Totally new

I second the Carolina 14

– Last Updated: Mar-24-09 10:59 PM EST –

a 14 footer can move well and cover a good amount. I have experience with my Pamlico 140. At 14 feet, it can cover quite a bit of water, a good distance. My cruising speed is about 4mph. That is another kayak to consider IF you see it, but I dont recomend it much because its out of production (the Pamlico 140, that is), and quite hard to find one now. They arent very common anymore, but my personal experience has been positive. There are countless other models like it. The closest thing I've ever paddled to it performance wise is the Plastic Perception Carolina 14- the new one. It is 4 inches narrower, but it still felt almost idenical to my Pamlico 140. Same tracking, same manuverability, same speed. Felt the same. I noticed that all though narrower, it maintains more width throughout boat length than mine, and that is what I think equalizes performance to my kayak 4" wider at 28" wide. My kayak does not maintain much width. The carolina does have better hip control, its not so much kayak to handle.

And as a Wilderness Systems owner, I can say quality is excellent, and I think a tsunami would be an excellent choice- Excellent. Just dont get the duralite version.

Totally new
Useless information. What could a 16-year-old possible have to offer to a conversation of this nature?

Just kidding of course.

Awesome, That’s really good to know. My budget will only allow for a plastic boat and it’s regularly over 115 degrees 4 months out of the year here. Typically we’ll have our camper or tent on the shore of whatever lake we are kayaking on. So we will be “storing” them outside during those weekend trips.

Thanks

Brian

Paralysis by analysis on this board…
Be careful with what you take away from these postings… it can be real overwhelming.

I am 6’4 and 225lbs and the Tsunami 125’ is perfect for me. Two dry hatches, tracks decent, big cockpit space, plenty of bungees, decent weight and pretty affordable- These all add up to why I think it is a perfect boat and would suggest it to anyone looking to paddle what you are wanting to paddle.

Here are some pics from my river (overnight trips) I use it on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glorydaze/

As you will see, there are 9 pages to view- but more importantly I think they show just how versatile of a boat it really is. She has been on lazy flat rivers, all the way up to class III river such as the Mulberry. She has also served as a heck of a fishing vessel when needed as well!!

Enjoy-

Good boat
Brian, Here is some input on our experience with a used boat. I have been kayaking for a few years but my wife has been reluctant to try. when I got her talked into it, we went to a trade and sale day at our local (50 mi) kayak shop And bought a Current Designs Breeze,13’6"x25", in great shape,with rudder, for $600. When she tried it out,it was instant love.Now she wants to go all the time. when I tried it, I was very pleasantly surprised. It’s not as fast as my 17’ Sea Lion, but not slow either.I like it so much that I sometimes take it when I want a more stable platform for photography. Also great to introduce new people to the sport.I am 6’ 215# and my wife is 5’3" 125# and we both love it. It is closer to a sea kayak than a lot of boats in this size range and therefor, more likley to keep your interest longer. Hope this helps.

Chris

holy crap, where do you live??
I’ve never even been in those temperatures. I live in Fort Collins, Colorado. Its north of denver in the front range. It goes like this- Winter, winter, Summer, Winter. repeat. As of right now, its 40 degrees and 4 inches of snow is predicted tommorow.

Totally new
Las Vegas. The summers are brutal here. It’s in the 80s now, but give it a month. :slight_smile:

Brian

Totally new
NICE! I love it! I’m hoping to do that sort of camping with my Kayak too. Probably along the shores of Lake Powell and Mead. Nice wilderness there.

brian

Slightly different here.
With a blizzard currently overhead, school is cancled for today, most likley tommorow too. Its below freezing, a foot of snow on the ground and growing.

The best advice you got
was to head to the kayak symposium. I took that 16 year old kids advice about buying a kayak and found myself in a pretty scary situation.

At the symposium, you will have the chance to paddle a multitude of boats and seek advice from known paddlers, not just entities on a message board.

good advice
An experienced instructor can usually offer the best assessment.

I can say that I have been on group paddles and a lot of people without much skill do fine in very short and wide rec boats. It’s a slower pace but we cover 12 miles. If you don’t want to learn anything, and just get in a wide stable boat, that would be the boat for you.

However, with very little training and practice you could also handle a boat down to say, 24 inch beam without much of a challenge. The hardest part might be getting in and out, but if you are willing to practice for a day or two, that isn’t an issue.

I started with a 22 inch wide boat and found it very tippy at first. And you would need to learn how to wet exit. I bought that used for $1400, used it for a year and traded it for another used composite.

But, I paddle with a lot of people with wide short rec boats and they do fine. Some have 24-26 inch wide boats and pick up a lot more speed and distance.

The best option would be an experienced instructor, and talk with a lot of people.

– Last Updated: Mar-26-09 3:47 PM EST –

I should have been more detailed in the issue I had with Pam's (16 year old)advice to you. He accurately focused on the advantage of his boat's material for durability and made that a primary feature to consider when shopping. In reality, you need to be concerned with the individual fit of the boat, how you like's it's stability, crusing speed, loose turning vs tracking, and overall paddling feel to it. If durability were the only concern, everyone would buy a boat from materials demonstrated as tough by dropping it off a roof.

Not meant to personally criticize Pam 140. But just a caution that you need to be careful absorbing advice in web forums when setting priorities. No sense choosing a boat purely based on durability if it paddles horendously, making your outing miserable.

Totally new
I’m originally from Norther Illinois and Wisconsin. I know what that is like… I kinda miss it.

Brian

Totally new
I’ll keep that in mind. I assure you I will try out any kayak before I buy it, I’m not going to blindly make a purchase. I’ve learned my lesson with other outdoor gear.

Brian

Totally new
I appreciate the clarification. I will objective about the advice I receive and process the data according to my individual needs.

I thank you for your concern.

Brian

Totally new Thanks everyone
I want to thank everyone for their advice. This thread has been a wealth of information and given me a GREAT place to start my shopping. Some brands, features, materials and other factors to consider. Unfortunately I’m not going to make it to San Diego THIS weekend (in-laws are in town), but I’m sure I’ll head that way to escape the Las Vegas heat soon. (it’s already been 80+)I’ll be sure and check out that shop at least.

Thanks again everyone, I just want to end this thing before the 16-year-old takes any more heat. :slight_smile:

Brian

care to elaborate
on the scary situation?

Spray skirt implosion
had a bunch of cold water in the boat.

dont forget paddles and pfd
When we started out we thought the advice on higher end paddles was a bit of hype. After a year of paddling and being convinced we really liked it, we upgraded to carbon fiber paddles. That solved my wife’s elbow problem and made paddling easier for both of us. Remember, you will be lifting those extra ounces in the paddle many many times. Also, a good pfd gives more comfort. Don’t forget to plan for a lightweight paddle and comfortable pfd in the budget.

Lake Mead
Here’s another one close to you.

http://www.kayaklakemead.com/

I ordered some equipment through them and was impressed with their customer service. They also offer lessons and guided tours (Camping).

T-NEW: YOU’RE NOT JUST GETTING A BOAT…

– Last Updated: Mar-26-09 9:54 PM EST –

...you're getting a kayaking SYSTEM.

There's the boat, of course, which you've been focusing on. Lots of good points raised. Couple of additional points. If you and your partner are at all nearly as 'addicited' as you seem in your original post, you'll spend more than merely a bit of time on the water. If you get a boat that's too "easy", too comfortable, to begin with, you just might outgrow it sooner that you think. If you find others with whom you paddle, you might also find yourself either working to keep up if they're in sleeker, more efficient boats, or getting discouraged, and drop out. We went the former route, starting out in very good but not quite efficient paddling SOTs, and struggled to keep up with even a close to 70-year-old woman on one paddle who was in a better boat. ANd she wasn't a world champ or anything close -just an average paddler, and we were in far better shape than she. A good -or better -boat goes a long way to paddle better, faster, and keep up, but there's many who feel no need for speed, efficiency, or going with the group flow, so that's your decision. ANd what was noted about plastic deformation -tghat's for real, and it's called oil canning. It's a concern in places like Vegas (and down here in Miami), but it's something you can work around easily enough.

Then there's the paddle. Don't get the cheapest one on the block. You won't need an ultra-light carbon fibre infinitely adjustable model at $400+, but somewhere between $100 and $150 will get you a decent starter paddle that'll be more than a heavyweight two-ended oar. You and your wife may -or may not -be looking at the same paddles, it depends on how you like them and how they feel. And don't feel like you need yo buy a long one, even with a "wide" (say anything 24" and over) boat -225 will probably cover all the boats you'll look at.

Then there's PFDs for you two. Here's one place where you want as good as you can get in terms of fit and comfort, because a good, comfortable one will be worn. There are women's specials made with bust cut-outs that make for more comfortable fit for her. My wife has a Stohlquist Betsea that she likes a lot.

And then there's the transportation angle. WIth 2 boats, I think you'll best be served by a good, standard roof rack. It will hold your boats steady and securely at highway speeds and long trips, as most on this board will attest. We started out with foam block carriers but went with a roof rack soon thereafter -it offers much more ease of transport and peace of mind. Thule, Yakima, Saris all make rack systems, and they, and Malone, make holders that attach to the crossbars to more securely hold your boats, and all are good.

Don not be afraid to go used. You'll get a lot -a LOT -of bang for your buck, and as you note, VALUE, if you carefully check used items before you buy. We've had 8 boats, 6 paddles, 6 PFDs, and 4 roof rack systems. Six of the 8 boats were bought used; 5 of 6 paddles were bought used; 3 of 6 PFDs were bought used, and 2 o, 2 of 4 roof racks were bought used. Of the 2 new boats, one was bought at 50% off, and of the 3 new PFDs, 2 were bought at more than 30% off. All used items performed well, and all were terrific values.

Both of you should get as much seat time in as many boats as practible; ditto for palm time for paddles. You'll get a far better feel for what you're looking for, comfotable with, and what might be best for where you are and what and where you want to do, paddling wise.

And remember, the 2 best things you can get are being smart on the water, and some experience.

Finally, put together a profile so we know a little bit about you and post it -you'll see a little head along-side our names when we have them. Click on them and you'll see a little bit about us.

Good luck with your search and may you and your wife find great boats and gear, and great places to, and great times together as you

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami