Trailers

Can someone help me out? I’m in search of a trailer to transport and store my 3 Kayaks and possible a Canoe. I see a few on the market, but have not been able to get a close and personal look. It seems I would have to order one and try it for myself. So if anyone has used a trailer and can make a recommendation I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Trailers, dedicated kayak or otherwise
Besides the made-for-kayaks/canoes trailers, you might want to look at alternatives such as modifying a utility trailer or snowmobile trailer.

I use one of the latter, and it has done very well since we bought it 4 years ago. Constructed of aluminum and marine plywood, with a supple suspension, the trailer weighs about 300 lbs and can carry 2 upright kayaks side-by-side, more if you set up different types of mounts or doubled the rack (made a 2nd story for additional kayaks).

The 4’ x 9’ flatbed protects much of the hull area from rocks and gravel being thrown upwards. (Also makes a nice sleeping platform.)

Cost is about $1000, which is similar to what some of the dedicated kayak trailers cost.

I’ll try to remember to take a digital photo of it and upload and post a link here.

trailers
thanks and keep me posted if you come across a photo

If your a little handy
You can get a light utility trailer (cheap) or a used jon boat trailer (cheaper and they already have a long tongue). With a little thought you can build racks for as many boats as you want,wood/metal, fixed/removable, it’s your option. If needed you can cut and mark all the pieces and have them welded at a shop fairly reasonably, since it’s the layout work that takes all the time and therefor runs up the price.

Good Luck

Randy

Utility Trailer
I bought a utility trailer from Harbor Freight (some assembly required!) for about $225. You have to supply the plywood deck. It works really well, I’ve put lots of miles on it. Its nice that I can configure it in a lot of different ways in order to carry whatever I need. It rides a little rough (its rated for 1100 lbs) but I haven’t had any problems. See these pictures http://community.webshots.com/album/75339788oTcAIx

Second on a boat trailer
We bought a regular trailer suitable for a 16 foot power boat. We built a 4x8x2.5 foot box on it out of plywood, centered over the wheels which are to the rear of the trailer. We had a canvas maker sew a waterproof custom-made soft cover. Then we had our handy-dandy brother in law welder put cross supports that are outside the box. He even made the back ones removable. I covered the cross bars with indoor-outdoor carpeting and voila, a great trailer for canoes/kayaks and a general purpose utility trailer with a box the size of most pickups. The trailer pulls really easy with my Subaru Outback, and I’ve got enough room to put all my camping and boating gear in the box, not the back of the wagon.

The total cost for all the custom modifications and the trailer was considerally less than the $1000 charged for most commercial trailers. Of course, it will only be that price if you can build the box yourself; the welding doesn’t cost much if you have good plans available.

Pam

Here is my trailer
Showing the noodles I use to pad the boats, too. Have had as many as 4 boats on it with noodles in between for short distances.

Great for hauling mulch, manure, ladders, stuff too.

And I pull it with my 1995 Honda Civic Ex.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=186347969&photoID=204011942&security=tcOsxM

utility trailers
I would also agree that an inexpensive way too go

would be to cutomize a simple utility trailer. I

paid $300.00 for mine used, new plywood deck and

4x4 uprights, removable cross beams with packing

foam boat supports…

slidesgal
Can’t access the pictures. I don’t think you gave us the public URL.

Here’s a link
http://www.primotrailersales.com/triton_snowm.shtml

We have the XT (no wishbone struts on the sides of the tongue). These trailers come with long tongues that can be unbolted and extended even longer, requiring just one hole to be drilled. We paid the dealer an additional $40 to do this so that long kayaks could ride on the trailer without threat of damage during jacknifing.

I measured the trailer a little while ago; the flatbed is about 4’4" wide and 10’ long.

We made crossbars out of 2x4 wood and indoor/outdoor carpeting and foam. The plastic yaks ride directly on the bars. For my deeply-V’ed wood kayak, I made wood-and-minicell cradles that attach to the crossbars but ride directly on the flatbed.

Triton does make a wider version of our trailer, meant to carry 2 snowmobiles instead of just one. However, if you made a double-decker rack, you could carry all your boats on the smaller trailer. Weight capacity is more than enough.

Trailer wiring (required) runs about $50. If you have a 2WD pickup with a sturdy bumper (should have a sticker stating maximum tongue weight), you can bolt on a 2" ball for $10–for $60 total. If you need a hitch, that’ll run at least $150 for the hitch, wiring, etc., depending on vehicle and class of hitch. You need only a Class I hitch (tow up to 2000 lbs) for the weight involved in pulling a trailerful of kayaks, but many people prefer Class III for more versatility.

You might already know the above, but just in case…I had to look it all up when researching our trailer options.

trailers for sale or rent. Rooms to let
I looked around too, and even contacted the trailer company on P.Net but it would cost almost as much to ship the trailer as it was to buy one.

Check in your area especially welding places. Alot of those guys build trailers. In my area its a big biz! hundreds of boat, dory and horse trailors. I had one custom made. It can haul as many as 4 kayaks/canoes with a removable cross bars. I made the bed big enough to haul yard junk and wood too so its now a multipurpose trailer. It cost about 15 hundred which is pretty good. Has a drop gate in back that I could walk intside, lights and the works.

nm

I bought a small jon boat trailer…
for 100 bucks. I rewired it and bought new lights. Then I replaced the running boards with 8’ 4x4’s and put a 2x4 perpendicular across the ends of the 4x4’s. It looks like a roman numeral 2 (II, with the top and bottom connected). I then put a double layer of carpet padding under the carpet I covered the wood with. I came out under 200, and I’ve been using this setup for over 2 years.

In my state, boat trailers need not to be regestered, but utility trailers do. That swayed my decision to modify a boat trailer over a utility trailer, no tags.

sorry
I am not sure how to pass along the URL I guess.

Sports Rig
Go to their website at sportsrig.com or check them out in the product reviews section. Rigging up something on you own as suggested by others might save a few bucks, or not depending, but there is no better engineered trailer for light loads. Check out their suspension system. The Sportsrig is smooth and treats your boats gently, instead of pounding the living bejesus out of them. There is a platform option to protect the hulls from rocks, and the trailer even folds up for storage against a wall in the garage. If you are fussy and want the best option, Sportsrig is your answer.

FWIW, I have no affiliation with this company, but I am a very satisfied customer. Mine is 3 years old, looks like new, and has maybe 10,000 miles at high speed on it.

Regards,

Bill