Tips for speed?

I find when paddling into a small chop it seems faster than when I turn and go with the wind. Even though the GPS says different. Not sure any kayak can get on plane from paddling. Not sure what on plane means except in a power boat.

All I’m saying is try sprinting sometime in a little chop.

@magooch said:
All I’m saying is try sprinting sometime in a little chop.

I do I love it.

And then there’s the universal tip for speed… don’t be very fat. Muscle makes you go fast. Fat just weighs you down.

But it floats.

@Rex said:
And then there’s the universal tip for speed… don’t be very fat. Muscle makes you go fast. Fat just weighs you down.

Excellant

Speed is somewhat relative. I try to kayak with slower people, which really helps. But they are getting harder and harder to find.

@rsevenic said:
Speed is somewhat relative. I try to kayak with slower people, which really helps. But they are getting harder and harder to find.

No shortage here.

I’ve volunteered to take the beginners out in my meet-up group out. I can keep up with them until I teach them the basics . Several paddle Pelicans so I’ll have company for awhile.

on christmas eve I managed 2.1 mph (rock springs river near orlando). I was solo in a rental canoe yet still passing some folks. Sad thing is my walking pace is down to 2 mph as well. 7 and 1/2 weeks into my new hip and I’m just glad I got out before returning to the cold of WV. Just like String I hang with the beginners, until they take off and leave me in their wake.

Get well soon tdaniel

@tdaniel said:
on christmas eve I managed 2.1 mph (rock springs river near orlando).

Hi Tony, hope that hip is doing better each day. I paddled Rock springs run a number of times back in the early and mid 70s. Not many people on it back then. In fact i never saw another paddler on it though I know some must have paddled there.

@tdaniel

With a bit of time, am betting you’ll be walking and paddling at 4+ mph. Heal well and keep at that PT.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is your training routine. Try paddling hard every day for a week, then take 2 days off, and then go out and set a new personal record. I used to go for long upstream paddles every day and when I eventually missed a day I felt like I could pull a water skier the next day.

@TomL said:
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is your training routine. Try paddling hard every day for a week, then take 2 days off, and then go out and set a new personal record. I used to go for long upstream paddles every day and when I eventually missed a day I felt like I could pull a water skier the next day.

Guess it’s like weight training don’t you skip a day?

Yes, I’ve been doing a little weight training with light free weights following a book (Top Shape) recommended by my doctor in Ann Arbor years ago and my favorite part is the requirement to skip a day. I love the idea of making progress by doing nothing! I remember telling my wife many times that I felt extra strong paddling after a day or two off.

And if kayaks are anything like canoes it seems challenging to maintain perfect technique while you are also pushing as hard as you can…my top speed runs are not pretty.

:slight_smile:

I would strongly recommend not pushing as hard as you can–especially for people who are over a certain age. What that age is, differs with each person, but prudent moderation will net the best results in the long run.

Yep. Maximum heart rate (MHR) for cardio is supposed to be 220 minus your age, and then one is supposed to target 55-85% of your MHR during cardio exercise. It took me over an hour to burn 400 calories at the Y this morning, most likely because I am over that certain age.

@TomL said:
Yep. Maximum heart rate (MHR) for cardio is supposed to be 220 minus your age, and then one is supposed to target 55-85% of your MHR during cardio exercise. It took me over an hour to burn 400 calories at the Y this morning, most likely because I am over that certain age.

The 220 number to calculate MHR is aimed at men. Formula has been updated to include women and make some corrections: https://www.verywell.com/karvonen-formula-1229753

There’s a nifty app, Cardiio, for measuring your resting heart rate. https://www.cardiio.com/ Just have to remember to use it when you wake up in the morning so you can get a four or five day average.

I took December off, other than just maintenance rotator cuff exercises and weight training. Three months to go before the paddling season starts (hope the ice is melted by then) so it’s time to rev up the erg. Speed requires cardio endurance.

@TomL said:

And if kayaks are anything like canoes it seems challenging to maintain perfect technique while you are also pushing as hard as you can…my top speed runs are not pretty.

:slight_smile:
Then you’ll likely do better if you back off a little to insure proper technique. Same as sail boat racing. Smooth moves and good looks wins the race. Errors and wasted movements loose the race and lowers endurance.