To buy or not to buy???

-- Last Updated: Jun-24-14 2:32 AM EST --

Okay my first canoe buying experience was horrid the guy sold it out from underneath me after i was driving 2 hours to buy it!!!

So moving on from that I continued my search.
I came across an 16ft Allagash Old Town Canoe for sale for 440 with paddles and car foams.

His ad states.

TIME TO GET OUT ON THE WATER!
Old Town Allagash 164 Canoe
Beefy 3 layer poly model - nearly indestructible
Length 16.4 - Width 37.5 - Max load 1000LBs of camp gear
Yoke with shoulder support
Two wooden/woven drop seats
Condition: Good
Comes with roof rack pads + 2 wooden paddles
Total package NEW is worth over $1100
Firm price - no trades
Thanks for looking!

I tried to do some research on that model of old town but couldn't come across much of anything, so i guess i am asking is it a good canoe and is it worth 440 used?

He will not come down on his price any i tried talking with him about it but no go on price budge.

any advice/opinions welcomed.

thanks again guys.

JP

Here’s a start
"I tried to do some research on that model of old town but couldn’t come across much of anything…"

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1055

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=628053

That maximum load is silly, but you’ll
never need to carry such a load.

I think that, for a starter canoe, it’s a good buy for the price. I’ve bought more canoe for the same money, but I was informed by dumb luck.

Same as Discovery and Penobscot 164

– Last Updated: Jun-24-14 8:19 AM EST –

Old Town has a habit of giving the same canoe a different name every so often. The canoe that was originally (I believe) called the Discovery 164, became the Allagash 164 for a while, and is now the Penobscot 164. You can see the specs here:

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/expedition/penobscot_164/

It is a tough, serviceable canoe and not a bad hull design, overall. This is a so-called triple dump polyethylene rotomolded canoe in which two outer layers of solid polyethylene sandwich a foam core of polyethylene.

The main drawbacks to this type of construction is weight, some tendency for the hull to deform over time, and the fact that polyethylene is difficult to repair should the need arise.

Old Town claims a weight of 75 lbs for this boat, but don't be surprised if it weighs more like 80 lbs. As long as you can lift and carry it as much as you need to, it is probably not too bad a deal.

164 Discovery
This is the rotomolded 3 layer polyethylene version of the 17’Penobscot. An inexpensive, somewhat heavy, durable canoe. For specs look up the 164 Discovery which is its original name. It is a nice paddling canoe, just heavy. Classic case of your back vs your wallet. Light = expensive, Heavy = affordable.

Bill

Canoe

– Last Updated: Jun-25-14 7:11 AM EST –

I used to have an OT Discovery 164. The boat was heavy but awesome… I even paddled it solo. I did have to sell it because after I lost 115 lbs. I couldn't lift it onto my car anymore. All in all a great boat IMO… I paid $400 for with paddles so I think it is a great deal…

Not for me.

– Last Updated: Jun-24-14 11:35 PM EST –

Depending where you live, (or how far you're willing to drive,) you can probably find a nice Royalex canoe for $400 or less. For a similar spec canoe, you'd have a 60 lb. boat instead of one that is 75 or 80.

Maybe

– Last Updated: Jun-25-14 7:45 AM EST –

I'm committed to stronger, lighter, faster, and the boat in question only meets one of those criteria. That said, it's probably a decent first tandem canoe. If the sport speaks to you there will be others, so go ahead, get it and get in water.

That said, get some decent paddles that fit you, say

For most of us our introduction
was Thunderbird. Later we became more discerning. We were taught well by our introduction.

seems like I saw that ad in my local CL
it’s gone now. Did you get it?

So often folks seek advice on the board about a particular boat. I’m always curious of the outcome, but seldom do we hear the end of the story.

Sounds good to me
Go for it. My first was one of those polyethylene canoes from Walmart. Used that thing for years. finaly gave it to my nephew. I dont think you will regret it.

hey
What about MD 20/20?

this is the BAD time tyo buy.
Kayaks, canoes and motorcycles should be bought in the late fall and sold in the Spring.

This time of the year, people are begginjf for a boat so the price of even the cheapest kayak or canoe will jump up!

It’s a good time to buy if …
… you won’t get on the water this summer otherwise. Anyway, we are talking about a very cheap boat here to start with, so the possibility of saving 50 or 80 bucks at the cost of losing a season on the water seems like misplaced values.

I think you’re right about that
I watch the used prices here and elsewhere and they do seem to have creeped up.

GBG is also right though…