Totally new

If you get to the Symposium this weekend
talk to Jen or Jake from Aqua-Adventures. They have both new and used boats and will not sell you something you don’t need.

Jen would rather lose a sale then sell something just to sell it. She’s also one of the best instructors in the country. The classes at the symposium are well worth the money too.

You’ll really enjoy it if you can make it.

Head to San Diego…
…Bring the in laws to the show. They’ll enjoy it too. :wink:

One of the best investments I ever made was my Werner carbon fiber Kalliste paddle. It cost as much as my first kayak but it made paddling so much more enjoyable!

DO NOT Listen to Scupper Pro Frank!

– Last Updated: Mar-27-09 8:53 AM EST –

Or Greyhawk, or the worst one of all Greyak!

Oh sure they appear to be genuinely interested in getting you started out right but before you know it you are so deep into it that there is no escape. Kinda like the Eagles Hotel California.

You will be tooling along in your nice little rec boat like say a 9 ft Old Town Rush and then BAM, three months later you will be in a full blown wilderness systems tempest 170 and looking for better and better gear. And all the time they are there to "support" you. It is insidious!
Then comes the greenland thing with Greyak as he introduces the virus in the Greenland paddle and you start wandering around in a Walrus suit, building skin on frame kayaks and rolling six ways from Sunday.
Greyhawk introduces you to wooden boats and you gotta have one and start working on a Night Heron strip with your friend. And you end up buying one of his!
Oh and did I mention the BCU? Delmarva? RAYSTOWN???

Ask me how I know all this....

I don't know why I bother. You are doomed.

Paul

Edit:

– Last Updated: Mar-27-09 10:32 AM EST –

I wasn't trying to push a rec boat. Just trying to give an overview. In your post you weren't really clear on your intentions. They were between a real kayak with dry storage for camping, and then you said you didn't plan on using it that often and didn't want to spend more than $500.

But just to clarify a few points that I made so as not to be misleading. The 12 mile trip I went on with some rec boats, the tide was going with us about 2 mph, so that increased their range. I would guess a rec boat is good for short distance, and even then I haven't paddled one, so have no idea how much stress it puts on one's joints. But I would say under 5 miles.

YOu will not probably find many paddle groups with rec boats. Around here we have zillions of paddlers of all kinds and they all seem to be fine with what they have.

You may want to check out some of the high quality plastic boats from Valley, P&H, Neckey, etc. A lot of advanced kayakers prefer the RM to the composite, and they are under $2000 new.

Used is ok. It will probably have a few issues here and there.

If cost is a huge factor, wait a year and save up.

Even if you buy a new composite, you can use it for 7 years and sell it for half of what you paid in no time flat.

Oh, yeah, there are $400 paddles and then there is crap. Ok, fiberglass paddle is ok, but plan on laying out some cash for a decent paddle, then you will upgrade to a carbon.

However, you can paddle anything on flat water with very little skill level.

Edit: I'm just trying to convey my experience in a small post. There are people who build their own GP wood paddle and seem to favor those, etc. You will probably narrow down your selection (short list) then find a good deal somewhere or be comfortable with the place (people) you are dealing with. I did waste money on a $100 paddle, then bought 2 used carbon, before buying a new carbon Werner at REI.

You might be surprised how much you enjoy kayaking.

What worked for me
was to view instruction as a progression rather than an abstract. I joined the local club. I cross trained in other disciplines. I went on cool trips with people who knew what they were doing. I went on trips where I had much to learn. I listen to people’s views I respect and am willing to experiment. I respect the water.

Dogmaticus

LMAO

Who made you…

– Last Updated: Mar-27-09 9:45 PM EST –

build that boat shed? Or did you do that on your own?

Andy

Yeah, don’t blame me!
I sold my “walrus suit”, still have only pretty basic rolling skills (don’t practice much - fewer get together paddles that make it more fun for a while now), no certs/aspirations, only two kayaks (one I may sell), and I put very few miles on GPs these days. Oops, sort of re-corrupted you there already too…

OK, I might have planted a few seeds here and there, but you clearly tend the garden more.

Boat Shed
And anything else is a direct result of the initial branwashing.

Hey New paddler:

find a nice used Tsunami 140 (One of the best boats out there as it will give you the length and speed, be good to learn in, and still be good to paddle even if you do upgrade and keep it as a loaner) and spend a couple hundred on a decent paddle but only after you have used/tried several. Do invest in a good pfd, a paddle float, a pump, whistle, decent sun hat, and clothing appropriate for the conditions you will be paddling in. Don’t forget the sunscreen!

Paul