To Hobie or not to Hobie?

I have fished for all my life but in lakes, I'm moving to Okinawa and looking at getting a kayak for fishing. The Hobies impress the hell out of me but so do a lot of other brands. I'm looking for minimum 12' I'm just not sure with ocean waves and currents if just a paddle is going to be enough especially if I have a fish on.

Hoping some of y'all can give me some advice on a first kayak. The price of a Hobie isn't driving me away it is just that I like to have what I need as a minimum but also adhere to the better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it mentality.

Thanks

Keep it simple
Hobie makes traditional SOT kayaks that don’t have peddles too, my first kayak was a tandem Hobie and it was a great SOT but not the best boat in surf. I’m assuming you are asking about peddle powered Hobie boats. I’ve tried them, they are a bit impressive, but not what I would choose for paddling on open coasts in the ocean. Get a traditional kayak and learn to brace and keep the kayak upright, if SOT get thigh straps and learn to control the boat in heavy surf. I have watched numerous Hobie peddle boats eat it trying to make surf landing here in Lajolla. Also if you want to paddle over shallow reefs, not the boat for the job.

2 Thumbs Up
If the price is not an object - get the Hobie.

They are very well made boats and are designed for what you want to do.

The pedal drive system is simple and very efficient for covering distance. If you are in very shallow just remove it or set the fins against the bottom and paddle.

The new boats have better seats than the older models.

Splurge if you can for the Adventure Island. Look at Youtube to see people catching everything imaginable from one and you too will be hooked!

You can fish hands free and troll by sail or pedal.

Enough said. Yes to the Hobie.

Hobie
You may want to consider also the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel. It is another “foot drive” system but significantly different than the Hobie design. Rather than a stair stepper pedal action and fins for propulsion (as per Hobie), the Slayer has a bicycle pedaling action that actually drives a propeller to move the boat. The Hobie, due to it’s design, has no backup or even stopping capabilities (without resorting to a paddle), but with the Slayer you can do both with the pedals. Most of those who have tried both prefer the Slayer- less fatiguing to pedal and fewer overall problems in addition to the propulsion difference. Check out their website. Best wishes for your eventual purchase, whatever it is.

Wish I had the money
I would test a Hobie and a Native Propel and buy whichever was best for me. I’m a big tall guy, so I actually like the capacity of some of the fishing kayaks. I used to have a Gannet II, that I would paddle solo. I’ve done tons of recumbent cycling, so a pedal boat makes tons of sense to me, especially for photography and fishing (two things I would use it for.)

From what I have seen, Propel is usually decent, but you will want to pull apart the drive system and check out and regrease everything. The reverse is a nice thing to have if you are fighting something and getting pulled where you don’t want.

The Hobie mirage seems to be a little less maintenance. They seem to have a little better low end torque, but max speed is about the same.

I haven’t paddled for almost a decade and am looking at grabbing a decent used canoe. I’m moving down near the Ohio River, so I can get to water in a couple miles again. Just want to get out on the water again.

Hobie
I have 13 quest no sure on fishing part but they are excellent high quality kayaks