tow line 'biner?

lmao

– Last Updated: May-29-08 11:26 AM EST –

steve its not a function of the complexity of the topic. Its a function of all the spare time p netters have to blog here.

Hmmmm

– Last Updated: May-29-08 11:41 AM EST –

Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm not towing folks across Woods Hole. I have the North Water short tow, the webbing is fairly narrow, 1/2" at most.

and
made passive agressive comments about “advanced paddlers” regarding to rick and this thread.

If you’re going to be insulting at least be a man and stand behind it.

They weren’t…
“passive agressive comments about “advanced paddlers” regarding to rick”

They were deliberate. If it were passive aggressive, I would’ve “sugar coated” it.

So why should I stand up to something I didn’t do?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

BTW, who was the “qualified expert” (you are always saying has to back up fact) rated him on the boards as advanced?

I re read the original post
and didn’t understand him to be saying that but if that’s what he means, ok—anyway the method I used has always worked for me so I’m not going to spend anymore time pondering the issue nm

ahhh
that profile thing is a bigger pain in the ass than it’s worth. you fill it out to offer some insight as to where you’re coming from or leave it blank and folks can wonder. in any event, you don’t win.

to answer your question coffee…nigel dennis and pete jones signed off on my bcu 5* sea award in wales a few years ago. if you like bumpy moving water and get a chance to go i highly recommend the experience. you will not look at water the same again.

in any event, whether or not that makes one “advanced” is another issue.

That was all the diameter I saw catch
sail in the bay, 1/2" or so. What it did was prevent two towers to add any meaningful tension to the rafted pair they were trying to get around a headland. To be fair, it is not a bad choice in tow line material, however, in that environment, on that day it posed a problem. If you were aware of it, perhaps you could alter your strategy slightly to compensate, but rope works fine so I’d likely not change from that.

My set up is a small float 18"s or so behind a Ss biner. Easy to stuff bag I made that self drains. As long as it can get through a pair of deck lines fairly quick It’ll work fine. Sometimes it is hard to even get a biner under deck lines (if they are there at all) in bumpy water. The idea of tying a knot with no quick release feature on me or my boat doesn’t appeal well.

Dogmaticus

If 5* isn’t advanced…

– Last Updated: May-29-08 5:41 PM EST –

I think it is valuable to have some sense the level of skill and/or experience of someone posting observations or questions.

The BCU star system is a defined set of skills for each level. If someone holds a star award, you can confirm what skills they likely possess.

It is as close to an objective and verifiable system as exists.

IMHO it takes an advanced paddler to survive 5* training. To achieve the 5* award maybe the clearest certification of advanced sea kayaking skills available.

yeah whatever pansy

– Last Updated: May-29-08 6:52 PM EST –

This is what you said:

"Go easy on him...He is "advanced"..."

To his face huh. Suuure. Or were you expecting okole to pass it on for you?

No, what I did was to someone's face (honestly I don't know whether you're a pansy or not, I was just illustrating a point).

Coffee’s right. Tie a knot.
And I, too, am sure I can tie a quick release knot in the same amount of time most of you can clin a carabiner in. I rough seas and a Force 5 breeze.

Knots are basic seamanship. Learn it.

Well since you can’t read…
I’ll copy/paste exactly what I said:

They weren’t…

Posted by: coffeeII on May-29-08 12:44 PM (EST)

“passive agressive comments about “advanced paddlers” regarding to rick”

They were deliberate. If it were passive aggressive, I would’ve “sugar coated” it.

So why should I stand up to something I didn’t do?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

NEVER, did I say to his face (as you can read (again). Boy you have a serious problem with making sh!t up… Dumb@$$

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Spoken like someone…

– Last Updated: Jun-01-08 12:23 PM EST –

...who's obviously never done it. Try it sometime, then report back to us. I'll bet you'll have your tail between your legs.

Knots are basic to climbing too, but you're never going to see a climber using a knot where a carabiner is more appropriate. That's exactly the situation commonly found when towing a kayak. Clipping a carabiner to a deck line is fast and can be done one-handed, even in rough conditions where tying a knot is not even a viable option. Get some experience before you criticize someone like Rick who knows what they're talking about.

I've paddled with Rick, I know what his skill level is and I can assure you he's the kind of person you'd want around if things really got nasty on the water.

The center tow thing…
…doesn’t make any sense to me either, but there may be some misunderstanding involved. From what I gather, the idea is to run the tow line under the bow decklines of the assistant’s boat (as you would in a normal assisted tow), but instead of clipping it to the bow of the victim’s boat, you clip to rigging near the cockpit where either the victim or assistant can easily release it. I agree with Rick that this would make it much more difficult to keep the bows of the boats together, making it a pretty impractical technique.

I’ve sailed sailboats
for more than 30 years. Tell me what I haven’t done, again.

thread that won’t die
Obviously some of us like knots and some like Carrabiners—(I’m a Binner man myself—probably goes back to my rock climbing youth) but either one will do I suppose—but if anyone wants to race me to determine howlong it takes me to hook the binner on the bow of the boat verses how long it takes you to tie a knot on the bow of the same boat, shoot me an e-mail—BTW you will have to travel to Maine if you wish to do the “Sprague Challenge”— but you can enjoy some good paddling afterwards. I hope you all have a great day on the water sometime this week.

What does sailing have to do with it?

– Last Updated: Jun-02-08 8:35 AM EST –

We're talking about kayaking and towing other paddlers. Your experience in sailing is irrelevant to the topic. Go do some paddling and towing in rough water, then tell us how easy it is to tie knots when towing. Again, as I said in a previous post:

"The answer is always obvious when you don't know what you're talking about."

Please post a video…
…of you tying a quick release knot in a kayak in Force 5 conditions faster than you can clip in a carabiner. We could all learn something from such a presentation.

figure 9 device???
might be a great option. Way quicker than tying any knot, undone with a quick flip of the end. I found them at REI. Made by Nite Ize.

A different idea…
Just started messing with this and got the idea elsewhere:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2193657040068902019XmxlnX

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2108501140068902019FErsQi

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2791720060068902019eZUYIz

One hand (my left, easier with my right) on/off vid:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3055831130068902019OFkFlP

Slips through deck lines as in assisted tow release vid:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3088728750068902019WDryfA

No need for a float. Less weight than a biner. Less overall weight and bulk–always a good thing. Thoughts?

play devil’s advocate here…
try sliding it under the deck lines again, but this time pull it forward (towards the bow of the kayak) rather than sideways. The result might be the same, but often when releasing an assisted tow the line moves more forward than sideways.

It looks like a viable option but I would like to see it tested in 2-3 foot waves with a short period - both securing it and towing for at least 20 minutes.