Touring Kayaks

I’m new here so bear with me. My wife and I are interesting in purchasing two new kayaks. We both are tall: I’m 6’-4"-250 lb, and she’s 6’-0" 150 lb. We live in central KY and plan on exploring multiple lakes and class 1 rivers. As the time goes on, and the abilities increase, we will venture out of state to some other waterways, oceans, rivers, etc. My question is, after hours of looking online we’ve both looked at the touring and recreational models–everything from Tsunami 145, a Old Town Loon 126, to a Eddyline Denali. Due to our sizes and location test driving exact models is not always possible. I’m really trying not to purchase something that later, in hindsight, makes me wish we went for a longer boat or a different type/size/shape, etc. I realize much of this is personal and to particular fit but any and all seasoned advice would be appreciated!

Personally I like current Designs brand solstice Titan is good as is the entire Solstice line. Budget is? New or used? I would say 17 or bigger for you and 15+ or more for her… what dealers are you near?

The standard advice is to contact paddle shops nearby and ask about their demo days or rentals. Demo days are great. Shops take a bunch of models to a body of water and let you try and hope you buy. Rentals cost a bit but it really pays to try before you buy. My advice is not to go under 14 feet long and don’t rule out used boats. I like skegs and some folks like rudders but I wouldn’t own a kayak without one or the other.

IKf your budget doesn’t allow for the expense of composite boats I’d suggest you look at the P&H Scorpio HV for you and the Scorpio LV for your wife.

http://www.phseakayaks.com/kayakSelector.php?type=Expedition%20Ready

Never get two boats that are longer than a foot apart in length.
The longer boat will paddle so much faster than the shorter boat that you will be leaving the wife behind and you will yell “hurry up” while she yells “Slow down”.
Any decently made boat will paddle as fast as a comparable length regardless of who paddles it (unless you are a speed freak).
So get two 14’ or 2 16’ so you can stay together.
Also, get her a lighter boat as being a woman ,she is weaker than are you so if she has a boat that weighs less than yours, she can keep up easier.

I can agree or disagree with the ‘no more than one-foot difference’ idea, depending on the situation. That statement will be true for two paddlers if both of them like to push fairly hard at keeping up a brisk cruising speed, but it won’t be true for typical paddlers who move at a more leisurely pace, and it definitely won’t be true if one of the paddlers is relatively weak. For a weak paddler traveling at speeds appropriate to their strength (say, 3 to 4 mph), a boat on the shorter end of the ideal range can actually end up being faster, simply because at the speed that person can easily go, the shorter boat moves through the water more easily. The higher speed of a longer boat is not driven by magic. Physics dictates that more effort is needed to get the higher speed, but the longer boat reaches a faster speed by the time that trying to go faster is no longer worth the effort. For a person who can and will put forth the effort, the longer boat will provide more speed, but not everyone paddles in that way.

There was a recent discussion about this here, but I don’t know where it is now. Comparing, for example, a 16-foot boat to a 14-footer, the speeds at which the 16-footer and 14-footer “hit the wall”, as far as greater speed being not worth the effort, are 6.1 mph and 5.7 mph, respectively. In reality, most people will be going about 1.5 to 2 mph slower than their boat’s practical maximum speed, and at such speeds, both boats are well within the speed range for easy cruising, and that portion of the speed range for both boats will overlap quite a bit. For two people of markedly different size who wish to cruise together at a comfortable pace, it can indeed make sense for the length difference to be greater than one foot.

Boat length is not an either/or kind of decision. Too many factors are in play for that.

Just wanted to second KFBrady’s suggestion for you guys to try a Scorpios if you guys are considering long boats. I absolutely love the way my Scorpio HV paddles and I’m not too far off of you size wise. Also check out the Zephyr 155 for your wife if she’s not a fan of the Scorpio (Another family favourite in our house). I’m 6’2 with a 32" inseam and just jumped into our Zephyr 155, foot pegs fit. At 150 she’d have a good waterline in a Scorpio LV or a Z155. Have fun testing.

Current Designs makes a boat that will fit both of you and is capable of doing it all and at a very reasonable price. That would be the Sirocco. If your budget includes composites, the Gulfstream and Cypress should be looked at and then there are the Prana’s. It just doesn’t get any better than that. Well it does, but that’s a matter of opinion. Just for the fun of it, or for future possibilities, go to nckayaks.com.

Here is a list I got from a friend who is 6’7"" and maybe 180 pounds. He was a high level instructor, so had the opportunity to paddle many boats.

I don’t think there is a kayak greater than 17’4" that I’m not able to fit into.

I would be able to fit into a fair amount of kayaks in the 16’-17’ range IF I drilled and re-mounted the footrails/ footpegs further away from the seat.

Here is a list of kayaks, shorter than 17’, that I can fit into WITHOUT any modifications:

Current Designs Sirocco

P&H Delphin 155

NorthShore Atlantic LV

Valley Gemini SP

P&H(?) Hammer, the big one (I forget if there are multiple sizes or not)

Dagger Alchemy (biggest)

Dagger Stratos (the biggest one)

Getting boats in the same length class makes the roof top rack dimensions easier to set up. Getting a boat the wife can paddle faster than you keeps them motivated longer and gives you something to work towards. Get the touring sea kayak with forward and aft bulkheads before you go for a “recreational” boat. Getting a boat than can handle more than you can gives you flexibility to move up in degree of difficulty, ie distance, speed and weather conditions.

Thank you all! These are wonderful suggestions and comments. This helps put a little more seasoned perspective into our hunt and it helps us make more informed decisions. We appreciate it a lot! Have a blessed 4th!!

really first thing is budget and if new or used? If you want used it may take a while to find what you want near enough. We could all recommend a bunch but in composite new you’ll be at 8 grand + -. Used you may find two for less than 2 grand in great condition.

My first kayak was $250. Then I spent $1,000 on skirts, cover, racks, PFD and other gear. It doesn’t end with the boat.

@RikJohnson said:
Also, get her a lighter boat as being a woman ,she is weaker than are you so if she has a boat that weighs less than yours, she can keep up easier.

@Overstreet said:
Getting a boat the wife can paddle faster than you keeps them motivated longer and gives you something to work towards.

We know nothing about the physical condition of either paddler. I’m sure there are plenty of women paddlers out there that do not need these accommodations made for them, It would be nice if people could move past these stereotypes. I’m new around here and this sort of thing is really frustrating.

@Birdie said:

@RikJohnson said:

@Overstreet said:
Getting a boat the wife can paddle faster than you keeps them motivated longer and gives you something to work towards.

We know nothing about the physical condition of either paddler. I’m sure there are plenty of women paddlers out there that do not need these accommodations made for them, It would be nice if people could move past these stereotypes. I’m new around here and this sort of thing is really frustrating.

Don’t let you PC pride get in the way of solid inputs honed by years of experience.

@Birdie said:

@RikJohnson said:

@Overstreet said:

Some truth there, Birdie. My wife doesn’t care how much her boat weighs, because I always load it, unload it and carry it to and from the water for her. But, she definitely appreciates the efficiency and ease of paddling her Epic V6, since she can keep up with my much easier than in the other kayaks she’d paddled with me.

I do understand your point that many women are stronger than many men, but on average, men tend to be stronger. Many women could carry my boats easier than I can (and I’d let them) and could easily out paddle me (not much I can do about that).

The key to paddling with a wife or friend you want to keep is to stay together. Regardless of either’s boat.

But, String, I have a need for speed.

Overstreet, I’d rather be PC than sexist. Your comment speaks specifically to a woman’s mind/determination. Last time I checked neither of those qualities are determined by one’s reproductive organs.

I can acknowledge that given all else equal a man is going to be stronger/faster than a women. I just think jumping to these assumptions tell women that they are only welcome to the boys club if a man is there to hold their hands. I personally experienced this when I bought my kayak. They guy kept trying to talk to my husband (who literally has never kayaked) whenever I asked questions. On the other hand I’ve had many interactions completely to the contrary and I know there are some really awesome paddlers out there.

One of the strongest paddlers I know is a woman. I think she can outpaddle me in a dugout.