Too tall?

I have seen several posts about kayaks not being friendly to tall people. Is there a kayak in existance that would be comfortable for a paddler that is 6’4" without having to get a SOT?

Yes
There are some - otherwise Wayne Horodowich would have had to do something other than paddle for a living.

Questions though - would you be just starting out at the sport, where would you be paddling, and are you on the heavy or lean side?

No problem

– Last Updated: Feb-06-08 5:12 PM EST –

Paddle any boat you want. 6'4" is not oversized and is no restriction in any way for any boat. You do have to consider leg length. In the past Valley boats had a short position on bulkheads and some had to have them moved. It was "short sighted" on their part and dumb. I'm almost 6'2" and I have taller friends and they paddle anything they want. So, don't give it a second thought other than the bulkhead placement and I believe everyone now has accommodated tall people. You may have to move foot peg rails forward??

Short people can roll a little easier since they are leveraging up less distance but tall people are good too. I think that's where that stupid rumor is from.

yes
most kayaks are bigger than needed, lots of choices. If you’re 6’8" and 175lbs you might have problems.

mariner kayaks are good for big guys.

Depends on what you want to paddle.
I’m a little over 6’2", and have not had a problem, but I paddle recs, not sea or ww. I’ve looked at some narrower, touring models, and the only real problem for me is getting in and out through a keyhole cockpit opening. Since I’m really only interested in recreational, I’m good with my Stingray 14, with a 50" long cockpit opening. It’s more than large enough. Too big really, but then, I like the open design . . . .

6’6", 219 lbs, size 14’s
The 219 is a personal record. I hit the egg nog hard over the holidays.

I paddle a Current Designs Solstice GTXL HV and it is too big for me. It will surely fit you.

The people at CD are great. Give 'em a call and they’ll point you to a dealer.

D

Define comfortable
I’m 6-4 225, Size 12’s, and I paddle Seaward Quest. But it has taken me a fair bit of paddling to get comfortable in it, in terms of tippyness. Now in terms of entering and exiting, its tight. And I can’t lift my knees when paddling, so all day paddles are out.

As a taller paddler, your CG will be higher, as such, a boat will feel tippier than if you were closer to average, 5-10. But we can paddle narrow boats, but my experience is it will take longer to get used to them.

In addition to the CD Kestral listed above, SEDA makes the Viking Max, which I demoed. It was the boat I wanted. If I had to buy a new boat, it would be the one. I just got an insane smoking deal on the Quest in Kevlar that I couldn’t pass up. And I still like the Viking better, I’m just more comfortable in it. But such is life.

Don

Height not a problem…
…I paddle an Anas Acuta and BBK Aral - both what I consider to be medium volume boats and both have ocean cockpits and I am 6’ 2.5" tall and 185lbs. Agree with earlier posts though regarding tippiness feeling when tall and carrying weight high as I do - and if your feet are more than size 11 then that will impact you more than anything else. I learned to paddle my Black Pearl (19" wide) first, then suddenly the 20.5" wide boats weren’t so bad. Its all about getting used to it slowly for me.

Scott

Current Design Sirocco
6’5" 235 lbs. with an inseam of 36". I fit well but if I had the inseam of 36.5" I’d be in trouble. Also, I wear a size 12 NRS boot and they fit well also. In my Necky Zoar Sport I had room to grow in every direction: feet, ass, legs, gut etc etc