Transferring old bars and saddles to new car

We have had (since 2006) Thule 58" bars and 2 sets of their Glide-and-Set saddles to transport our 2 rec kayaks in an upright position on our 2002 Toyota Camry 4 door sedan.
Two years ago we acquired a 2018 Toyota Camry 4 door sedan and now want to switch our bars and saddles to the new car.
Thule says that what we need is the Thule # 1867 Fit Kit. However, that kit is no longer available. I would add that two years ago Thule said I also needed a Thule # 480 Foot Pack.
Unclear if that is needed. Unfortunately we did not proceed and purchase the items then.
I’m looking for suggestions about how to proceed and hopefully locate the few parts needed to transfer the saddles and bars, or failing that, ideas for new racks.
I am not interested in J-Racks, Hullivators or trailers. Loading our 50 lb. and 55 lb kayaks using our Rollerloader onto the upright saddles still meets my needs at age 77.
Thanks for your help.

Michael

Call Marshall at The River Connection in Hyde Park. I am personally dumping Thule for the underpinnings of my rack system once any portion of my present equipment decides to go south on me. Seriously dissatisfied with Thules approach for flush rails.

For my vehicle, there are alternative Yakima parts that would work and still adapt to my hullivator. Might be a similar option for your car. It is at least worth asking.

1 Like

Thanks Celia. I’ve read many of your postings over the years (likely decades).

We’ve driven our old Camry with kayaks on top to upstate NY and to New Hampshire many times from our home in Northern Virginia and of course safety on the highways is the #1 priority so having a secure rack system is vital.

Thanks again. I’m still waiting to see if Thule has an answer for me, now that we’ve almost decided to take the “new” car up to New Hampshire in Sept.

Michael

Michael,
Have you tried fitting your existing rack on the new car? I’ve no experience with Thule, but in my experience with Yakima the parts aren’t quite as proprietary as they would lead you to believe.
Just my opinion, I’m sure some will roast me for it, but if you can adjust it so it fits well, I’d go with it.

In new Thule all the Feet are connected to the bars by way of a slot on the underside of the bars. Trivia note that might be of use to the wider world is that old Traverse and Aero Feet will accept the modern bars. No change to the dimensions of the square bars.

You can search for a leftover stock amongst various online outlets but all of the Fit Kits are being made for the modern Evo Foot system.

All new your vehicle requires
WingBar or SquareBar 135
Evo Clamp Foot
Fit Kit 145082 (good supply at Thule USA HQ)

Will install for good coffee, baked goods or treats for the Staff (Maisie & Malvolio - Brown Hounds)

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: Redirecting...
Instagram: Login • Instagram

Thanks Marshall for your detailed advice.
It sounds as if we need to start from scratch with a completely new system and can’t re-use any of the old components unless we are lucky enough to locate an older Fit Kit.
I will try to call you and verify that I understand the situation.
Thanks again.
Michael

Hi Michael

The only part I’d need to have ready for you in advance is the Fit Kit. A couple of days notice will suffice to have it at the ready.

Give a call. If I’m on land I’ll pick up.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: Redirecting...
Instagram: Login • Instagram