Tobermory to Owen Sound on the Bruce

Hi Folks,

I’m looking forward to a week-long kayaking trip on the east side of the Bruce Penisula from Tobermory, ON to Owen Sound, ON (or vice versa).

Any one on p-net with information on campsites along this route? It looks like alot of Park land and private land, and I’m not finding much internet information on-water campsites.

Thanks for your attention and safe paddling,

Lee

Tobermory area
There are several campsites (on platforms) on Flowerpot Island when I was there a few years ago. However, you should know that Beachy Cove isn’t a beach - it’s all rocks.

Thank you
Thanks Farfetch,

I’ve discovered a trip report on the Thorncrest Outfitters website. They list this specific trip with the campsites for each leg.

Not much wilderness/backcountry camping allowed in this area. You have to hope for the park campsites or use private campgrounds, due to alot of park and/or private land in the area.

Paddle safely,

Lee

McKay’s Harbour - Bruce Penninsula
One free camping site along the Bruce Penninsula is McKay’s Harbour which is just south of the town of Lion’s Head. It’s been a few years since we camped there on an overnight hike. I think it was about 2 hours to hike from the campsite on the water into the town of Lions Head carry packs. I’m guessing that the paddling time would be similar. There are a few pictures of the area (not from my trip) at this link: http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~fingas/photos/pbt-july-2003/index.html

Rob

www.loonislandoutdoors.com

Thanks
Cool photos, you get a real sense of the coast from your photos. The Reeds Dump photo is really helpful.

emanoh

Thanks Rob
I second emantol - thanks for the info. Great pictures too!

Leebro

Bruce Peninsula Trip Report
Perhaps you would find this cautionary tale of the trip my paddling partner and I had in this area last summer useful: “GEORGIAN BAY TRIP REPORT: BRUCE PENINSULA AND FATHOM FIVE NATIONAL PARKS”

http://caskaorg.typepad.com/caska/2008/08/georgian-bay-tr.html

Good info
Thanks Tom,

For the good information and analysis of the risks. The links are very helpful too.

Thanks for sharing!

Lee