Training without paddling?

Do you think you can train for a race without actually paddling.

It is way to cold and snowy, (but not enough snow for x-country skiing) to get into a yak and paddle, but I want to race in a 13 miler in the beginning of Feb.

My game plan which I have already started is aerobic training on my wind trainer, working up to as long a period as I can take spinning in a 53/13. Right now that is two minutes on and then three in a lower gear.

Then on alternate days doing upper body workouts.

I am never too competetive, since I will be paddling my heavy plastic Eclipse, but I just don’t want to be left sucking hind wind.

Has anyone else ever done this, and is there anything else I should add?

Cheers,

JackL

indoor training
I have a Concept2 rowing machine with the Vermont Waterways canoe paddling adapter. It seems to work really well. They also make a kayak paddling adapter, but I’ve never tried one of them. Speedstroke also makes a kayak paddling trainer. I thought someone on this board said they had ordered one of the Speedstroke trainers. Both of these are rather pricey options. In the past, I’ve just tried to figure out weight lifting and other exercises that come as close as possible to mimicking the paddling action and combining those with some aerobic work on a stepper or bicycle wind trainer or something like that. I figure that anything I do is better than nothing.

Me
as part of my on going 2 years now, new years resolution ( I never accomplished what i wanted to do in 03!!!). I Mt-bike as my training, I know its not paddling but it keeps the weight down and the heart rate up, and its a blast. also its easier for me as I just ride out my garage and hit the trails across the street, wish I lived on the water. The base gym has some very nice equipment, but I get bored when the scenery doesn’t change, and then there is the commute to and from the gym, and fighting the crowds of folks if you go at the wrong times. I would really like to know how I can get my Local Y to allow me to bring my yak in to the pool for Roll practice!! I wish the base had an indoor pool…

"Paddleone"
Paddleone is a company out of Quebec builing very good canoe AND kayak trainers, designed by world class racer Patrick Lynch. Can’t think of the website offhand but I’m sure it will turn up on a google search.

A friend of mine has the canoeing model and I’m planning on getting the K1 trainer myself.

Cheers…Joe O’

Time is short
DO anything aerobic so you current fitness doesn’t slide, and you so maybe gain some. Either something you can maintain for the 2-3 hours of the race at that pace/heart rate - or more intense for less time (or both). Cycling is good, as is running. If too cold for that - I’d suggst indoor aerobics. Taebo and such give a pretty decent overall toning/flex workout and really hit the abs. All this transfers pretty directly to paddling. If you’re not doing the “Advanced” it isn’t enough - but better than nothing.

Some upper body resistence work could benefit too - just not so much that you risk a shoulder or something this close to the race. Dumbell routines are good. Rather that lift to a set schedule - try doing it to recovery. In other words, you work out - next day you feel sore - then don’t lift again until soreness is completely gone. Otherwise you aren’t maximizing muscle repair and can lose ground.

Stretching/yoga also helpful, particulary as a post aerobic cool down.

Take the week before off to ensure full recovery/repair of all systems!

See ya there!

I’ve been indoor rowing
on the concept2 rower. They have a great website with lots of training information. If you have access to one at a gym, you may find you like it-I did and now I am hooked!

It seemed that I could paddle with less effort and more efficiency when I did get a chance to head out with some paddling friends over the holidays. They were paddling an artic tern and a QCC 600 and I was paddling my pungo due to a toe injury. We were not racing, but I had no trouble keeping up. One of my fellow paddlers from that day recently posted that he has now started using the concept2 so he can keep up with me next time:)

That said, anything aerobic will probably meet your needs.

Row row row your machine
I’ve also found that using an indoor rowing machine is the best training for paddling without actually having a paddle in your hands. It works your arms, abs, and legs, and also provides an intense (more intense than paddling even) cardiovascular workout. Having some tunes is essential though – as it gets to be drudgery pretty fast otherwise.

If You Have Enough Snow…
the cross country skiing is a superb choice. The poling motion works a number of the muscle groups used for paddling, back, lats, etc. The diagonal stride is helpful for LSD work (long steady/slow distance); skate skiing is just an all around power workout. When it’s cold but no snow, I take to mountain biking-great workout. I’ve also been working the weights, wind trainer and concept ergometer for cardio work, when i can’t get out to ride. Last week taped ankle weights to the ends of a short section of broomstick, and have been practicing my forward stroke sitting up on the coffee table, watching tv. Feel it in my shoulders from holding the ‘paddle’ up, and my side muscles (obliques, etc.) felt sore after the repeated rotation. Can you tell it’s winter here in the Northeast?