transporting a bike

Roller blade
More practical will be a set of roller blade. A buddy of mine does that often.

Ride your bike to put in with boats in the pannier. Lock bike to tree and paddle down river, blades in the boat. Roll back to bike at end of paddle.

If you’re really hardy, you can pack your boat up into a backpack and roll back to your bike!

Hi all,
More than 10 years later, I’m also looking for a solution for transporting my bike with my kayak. Has anyone come up with an idea since?

You could also research how packrafters break down and attach bikes to their raft.

A really lightweight road bike could probably go inverted and use ratchet straps around the hull?

Take the wheels off is another possibility because I know mine on the Vitus are easy.

I have one ten pound carbon fibre bike and I bet you could take the wheels off, invert the frame behind the cockpit and strap it down. Put the wheels on the front deck.

I’d carry the bike frame flat on it’s side on the rear deck and the wheels on the front deck. However you’re still going to make the kayak less stable with all the weight that high. To get a really light bike, you are going to spend quite a bit, just like a light kayak. Carrying the bike vertically would make it very vulnerable to wind capsizing the kayak in addition to raising the center of gravity even higher.

A self or assisted rescue would probably be impossible and the capsized kayak would be very happy dead upside down if you are planning on kayaking on open water.

You would be better off using a canoe that could carry the bike and a light weight breakdown trailer that could transport the canoe with the bike if that’s what you want to do.

I am both a cyclist and a kayaker. I did a little googling and came up with these guys: Solo Shuttle Trailer lets you kayak with your bike ... and bike with your kayak. I know nothing about them, but the idea of a bike attached to the back desk is intriguing. Some critics have noted that it makes the kayak unstable. YMMV I guess…

2 Likes

Assuming the bike, wheel bearings, gearing, etc. can get wet (it seems like expecting them to stay dry would be a bad assumption anyway), how about laying the bike down, across the rear deck with the wheels hanging out over the sides. Then attach inflatable stabilizers/sponsons to the ends of the wheels. You would need to secure the wheels from turning and also keep the front fork fixed (i.e., keep it from turning as if steering), but it seems like that could be done with straps or ropes. Something like this picture, but the entire bike replaces the pole that holds the sponsons. Search Amazon for “kayak stabilizer”.

1 Like

That’s what I pictured but I doubt it would work on a very LV hull.

What’s the objective of the OP? I assumed to ride back to his vehicle.

Given that the original post was back in 2011, I imagine that the OP either succeeded in finding a way, gave up, or drowned attempting it.

1 Like

Julie and Colin Angus traveled from the northern tip of Scotland to Syria in 2008, all human powered.

Rowed Trip – Scotland to Syria by Oar – Angus Adventures**
“Rowcruisers” plus bicycles got them across land and water.

1 Like

Wow! Hauling 600 lbs + between the two of them. What a great adventure, but I won’t even pretend to put it on my bucket list.

1 Like