Transporting 18' Sundowner Canoe w/ Short Bed Pickup & Hitch Extender

I recently replaced a Suburban with a Chevy Silverado pickup truck with a short bed. I need to transport my Wenonah 18’ Sundowner canoe from northern Illinois to a cabin in northern Wisconsin - driving in daylight (not night).

The bed is 6.4 feet long, and with the tailgate down the total bed+gate support length is 8.3 feet with strong attach points at the four lower corners of the bed. I’m considering purchasing the Darby Extend-a-Truck bed extender, which extends 53 inches from hitch - I estimate will place the extension support bar about 12 feet behind the front of the pickup bed, leaving roughly 6’ of canoe hanging from the back. Wisconsin law says it would need a red flag by day or a light by night since it extends more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the truck.

Do you think this setup will be safe?

Eventually I also hope to use this hitch extender to transport two 11.5 foot fishing kayaks (each about 32 inches wide) side-by-side for relatively short distances.

Thanks for your feedback!!

It may be secure if you take good care. Personally, I’d prefer to transport it on the roof of the truck cab, if you have the racks, or on a ladder rack mounted on the bed. It leaves the truck bed open for use and a lot less overhang in the rear.
T

@tjalmy said:
It may be secure if you take good care. Personally, I’d prefer to transport it on the roof of the truck cab, if you have the racks, or on a ladder rack mounted on the bed. It leaves the truck bed open for use and a lot less overhang in the rear.
T

Agreed.