Carribean is thermoplastic so much lighter. Haven’t been able to test paddle yet. This

Swift pav boat

My favorite SOTs were the Current Designs Kestrel 140 SOT. There were two versions both very light. The first had a lower center of gravity but had the molded in footrests which was my only gripe, I’ve seen a wooded brace installed across the braces which made footing much more comfortable. The second version had adjustable footrests but the cockpit was raised and the CG was raised.
Both boats are very light composites and can be found on the used market.
I prefer the gen1 for paddling qualities. These were not dedicated fishing boats but more suited for touring.

1 Like

The RTM Disco is a lively little plastic SOT. It doesn’t rely on secondary stability (or a lot of practice) to be able to go slow. Might be worth a look.

1 Like

SIT inflatable kayaks are super light. Waaaay lighter than even a carbon or kevlar folder or ultralight canoe or kayak.

I have the kokopelli twain 13lbs and kokopelli rogue light 4lbs and the intex excusion pro 30lbs and all of them are very comfy, track well, are portable and easy to use

2nd the recommendation on the RTM Disco. A friend has owned many high end sea kayaks and a couple of skis uses hers for laid back paddling. She is slender and tall but I’m just barely smart enough not to ask her weight.
I would own one but I’m too tall and heavy.

You may not find it all that elegant, but I sure love my Wilderness Systems Tarpon. It’s any but “floating Tupperware”. It’s heavy duty, manufactured in the US with lot’s of thoughtful convenient features such as 2 front storage cup holder, hatches and plenty of rear bungee storage. The seat is like a more comfortable lawn chair. It cuts through the water and tracks well and weighs in at about 55lbs. Just because they’re plastic doesn’t make them crap. Some of them are great performers that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

$=:muscle:& :leg:

Oh, hey, thanks. I don’t mean to generalize or offend! The Tarpon is a classic boat. Part of the issue for me is weight - if it’s heavy, I won’t use it as much. My kayak doesn’t weigh much more than that, and it pains me to sell it…

Tarpon’s own weight figures give 55# for the Tarpon 105. The Tarpon 140 is given at 68#.

1 Like

And my 160 weighs every pound of 85 , and that’s before the paddle. I love the boat, but it’s beginning to be too much to handle. I’ve been paddling my Pungo 140. Much lighter and faster.

I have the Tarpon 100 which weighs 55lbs.

Perhaps going to a high quality inflatable might be a nice option for you. I dearly love my ADVANCED ELEMENTS Ultra frame Ultralite weighing a mere 17lbs.

No offense taken. I hope you find the kayak of your dreams. The sit on tops can be pretty heavy. My husband always helps me load the Tarpon on it’s racks. When he’s unavailable, I take my Eddyline or a inflatable. I’m not sure if getting into a inflatable would be easier, But Advanced Elements has the Expedition Elite which you can unzip the cockpit to make it bigger. It weighs in at 44lbs.

I guess my first suggestion for you is to pay attention to seats when you are looking at sit-on-tops. Although I have yet to get water time on it, the FeelFree Lure series has a fantastic seat, and from what I have seen it they are stable enough to paddle comfortable with the seat in the higher position (10 inches up). When I was doing my kayak research I found plenty with comfortable seats that raise but I would recommend going out and sitting in one if you can, because everyones needs/likes are different.

good luck in finding a nice sit-on-top!

oh and as far as the weight and moving you could also look into wheel carts and load assists

Another option for us older sorts (I just turned 70) that a lot of folks don’t think to consider are skin on frame folding kayaks. I’ve been paddling them since 2002 and have owned 7 so far. Once you get the boat set up, you can leave it that way all season (if you don’t paddle in salt water) so just because it dismantles doesn’t mean you have to do so if you have room to store it, which you clearly must since you own a hardshell.

Take a look at Pakboats Quest 150. It’s a 15’ kayak that can be paddle open like a sit on top or have the optional deck added. I’ve paddled the smaller (13’ 6") Quest 135 for 3 years and it is very close in performance to my hardshell 15’ sea kayak. Plus it only weighs 27 pounds! Having a kayak you can toss on the car roof with one hand is very liberating! Set up takes me about 30 leisurely minutes on a picnic table but I usually leave it set up all summer unless I break it down for traveling inside the car in its duffel bag. These are very nicely designed and constructed, not novelty boats (like the Oru) or the raft-like inflatables. More similar to the original native skin on frame kayaks and a style that has been popular in Europe for nearly 100 years.

The seats are extremely comfortable, another plus. And the company has great customer service. I know the Quest 150’s are in stock now and, of course, they can be shipped anywhere. I’ve taken my slightly smaller Pakboat Puffin as checked baggage on vacation oveseas.