Transporting 3 Kayaks on top of SUV

Can someone tell me how to carry 3 rec style kayaks (Perception) on top of a 1999 Toyota 4Runner with a factory rack. I was originally told to use the kayak stacker, but now was told that is only for shorter whitewater kayaks. I also have been on the different websites that you put your make and model of vehicle in and it configures a rack for you—however, I find they still give me TOO many choices. (different feet–different rails,ect) I just want someone to tell me what I need to buy—and what I don’t need to buy.

What is the least expensive way to do this and the safest way. Thanks

Tina

Kayak Stacker
works very well. I’ve had three poly sea kayaks on my roof with a Yakim Kayak Stacker, and it worked just fine. Be sure to run bow and stern lines, have fun.

I second the Kayak Stacker
I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna Mini van with factory rack. I added Yakima crossbars attached to the factory rack with Yakima Low Riders. I keep the kayak stackers rotated flat unless I’m using them. Not only have I carried short whitewater boats on the stackers, but longer touring kayaks. I do secure them well, including bow and stern lines. Right now, my Wenonah Sandpiper canoe is on the stacker because I have a paddling partner with a boat that is too wide to put both of our canoes side by side on my yakima rack, so I put my canoe on the stackers. Works like a champ. Go for it and have fun. Just watch the weight limits of your roof rack…and the height limitations of your local fast food drive-thru!

Jill

Yakima Kayak Stacker
I have honda element, with a stacker. I carry 3 rec boats. 2 Dagger backwater 12.5 and a Dagger Catalyst 12.8. I don’t even strap them to the front or rear bumper. I’ve been up to 100 mph with the boats up there and they didn’t move.

Jason S.

Thanks
What about the two different towers that Yakima sells—the Q Tower and the Control Tower–which one do I need. What is the difference?

What length crossbars?

Anything else I need?

Yakima over Thule???

Thanks for the info–I am aware that I cannot use my factory cross bars and am prepared to purchase whatever I have to. I guess the person I was talking to was referring to the Thule Stacker—which is only for shorter whitewater craft. Thanks again. Any more input would also be appreciated.

Thule Hull-a-ports
We are able to get three yaks on a Nissan Pathfinder using two thule hull-a-ports (J cradles) and then putting one kayak on foam blocks in between. I have pictures of this set up - e-mail me if you’d like to see them. According to our kayak store, the J cradles are easier to use than the stackers. I’ve never tried the stacker, so I can’t comment, but the J cradles are easy to use and provide good support.

Save your money
You can buy Malone carriers and save $20 to $40 a set and still get the best product out there. Read the posts on Malone. I’ve been a customer for two years and am totally satisfied.

Toyota 4Runner
I have a Toyota 4Runner and it took some searching, but I finally found out that the factory racks are only rated for 150 lbs. Be careful.

but…
What about the two different towers that Yakima sells—the Q Tower and the Control Tower–which one do I need. What is the difference?

What length crossbars?

Anything else I need?

Yakima over Thule???

Thanks for the info–I am aware that I cannot use my factory cross bars and am prepared to purchase whatever I have to. I guess the person I was talking to was referring to the Thule Stacker—which is only for shorter whitewater craft. Thanks again. Any more input would also be appreciated.

Toyota 4Runner
So what kind of rack system do you use? When you say factory rack–do you mean the crossbars or the actual part that is attached to the roof?

manufacturer websites
You should be able to find out more info re: load bars, etc. by going on any of the manufacturers websites. I know the Thule website allows you to plug in your vehicle information and will tell you what you will need to fit your car. I’m sure Yakima and other manufacturers allow you to do the same.

Manufacturers website
>>>>>>You should be able to find out more info re: load bars, etc. by going on any of the manufacturers websites. I know the Thule website allows you to plug in your vehicle information and will tell you what you will need to fit your car. I’m sure Yakima and other manufacturers allow you to do the same.

Like I said in my first e-mail—I did do this on each manufacturers website–but they still give too many choices. They give a choice of 2-3 different feet, 5 different lenghts of crossbars and several different ways to carry the kayak. I’m more of a ‘tell me what to get’ person and I will get it. When you don’t know a lot about what to get—too many choices doesn’t help.

More info
The Q towers attach to your doorframe and the control towers attach to your current roof rack tracks but you need additonal landing pads. Compare prices but I would suggest control towers. 58" crossbars are ideal but aesthetically may look too wide on your roof. Then add stackers and you’ll be all set. Don’t forget enough straps. As I recall only 2 straps came with my stackers.

To summarize (just my opinion)

control towers

landing pads

58" crossbars

kayak stackers

4 straps total

ORSracksdirect is my favorite online source

Good Luck

RE:more info
Thanks for you reply. I appreciate it!

Tina