Time for me to get a sit on top?

And here is a video of a guy paddling the Quest 150 (he’s using the deck but performance would be the same):

One I really liked was the Aquaterra Prism. Sadly, no longer made. In the past few years, I have added inflatables. Love the portability and Paris The Parson Russell Terrier loves chilling out in them. Something to consider

1 Like

Hi all!

Thank you for all of the really tremendous advice…

I wound up getting a Stellar S18S surf ski. Am on a lake in Vermont this week currently falling out of it! Great performance, so far still tippy for me, but I expect to get better at it.

I sold my very beloved Valley kayak to a wonderful guy who seems to appreciate it, but this is has been a good trade-off for me. I really can’t thank you all enough for giving me such good options. I’m happy.

My wife has agreed to let me sell her high volume Necky for a tandem canoe, but I think I’ll be trying to steer her into a Hurricane Skimmer tandem. The plan is working out pretty well for me…

Thanks again. Learned a lot, and re-acquainted with this site…

Stuart

Oh man, I love those folding boats. My first kayak was a Klepper Aerius 2. Perfect for a NYC apartment. Used it for 20 years. So stable, and literally works of art. I sold it for $3K - nowadays, you can get them for under a grand.

Anyway, I’m a big fan. Would still love to have one.

They pop up for sale regularly on the foldingkayaks.org forums. There have been some vintage Folbot tandems turn up recently for under $600. Pakboats makes a couple of tandem folders, including their convertible XT-17 and Puffin Saranac that can both be set up as a solo or double. They are a bit lighter than the equivalent length Kleppers, using modern materials like anodized aluminum frames and coated synthetic fabrics.

S18S is a great boat with beautiful lines.

Hi folks,

Since I got such tremendous advice from my original post, I thought I would follow-up with the end results. I previously mentioned that I purchased a sweet Stellar S18S surf ski - totally cool.

I also sold my wife’s Necky Chatham 17 kayak (she wasn’t using it at all), and just came home with a nice old Wenonah Jensen USCA Marathon tandem canoe. We haven’t had a canoe for a long time after discovering kayaks (and then paddle boards) and felt it was something we could do together. And yikes - 32 pounds. So, I have a lot of nice options now to be on the water.

Wanted to thank this forum for having me think in some different ways. Some great advice here…

3 Likes

Thanks for following up!