Touring Kayak options

Any questions on it let me know if you need to. My backyard is littered with 7 North American CD kayaks. :joy:

Older ones have Yakima sliding pedals which I hate but you can swap them out fairly easy if you like.

Edit I see you pulled the trigger congratulations :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

I am new to kayaking. My daughter has a couple Hurricane Santee 126 Sport recreational kayaks at 12’6" with a 28" beam, and I needed something easier to paddle on our local lakes that would allow me to keep up with her and cover the same distance. I’m 68 years old.

I spent an enormous amount of time reading up on kayaks and many reviews, and decided to buy an ABS composite vs plastic or fiberglass for the lighter weight they provide. I set my limit to 50 pounds so I could lift it onto a kayak trailer by myself. That took Wilderness Systems and others out of the equation. I created a spreadsheet with comparisons on Eddyline and Delta based on ratings and reviews found here on Paddling.com. I also set a limit of only touring kayaks between 15’ and 17’. That narrowed me down to three from Delta - the 15.5 GT, 16, and the 17. It also left only one Eddyline, the Fathom.

The Eddyline Fathom and the Delta 16 are almost identical to the WS Tempest 165 in length, beam, depth, and cockpit size except they are five and seven pounds lighter respectively.

I wasn’t sure about such a narrow beam for beginner stability, so I bought a Delta 15.5 GT from REI. I also found a good deal on a used Eddyline Fathom, so I now have both. The Delta is my favorite for now because it is more stable. The Eddyline has a very pronounced V hull which makes me nervous when sitting still. As long as I’m moving, I’m good. The V hull makes the kayak not want to sit flat on the water when not moving. It constantly tips to one side or the other. More time in that saddle and the Eddyline will be my favorite as it is FAST! It’s very easy for an old man to paddle.

I shared both the Delta and the Eddyline with an expert friend of my daughter’s, and she was real impressed with the speed of the Eddyline. The Fathom will cover a lot of water easily.

Like others are saying, you do have to try them to see which you prefer, but that’s a hard thing to do. I couldn’t find anything in the stores within 100 miles of me. If you want a Delta, you have to watch REI’s website several times a day and jump on one when they get it in. And in actuality, I might sell the Eddyline and get a Delta 16 or 17. Time will tell.

I might also say I am 5’8" at 165 pounds. Good luck with your choice.

P.S. You most certainly can find used kayaks right here on Paddling.com in the classifieds. This is where I bought my Eddyline Fathom. I also found another Fathom in Oklahoma City by doing a DuckDuckGo search for a used one for sale. With recreational products being so hard to find in the stores, you can find more looking for used.

2 Likes

Stellar kayaks caught my eye. Not sure if I can find one to test paddle. Eddyline is very nice too. Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

You’re not that far from the gulf states. If I was in OK I would be checking the ads along the gulf. There’s bound to be some sea kayaks for sale in those areas.

1 Like

Touring kayaks are more like a pair of pants than a used car. Your legs need to fit well to be comfortable. The only way to know is put your butt in the boat. Rent some is a cheap way to get a diversity of trying boats before buying. Even on vacation. Lots of good posts already written on used options. I spent 6 months to buy my first kayak. Some shops will demo days where you can try before you buy. Going for a fishing kayak to a touring boat has lots of different options, do you love or hate a rudder, do you want a skeg, do you want a fast boat or more stable one how much storage? Try them out. Best of luck

1 Like

The Tempest line was made in plastic, just not the Pro version. I almost bought a 165 - very nice boat. I have a plastic P&H Capella 160 that I love. Both were used.

1 Like

I have a friend here in North Idaho trying to sell her scarcely used Tempest 140 Pro - as you say, in fiberglass. It is listed on the Spokane, WA Craigslist. I’ve noticed that there are a fair number of decent kayaks on that list, with nearly zero turnover. It’s a good time of season to buy a used kayak in our area.

1 Like

I tried a friend’s 165 Pro and it was super. The seat/outfitting, particularly. I think used sea kayaks pretty easy to get - it’s more the recreational/entry level boats that were really hot here.

OP did you ever find a boat? I’ve got a Necky IV I’m thinking of parting with, that’s within a few hours drive from you.

My wife, at 5’ 7" 120 lbs, has a Necky Looksha IV (kevlar) which she quite likes. Even though it’s a bit big on her, she has no interest in alternatives.

Necky made many models, all quite different, using the ‘Looksha’ name. So ‘Looksha IV’ is the definitive name here.