Tracer 165 vs. Tempest 170?

-- Last Updated: Aug-27-08 7:32 PM EST --

Would you trade a used one for the other for about the same $$$ and condition (they should cost the same IMO on the used market, or am I wrong)?

Don't mention the seats - I got my opinion on this one -;)

I might just keep both so my wife/daughter could use them with me (they are of close enough size/ability combination for either at present). But I just anticipate that I might decide to diversify next year and get a different type of boat (faster/better tracking, thinking of an Epic 18x/Nemo/Prijon Barracuda or similar or may be build a custom fiber/wood boat myself is not out of question) and only keep one of these two relative "slugs" at the end for more "fun" conditions. And I'd like to know your thoughts.

My expectation is that the two would handle in the water very similarly with probably negligible differences in moderate conditions due to the hull shape differences (slightly more rocker/softer chine on the Tracer). But how about in rougher open water/wind/waves? Any preference if you've tried both in such conditions? How about strength/dependability?

I guess I'm looking for ideas more on handling in the water or other subtle issues rather than the material/weight/fit for my body type differences, but I'm open to all thoughts -;)

I guess I’m sensing two things here…

– Last Updated: Aug-29-08 3:32 PM EST –

One is that the material on the Hurricanes is harder to scratch than the regular rotomolded boats but is easier to crack under a signifficant load, such as being pinned against a sharp-ish rock in a white water (where the "regular" plastic would just bounce back with possibly gouges to document the event).

I guess that would be OK for my intended use as I hardly take my Tempest over rocks in such way where it would suffer a hard blow, but often scrape the bottom over rocks when going over edges or if I just don't see them underwater.

Tough choice - and hard to make without paddling both for a while, I guess.

Thanks for the input - keep it coming if you got more, since I'm considering getting a Tracer soon if I convince myself its benefits would outweigh its drawbacks (all of this purely based on my theoretical knowledge/specifications, so highly unreliable...).

A few more questions

– Last Updated: Aug-30-08 8:06 AM EST –

Do the hatches on the Tracer leak when doing a rolling session or in lots of waves that cover it? Does the skeg cable leak? Anything else leaking -;)?

Also, is the skeg indeed the "bad" kink type that would get damaged if forcefully retracted up?

On my Temopest I've managed to mostly eliminate the large leaks from the first bulkhead behind the seat. And the two rear hatches (especially the oval one) do not leak (the round one seems to take a little water of no significance now and then). But my front hatch still gets what I think is an unacceptably large amount of water under not so tough conditions: 2-3 cups of water in only about 30 minutes of rolling/rescues in flat water and I think the cover has something to do with it - I guess I need to put a string or a bungy on it next time to see if it helps any. Or may be now the front bulkhead leaks from the cockpit... How hard it would be to produce a new boat that is dry under the not that heavy use conditions I'm subjecting it to -;(.

I'm hoping the Hurricane having more sturdy bulkheads and one less hatch cover would leak less if any. The covers looked somewhat flimsy to me but well sealing on the one Tracer I looked at and did not buy due to crooked hull. Would these hatches easily implode during rescues or otherwise if you've looked at that?

Tracer questions
"One is that the material on the Hurricanes is harder to scratch than the regular rotomolded boats but is easier to crack under a significant load, such as being pinned against a sharp-ish rock in a white water (where the “regular” plastic would just bounce back with possibly gouges to document the event)." – I think the above is pretty accurate. Like fiberglass, Trylon is a denser material and is more resistant to surface scratches than polyethylene. However, it is misleading to make a blanket statement and say Trylon is more durable than polyethylene. More accurate to say it is more durable in some respects.

I haven’t had any problem with leaky hatches in the Tracer. I did need to add additional sealant to the bulkheads, which took care of any problem with water in the hatches.