Time to upgrade the paddle

I have been checking out Aquabound paddles. Reviews are great. I have a Day Tripper now and I think it is time for a new one. The Day Tripper is the ONLY paddle I have ever used, I don’t see myself needing a $300 carbon paddle though. Any suggestions for a good comfortable paddle at around $100-$120 (or less).

Aquabound paddles
are good, durable paddles at a reasonable price. I no longer use one as my main euro style blade, but still own three. My latest purchase was an AB Sting Ray to use as a backup and primary for winter paddling (it’s a small shaft that will, hopefully, be more comfortable with winter gloves).

~wetzool

Are you sure it is an Aquabound?
They do have a “tripper”, made in Canada, which retails at about $155 Canadian. Otherwise there is only the Carlisle “day tripper” or the Jackson “day tripper”. If it is the Aquabound, why do you think you need to change paddles? What advantage do you hope to gain? Ordinarily someone might want a lighter paddle, or one that is adjustable (feather and/or length), or that has a bent shaft rather than a straight shaft. But the price range you suggest is actually lower than the cost of an Aquabound “tripper”.

It is a Carlisle…
Sorry. I should have worded that differently. I have the Day Tripper by Carlisle. A $30 paddle. I thought I might be happier with a lighter paddle. Maybe fiberglass blades as opposed to the plastic now. With my budget I will most likely have to stick with an aluminum shaft though.

Used

– Last Updated: Oct-31-07 11:29 PM EST –

There's 3 or 4 nice-sounding paddles for sale on the p-net classifieds at the moment. Maybe one is the right length/weight/price for your budget. A light paddle is a real treat. Of course you could always try making a cedar Greenland paddle, costs very little. My light weight carbon paddle is now a backup (or my wife's if she's paddling) now that I have a sweet GP to use. My brain is getting so rewired to the GP that I've considered drilling a hole and de-feathering my carbon paddle - beware the lure of the GP!

PS - one of the used paddles is an Aquabound, but down at the bottom is a Lendal for a little more - I think that's a very sweet stick for a good price.

Pacific Designs under accessories
on pnet offers an interesting design. i used a similar design approach to build a cedar and plywood facsimile that weighs about 28 oz and paddles very sweet(ly)

PhilS
You will not regret getting an Aquabound Sting Ray. If you are going to paddle regularly, this is about as cheap as you want to go. Another option would be the Werner Skagit, about the same level of paddle, also very good.

Pacific Design Paddles
Does anyone have experence with these paddles? Please let me know. I’m looking to purchase a new spare or maybe a new main paddle.

try a greenland
since using a greenland paddle, i only used the lightweight carbon paddle for fast workouts - the greenland performed better for me in just about any other situation. they are a bit weird at first, but after an hour or two they feel terrific, and you can paddle all day comfortably. i’ve since switched to wing paddles/surfskis, but for sea kayaking, the greenland is tops.

Greenland paddles
I didn’t like the idea of a tree limb as a paddle at first, but everything I have read on them since this post is positive! I would love to make one but 1) I have never built anything 2) I don’t have a band saw in the garage

What is the best place to buy one. Remember, I live in N Alabama where the kayak shops are limited. What is the price range for an entry level GP?

Don’t need a band saw
You can do it with a jig saw and other hand tools, just need a steady hand. Here’s some nice instructions by Ross Leidy at Blue Heron Kayaks to make a GP, which incorporate the excellent writeup by Chuck Holst. It’s easiest to make the paddle out of a single piece of Western Red Cedar - you don’t have to glue up laminations to make it fancy like many do.

Bill Will Build You a Beautiful One
for $175

http://www.lumpypaddles.com/