Traditional Paddles ...

Ok, it has been done before, but I may be looking to get another solo tripping traditional paddle. Solid or lam, any suggestions, pros - cons etc? I would use it for my Shearwater as well a tandem paddled solo.

Brammy.

What you mean “traditional”?
Non bent shaft? Solid wood beavertail? What traditional paddles were laminated? What do you want from the “traditional” paddling experience?

I have a Nashwaak, and it is kinda fun, but for a long cruise, it can’t touch my light slalom paddles.

You’re gonna hear:
Shaw and Tenney, Grey Owl, Turtle, etc.

You can make your own, it’s not hard if you have an eye for symmetry and basic woodworking skills.

g2d

as for traditonal, i meant beaver/otter tials etc, built as straight shafts. I have heard real good things about Kettlewell and Owl, as well as turtle, but I have only paddled a Turtle (ottertail I think) adn it was awesome … but heavy after a whole day of use. So, I was looking for comments from folks who have had actual use with them.

They call me… Mr. Treeditioool
Utter den in rocky streams or WW, ah’ almost always like ta use me “traditional” solid wood paddles. Ah’ gots several (walnut an’ birdseye maple) Shaw an’ Tenney Racine paddles, a cherry Turtlewoyks Ottertail, a Ray Kettlewell Quill an’ me all-timey favoorite - a cherry Nashwaak Cruiser. Ah’ jus’ like de feel o’ usin’ deez here long an’ narrow bladed paddles - an’ dem looks cool ta boot. Impresses de wimminfolk ta no end too…

FE

Sounds like a Shaw & Tenny spruce
once you know the pattern you want.

I’m thinking of getting one of their double blades, 9’ or so, in sassafras. Spruce would be lighter, but sassafras will stand up better to occasional ww rock bashing.

lake paddles
I’ve got a few and the ones I like best are a walnut Grey Owl Chieftain and a Bending Branches beavertail…the BB seems like quite a value, light and enjoyable to use and reasonably priced. My Shaw and Tenney is ash and it’s nice but I’d prefer spruce…I paddled with a friend’s spruce beavertail and liked it a lot.

Traditional shapped paddles
such as otter tails can be made from a single piece of lumber (the traditional way) or can be laminated. As stated in previous posts, laminating allows one to optimize the characteristics of both soft and hard woods resulting in a higher strength to weight ratio. That ratio can be improved further by glassing the blade.

It’s all a matter of taste. For traditionalists (and sometimes I’m one of them) a solid beaver or ottertail and a wood/canvas boat is the ticket. For lighter weight, improved performance etc. modern technology provides options.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes

This is a great paddle …

– Last Updated: Dec-10-08 6:50 PM EST –

..... Carlisle 8" Beavertail .

http://www.carlislepaddles.com/product/canoe_paddles/beavertail.aspx

No one seems to ever mention Carlisle's Beavertail . I wonder why ?? ..... it's a great a paddle !!

You almost don't even know it's in your hands , really !! At the end of a full day using , it still feels so light . (and I paddle UP river as much or more than down) . It has power too , when called on .

You can order it direct from Old Town Canoe Co. for $48. + $5 (I think) for S/H ..

This paddle is comparable in every way to the more expensive ones ... it ain't no slouch , and it's pretty thin too . they say the 60" weighs about 23 oz. , I use the 54" , and have never weighed it , but I'll bet it doesn't make 20 oz., probably more like 18-19 oz. .

I have tried to beat mine to death , but it keeps surprising me and won't give an inch ... I'm amazed at this paddle , really !!

It's basswood , and it ain't glassed either ... I'm brutal on my equipment , and this 8" Beavertail is a keeper . I'm getting another one or two very soon , and that's sayin something !!

Just say no
Carlisle = no.

The most unrefined paddles I have seen, apart from those Caviness ‘feather lite’ things.

Call me a snob, just don’t like em.

all wood paddles different
The comments about Carlisle paddles being good or bad remind me that if possible it’s nice to look at a whole bunch of paddles and pick out a “good” one (visually straight and equally flexible on both faces), and paddle them if you can. Every wood paddle is different…some are heavy, some are light, some flex more on one face than the other…I’ve been lucky to have test paddled most of my paddles before buying them. My Grey Owl Chieftain was the “best one” out of about 10 at CanoeSport and my buddy that worked there used to hide it so he could use it himself. It can be a bit risky to order a wood paddle…carbon paddles are much more consistent than wood. Laminated wood paddles may be more consistent in principle but my experience is that they still have a ton of paddle to paddle variation. I don’t doubt that the gentleman that loves him Carlisle has a fine paddle…my favorite Bending Branches beavertail is mostly basswood and gloriously light.

all wood paddles different
The comments about Carlisle paddles being good or bad remind me that if possible it’s nice to look at a whole bunch of paddles and pick out a “good” one (visually straight and equally flexible on both faces), and paddle them if you can. Every wood paddle is different…some are heavy, some are light, some flex more on one face than the other…I’ve been lucky to have test paddled most of my paddles before buying them. My Grey Owl Chieftain was the “best one” out of about 10 at CanoeSport and my buddy that worked there used to hide it so he could use it himself. It can be a bit risky to order a wood paddle…carbon paddles are much more consistent than wood. Laminated wood paddles may be more consistent in principle but my experience is that they still have a ton of paddle to paddle variation. I don’t doubt that the gentleman that loves him Carlisle has a fine paddle…my favorite Bending Branches beavertail is mostly basswood and gloriously light.

There are a lot of traditional paddles

– Last Updated: Dec-10-08 7:41 PM EST –

around but its fair to assume you are not including a Maine Guide paddle among them

You might like an Algonquin Guide paddle from Turtle Paddle works if you can get your hands on one. Jodie Marc stopped making paddles the last I heard.

for soloing a tandem boat you wont be taking your paddle much out of the water so much of the paddle weight is supported by water at all times. A thinner shape works best and is less stressful on the joints. That means its a deep water paddle.

My AG paddle from Turtle Paddle Works has a very short shaft, because I am close to the water.

I do have a variable grip on it though and that allows it to be used in a dedicated solo flat boat.

I have several Kettlewells and Stonehouse paddles plus one from Ray Arcand and one from David Cavner and three from Caleb Davis..all lovely variations on a voyageur or ottertail paddle.

Havent checked out the WCHA website..I got all but the Kettlewells from WCHA members.

A paddle is very personal..I prefer stiff paddles and others swear by ones that flex.

Check out Doug Ingrams website..he has a lot of good paddles and will custom make one for you

http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/frames.htm

Some suggestions
I have a cherry Kettelwell ottertail which is my favorite “storebought” paddle for solo use. Also have two Shaw and Tenney paddles, a maple ottertail which is by far my prettiest paddle but is a bit heavy and a spuce beavertail which is a very nice paddle.

Making your own paddles is not too hard and lets you experiment with different shapes and materials.

Sugar Island & Otter Tail
For use in my solo canoes I like a more of a Sugar Island design, which is more of what most people would consider a “normal” paddle. The longer “traditional” paddles don’t work as well for me in a solo boat.

I do have a Redtail Otter Tail (Black Cherry), but I use it only in my tandem. http://www.redtailpaddle.com/bca.htm It might be good for paddling a tandem solo. However, that may be because I have a 57" paddle. Maybe shorter would be good for a solo canoe.

I agree that in my dedicated solos
less than 30 inches wide at the waterline, the ottertail does not provide as much turning power. I too prefer a Sugar Island derivative for those boats.

But I think Bob is looking at a larger masses boat that could respond well to a narrower blade and and actually could require it.

Wider blades generate more turning torque, and when you have a big boat under you that is a lot of strain on the connection, namely you.

Kanoo , what could possibly …
… be done to a Carlisle 8" Beavertail paddle to refine it ??

Not to be antagonistic or challenge you in any way , just wondering what could make it better ??

Could the perfect (so to speak) 8" beavertail all wood paddle be found somewhere inside the Carlisle 8" Beavertail by tweaking it here and there somehow ??

I’m just thinking of it like a paddle you or I might be making , considering it as a well roughed out blank , and ready to bring to final shapes and finish .

What should be changed from where it’s at now to make it better ??

Contrary Thought
Contact Marc Ornstein at Dog Paddle design and get a paddle that performs.

Those traditional sticks were originally made by voyageurs who were constrained by materials, tools and time. They chopped down a smallish dead spruce, rough shaped it with the same axe and final shaped it with a crooked knife.

You may have noticed that no winning marathon racers use traditional paddles; their blades are ~8 by 18". Similarly, whitewater racers use blades ~8.5 by 22".

There’s nothing wrong with using old timey gear 'cause you think it’s cool, but if you want your forward stroke to perform… get a modern stick: straight if you kneel, bent if you sit.

RedTail, Sawyer
My favourite store-bought traditional paddles are:

Redtail beavertail ash (second choice - birdseye maple)

Redtail ottertail cherry

Sawyer beavertail cedar/glass laminate

Redtail laminated beavertail/ottertail (a big step down in feel, but a good shape - watch out for the asymmetrical top-grip they sometimes use, though)

I know Sawyer isn’t known for their traditional paddles, and that laminated cedar/glass/plastic edging is not a traditional method. It is, however, a traditional shape and a very nice paddle (light, good flex in the right places) I find the shaft diameter a tad bigger than I would like, but I have stubby fingers.

I like Grey Owl, but have not been impressed with their traditional line as compared to Redtails (both good quality, just personal preferences). I had a cherry ottertail.

I had the famed Nashwaak cruiser and preferred my Redtails, so it was rarely used.

All of these are better than a mohawk abs/aluminum paddle as long as the water is deep enough.

I really don’t want to come off as a snob, but honestly, I probably wouldn’t do anything with it. You can get a Grey Owl for not that much more, and you have to figure in the age old ‘opportunity cost’ of spending your time trying to refine an entry level, mass production paddle.